Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Must fly from San Diego to Frankfurt in June. What airlines will be really flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must fly from San Diego to Frankfurt in June. What airlines will be really flying?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not to add to your stress, but I assume your medical clearance was issued by a German authority, correct? If you are permitted to board the flight to Germany, you will still need to present yourself to the Bundespolizei to clear immigration formalities. If you have been issued with a clearance to enter Germany from a competent German authority (for example the embassy, your German doctor stressing the importance of the procedure which was booked before Covid-19, etc) then you will be ok. I think a note from your US doctor, on the other hand, would not be sufficient reason to let you enter. I would call the Bundespolizei and inform myself how this is likely to play out. Good luck!
Thank you for the appropriate warning, especially for others who may read this thread.
Yes, my doctor in Frankfurt is giving me a clearance letter, and he has done this with 2 other patients from the USA in the last 2 months. However, they did say to expect some issues when checking in, for at least one other patient the USA check-in process involved them calling security at FRA to be sure it was all OK. It is one of the reasons I am really trying to fly on a single airline, with one booking, through at most one US connection and then on directly to Frankfurt.
And I did buy "cancel for any reason" trip insurance just in case.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ok, sounds good. I’d still give the BP at FRA a call, just for comfort.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by vintageprop
Thank you for the appropriate warning, especially for others who may read this thread.
Yes, my doctor in Frankfurt is giving me a clearance letter, and he has done this with 2 other patients from the USA in the last 2 months. However, they did say to expect some issues when checking in, for at least one other patient the USA check-in process involved them calling security at FRA to be sure it was all OK. It is one of the reasons I am really trying to fly on a single airline, with one booking, through at most one US connection and then on directly to Frankfurt.
And I did buy "cancel for any reason" trip insurance just in case.
How could a doctor in Frankfurt clear you? I'm not trying to get personal, but how could he know one way or the other if you have COVID-19?
Old May 25, 2020, 1:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by largeeyes
How could a doctor in Frankfurt clear you? I'm not trying to get personal, but how could he know one way or the other if you have COVID-19?
I don't think that the Frankfurt doctor is giving any opinion on Covid-19, but rather confirming that there is an essential operation scheduled. Not that that amounts to a clearance.
largeeyes likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't think that the Frankfurt doctor is giving any opinion on Covid-19, but rather confirming that there is an essential operation scheduled. Not that that amounts to a clearance.
That's what my assumption was as well, and I don't see how that gets him in.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:39 am
Suspended

Maybe there's a nice BP officer on duty. The question is whether he will be able to board in the first place.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Update
Well that was an interesting start.
Went to the airport to check in.
America airlines wouldn't accept my entry authorization letter. They have no provision listed in their system for a medical exception. Trust me, I worked that counter a long time and they all wanted to help but the staff on the phone locked me out. They called 3 times begging for me.
​​
So...
I went to the United desk... And... No problem. They scanned my letter, sent it to some medical desk and then cleared me. Got the last Business class seat and had to run, but I am now in
​​​​the air! It's a tight connection at IAD, which it why I didn't choose this flight in the first place, but looks good at the moment.

Originally Posted by largeeyes
That's what my assumption was as well, and I don't see how that gets him in.
Germany allows entry for genuine essential medical treatment. Which I am overdue for. Trust me, it's not going to be a fun trip.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 14, 2020 at 1:52 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:48 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Got the last Business class seat and had to run, but I am now in
​​​​the air! It's a tight connection at IAD, which it why I didn't choose this flight in the first place, but looks good at the moment.
UA546 is expected to arrive early and the departure of UA989 is slightly delayed, so you should be fine!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
UA546 is expected to arrive early and the departure of UA989 is slightly delayed, so you should be fine!
UA's real scrutiny will be at IAD. Hope OP will survive it.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
UA's real scrutiny will be at IAD. Hope OP will survive it.
No problem, now on board the flight from IAD to FRA.
Actually, they just double checked I actually had the letter, all the real scrutiny was at SAN.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
No problem, now on board the flight from IAD to FRA.
Actually, they just double checked I actually had the letter, all the real scrutiny was at SAN.
Just curious - how full is the flight?

Safe travels!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Just curious - how full is the flight?

Safe travels!
​​​​​​SAN to IAD was 70%+ full with biz 100‰
IAD to FRA is also mostly full, biz is also close to100%
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:58 pm

Germany allows entry for genuine essential medical treatment. Which I am overdue for. Trust me, it's not going to be a fun trip.
Wishing you good health and a quick recovery.

As noted there is another poster also flying from the US to Germany for medical treatment. It is very common in Germany for hospitals and clinics to have a travel department to facilitate for foreign visitors to receive medical treatment. They make a number of arrangements and this is exactly what they are there for ie to smooth the way for people to receive care they may not be able to access at home.

Safe travels to you, and to the other poster also going to Germany for treatment.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:09 am
Original Poster

No problem at the passport control in Frankfurt. They checked the letter and waved me in. Now resting at my hotel.
Thanks to everyone for the help and comments.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
​​​​​​SAN to IAD was 70%+ full with biz 100‰
IAD to FRA is also mostly full, biz is also close to100%
That's great to hear with load factors increasing. Hope everything goes well for you, and glad to hear you made it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.