FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Which countries are open for US tourists? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2018218-countries-open-us-tourists.html)

FlyingSloth May 22, 2020 10:18 am

Which countries are open for US tourists?

I have been trying to piece together information from various news sites, threads on FlyerTalk, and Google searches but I have not been successful in finding any countries open for foreign tourists either in Asia or Europe.

I read one article that stated Iceland might reopen for tourists in mid-June. Does anyone know of any other countries anywhere in Asia or Europe open for tourists by the middle of June? I'm genuinely curious whether there are any countries open, or whether all countries in these two major continents are closed until at least July.

I'll be traveling back to the United States from southeast Asia, and also for personal reasons I am curious of any stopover countries that could be a potential option to read more about. As far as I can tell.. countries I have looked at so far.. Malaysia, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, and a few others are all completely closed with no foreign visitors or tourists allowed. If anyone on FlyerTalk knows of an open country in June, I'd really love to know.

nomiiiii May 22, 2020 10:43 am

OP if you can rename the title to make this a thread of iinterest for US tourists wanting to go abroad, that'll be great - with the goal to gather info on which countries are open for tourism by US citizens if you don't have family ties/residency, and if you want to avoid the 14 day quarantines (because that defeats the purpose of tourism).

So far, the only two countries I've heard that will be open by late-June-ish are Tanzania and Mexico (cancun area). Nothing in Europe or Asia open to US tourism definitively so far.

enviroian May 22, 2020 11:43 am

I thought the EU was opening it's borders June 15th?

Seph87 May 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32395913)

My understanding is that the blanket ban expires on June 15th but each country can continue it at their discretion.

nerdbirdsjc May 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Seph87 (Post 32395993)
My understanding is that the blanket ban expires on June 15th but each country can continue it at their discretion.

Right, and virtually all European countries will maintain bans or strict quarantines on North American visitors throughout the summer so as to not jeopardize intra-European inflows.

84fiero May 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Greece is opening up to tourism from some countries initially in June and potentially more after 01 July. The announcement I saw didn't have a ton of detail. I don't recall the US being specifically listed for June, but wasn't really reading it that intently. Just thought I'd mention it.

FlyingSloth May 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii (Post 32395757)
OP if you can rename the title to make this a thread of iinterest for US tourists wanting to go abroad, that'll be great - with the goal to gather info on which countries are open for tourism by US citizens if you don't have family ties/residency, and if you want to avoid the 14 day quarantines (because that defeats the purpose of tourism).

So far, the only two countries I've heard that will be open by late-June-ish are Tanzania and Mexico (cancun area). Nothing in Europe or Asia open to US tourism definitively so far.

Done. I changed the title. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is only Cancun open? I actually had plans to travel from Asia to Mexico back in March. I'm still supposed to visit my friends in Mexico, and I heard that Mexico is open, but I would not go at this time because the COVID numbers in Mexico are sadly going through the roof and the amount of testing is also low too.

Goldorak May 23, 2020 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Seph87 (Post 32395993)

If you are talking about external Schengen borders, I don't think every country can decide what they will do. Schengen borders open or closed to non-Schengen citizens is a common decision applying to all Schengen member states for obvious reasons. It is opening/closing of each member state border intra-Schengen (e.g. France-Germany, Austria-Slovakia, etc) which remains at each country's discretion.
The current closing of external Schengen borders will likely be extended beyond June 15 IMO.

Dan1113 May 23, 2020 4:43 am

Yes, I would be surprised if the external border closures are not extended for another month at least.

Owenc May 23, 2020 6:16 am

Very few. We are in the early stages of the Pandemic, I wouldn't advise travelling abroad.

aj411 May 23, 2020 6:26 am

several Caribbean islands are beginning to open to tourists in June. Not much information on whether North American visitors will be welcome. I think the first ones that will be open to US citizens will be the US islands where a passport isn't required (not a huge leap there) but Jamaica as has specifically been targeting US audiences with their information on opening

Owenc May 23, 2020 6:27 am

Not to Americans. Why would we? Your president probably won't open his borders to us for months.

MsEllie May 23, 2020 6:58 am

There is a chart on Reuters that shows what is open in each country. You can click on each box for details.

I'm new and can't post URLs yet, but go to Reuters, scroll down half a page, and look for a chart with green boxes.

I'm dying to travel abroad, and am still sitting on 2 sets of international tickets for June and July, but we (the US) don't have the best reputation right now for how we've handled the virus.

Collierkr May 23, 2020 7:12 am

doubtful and if they do they will have a 14 day quarantine.

asar May 23, 2020 7:33 am

Mexico has no entry restrictions. In Mexico City and most of the country hotels remain closed. Restaurants are takeout only. For Cancun I expect a clear indication of when they reopen but for the rest of the country there may be many last-minute decisions and lack of clarity. In Mexico City all measures are voluntary, so you can go out and about if you like.

While the government is generally assuming a June reopening, even with very limited testing the curve keeps getting steeper, so it may be best to wait.