Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How to best get refund for multi-carrier US-Germany flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

we have two tickets through Orbitz for flights to Germany in July that we purchased many months ago. We don't want to fly anymore, and my understanding is that if the airline cancels first, we are entitled to a full refund. The connection info as originally booked in detail:
July 1:
AUS-FRA: UA 8822 (Operated by LH 469)
FRA-HAJ: UA 8946 (Operated by LH 52)
July 24:
HAJ-ZRH: LX815
ZRH-SFO: LX 3208
(Operated by UA 45)

My Questions:
- Orbitz already contacted me that LX 3208 has been changed to LX 38, which is 25 minutes earlier. Does this give me a legal handle to get a refund for the entire trip?
- In general, if a flight gets canceled on the first leg of the trip, does this mean I can get a refund for the return flights as well?
- What is the best place to find out whether these flights are still on, off, or undecided as of now? It looks like LH469 and LH 52 aren't flying since March, when/where would it be published that this route gets restarted?
- Any other advice what we could do to get a refund?

Thanks,
Joe
Old May 29, 2020, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeInSJ
we have two tickets through Orbitz for flights to Germany in July that we purchased many months ago. We don't want to fly anymore, and my understanding is that if the airline cancels first, we are entitled to a full refund. The connection info as originally booked in detail:
July 1:
AUS-FRA: UA 8822 (Operated by LH 469)
FRA-HAJ: UA 8946 (Operated by LH 52)
July 24:
HAJ-ZRH: LX815
ZRH-SFO: LX 3208
(Operated by UA 45)

My Questions:
- Orbitz already contacted me that LX 3208 has been changed to LX 38, which is 25 minutes earlier. Does this give me a legal handle to get a refund for the entire trip?
- In general, if a flight gets canceled on the first leg of the trip, does this mean I can get a refund for the return flights as well?
- What is the best place to find out whether these flights are still on, off, or undecided as of now? It looks like LH469 and LH 52 aren't flying since March, when/where would it be published that this route gets restarted?
- Any other advice what we could do to get a refund?
As you paid Orbitz, they are the only business that will/may give your money back if eligible A big "if". They may not have sent the $ to the airlines. They "own" the ticket.

25 minutes is not enough change for a refund. Needs to be hours
By July more flights could be operating, so check say 2 to 3 weeks out
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the connection still "legal" after the 25 minute change?

When you say two tickets, are there two passengers, each with a RT ticket, or does one person have two separate one way tickets?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you say two tickets, are there two passengers, each with a RT ticket, or does one person have two separate one way tickets?
There are two passengers, each has a return trip booked through one transaction with Orbitz. The flights to Germany and back each have separate airline booking references on different carriers.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't believe there is a basis as yet for a refund. There is really nothing for you to do at this point. If you cancel you certainly won't get a cash refund, at best a voucher. See what happens when you are about two weeks out. Whose ticket stock are these on?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't believe there is a basis as yet for a refund. There is really nothing for you to do at this point. If you cancel you certainly won't get a cash refund, at best a voucher. See what happens when you are about two weeks out. Whose ticket stock are these on?
There would be if the schedule change has created an illegal connection at FRA. OP hasn't answered about that.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:51 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
There is really nothing for you to do at this point. [...] See what happens when you are about two weeks out.
Yes -- waiting is the only sensible thing to do here.

Right now, neither of OP's transatlantic flights is open for new bookings. The chances of AUS-FRA resuming in July are close to zero. I would expect LH to cancel no later than 15 days out, i.e. on or before 16 June.

JoeInSJ: You'll probably get a cancellation email fairly soon, but make a note to review this again on 17 June if you haven't heard anything.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses. Based on the current status, it seems likely that:
A: the AUS-FRA flight LH 469 will be cancelled (I know of another traveler who is on the same flight with LH ticket bought in Germany and already got a cancellation notice)
B: the ZRH-SFO flight will happen with the new LX 38 flight.

Assuming that AUS-FRA LH 469 will be cancelled and the other flights still happen, am I legally entitled to a cash refund for
a.) Just LH 469
b.) LH 469 and its immediate connecting flight LH 52
c.) All flights in the same travel arrangement, including return flights LX 815 and LX 38

Thanks!
Joe

Whose ticket stock are these on?
The electronic tickets are bought at Orbitz; I have confirmation#s from United for the flights to Germany and from Swiss for the flights back. When I got to the United website, I see all 4 flights (Germany and back) listed under the United confirmation number.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 5, 2020 at 11:51 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:47 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thank you for all the responses. Based on the current status, it seems likely that:
A: the AUS-FRA flight LH 469 will be cancelled (I know of another traveler who is on the same flight with LH ticket bought in Germany and already got a cancellation notice)
B: the ZRH-SFO flight will happen with the new LX 38 flight.

Assuming that AUS-FRA LH 469 will be cancelled and the other flights still happen, am I legally entitled to a cash refund for
a.) Just LH 469
b.) LH 469 and its immediate connecting flight LH 52
c.) All flights in the same travel arrangement, including return flights LX 815 and LX 38
When I checked LH.com and LX.com some days ago they were still selling seats on LH469 and LX38. I just checked again and they are no longer selling seats on these flights which is good news for you. However, it looks like LH has officially confirmed flights/cancellations up to 14 June only so you may have to wait a little longer for confirmation. And since you bought your tickets from Orbitz you will have to wait for them to confirm cancellations of your flights and refund your tickets.

Incidentally you may also like to check this thread.

Nightmare From Orbitz; More of a Frustrating Rant
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The electronic tickets are bought at Orbitz; I have confirmation#s from United for the flights to Germany and from Swiss for the flights back. When I got to the United website, I see all 4 flights (Germany and back) listed under the United confirmation number.
What are the first three digits of the ticket number (not the confirmation)? That tells you what airline sold you the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.