Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Which countries are open for US tourists?

Old May 28, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Find out which countries are welcoming US tourists back (CNN) - Last updated April 22, 2021.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

IATA COVID-19 Regulations Map (clickable countries): https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Partial List of countries that will admit vaccinated tourists here (last updated Feb 22):

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/count...re-vaccinated/

Africa:
Morocco, Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya
- all now seem to be open but with a 72/96hr covid cert requirement
Seychelles - previously opened to vaccinated travelers in January, now open to all travelers; Visitors are required to present a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to departure, and visitors will still be required to adhere to other public health measures such as mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing. more info
Egypt - Must present negative COVID test taken within 96 hours prior to arrival - PAPER test results required, no digital copies accepted, 14-day quarantine only required if you test positive during stay. Restaurants at 50% capacity and masks required indoors and in public transportation. more info

Middle East
Jordan - negative test taken within 72 hours; complete passenger declaration form & locator form; second PCR test on arrival in Amman with the payment of JD 28 (children under the age of five are exempt); health insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment for the entire period of visit. more info here here and here

Caribbean:
Almost-daily updated summary of all Caribbean island requirements: GoogleDocs
Aruba - negative test within 72 hours mandatory for 24 states, while the other states can also take a test beforehand or be tested upon arrival. All visitors will be required to purchase Aruba insurance when filling out their arrival ED card. Any personal insurance will act as a supplement. more info
Bahamas - negative rt-pcr test with-in five days of arrival more info
Bermuda - negative test within five days of arrival along with a mandatory $75 online entry travel authorization form. Re-tested upon arrival, as well as on Day 3, 7 & 14. Temperature must be taken twice daily and reported online. more info
Jamaica - negative test within 3 days of the date of travels and travel authorization
Turks & Caicos - negative test within five days, as well as health insurance required more info

Europe:
Belarus - negative COVID-19 test result. The PCR test must be done no later than three days before the border crossing date (this period includes the date of border crossing); 21 October: required to self-isolate for 10 days upon the arrival in Belarus. more info
Croatia - Entry for tourism is permitted only with documentary evidence of an accommodation paid in advance and in full, prior to arrival at the border. Tourists must have a negative PCR test result not older than 48 hours from the time of the swab to crossing the border; or vaccination certificate; or positive test confirming recovery from infection; or testing immediately upon arrival in the Croatia (at their own expense), with the obligation to stay in self-isolation until the arrival of a negative test result. more info
Greece - As of April 19, residents of the United States are now allowed to enter Greece. All travelers entering Greece are required to present a negative molecular test result (PCR test) for COVID-19, performed up to 72 hours before their entry to Greece.Fully vaccinated individuals who are residents of the U.S. may enter Greece without a PCR test if they present a vaccination certificate. The vaccination certificate must be in English, issued by a public authority, and demonstrate that vaccination was completed at least 14 days before arrival to Greece. However, PCR tests may still be required for transit points. more info
Iceland - The Minister of Justice of Iceland has decided that the previously announced decision to exempt from travel restrictions those who can provide proof of vaccination or prior infection will take effect on 6 April. The change in regulation will allow travellers from non-Schengen countries, who meet the criteria, to travel to Iceland for non-essential reasons. Otherwise mandatory 5-6 day quarantine between 2 tests more info
Ireland - 14-day quarantine (self-isolation) on arrival
Malta - ok after 14-day quarantine in safe country (e.g. EU)
Moldova - entry allowed without quarantine etc if you hold vaccination certificate proof
Montenegro - negative PCR test no older than 72 hours US Embassy in Montenegro
Serbia - foreigners seeking to enter Serbia, U.S. citizens included, will need to provide a negative PCR test, not older than 48 hours more info
Slovenia - vaccinated adults or negative test within 48 hours can skip 10-days quarantine (children who accompany adults can also skip quarantine)
Turkey - negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to their flight
United Kingdom - negative test within 72 hours prior to departure plus 10-day self-isolation upon arrival from non-exempt countries (may be shortened after 5 days through Test to Release in England)

Asia:
Armenia - Travelers entering Armenia are asked to present the results of a PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival or submit to a PCR test at the airport. Individuals who choose to take a PCR test and receive a negative result may be exempted from self-quarantine requirements.
Dubai - bring 96 hour PCR test and free to enter https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ling-to-dubai/
Georgia - unconditionally admitted to Georgia if they present a COVID-19 vaccine certificate confirming receipt of two full doses of the vaccine. Unvaccinated: Present a negative PCR test result taken within the past 72 hours; get a follow-up PCR test at their own expense on the third day after arrival in Georgia; complete an application form with contact details and travel history. more info
Kyrgyzstan - United States citizen travelers may now enter the country via international airports in Bishkek, Osh, and Issyk Kul. Requires travelers to have negative PCR test results, with the test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival into Kyrgyzstan. more info
Maldives - required to present a negative PCR certificate upon arrival. Traveler Health Declaration (THD) must be filled in and submitted within 24 hours prior to their travel. more info
Pakistan - get the online e-visa, also check if you need pcr test here: http://covid.gov.pk/intl_travellers/current_policies. For exiting pakistan, pcr test is required by almost all airlines done through specific labs (check airline website).
Thailand - Visa free entry good for 45 days. Also other visas. Need COE (Certificate of Entry) from Embassy, PCR test, insurance, 14-night quarantine at hotel/hospital. Details: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/
Uzbekistan - permitted to enter Uzbekistan but usually need a visa; negative PCR COVID-19 test is required for entry within 72 hours of the initiation of travel to Uzbekistan; arriving passengers must complete a health screening form upon arrival; arriving passengers are also subject to a rapid antigen test at the airport upon arrival regardless of PCR test status more info

North America:
Mexico
- Cancun area - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...rus/index.html
- Puerto Vallarta - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32454183-post317.html
- Land borders open - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32421620-post171.html

Central America:
Costa Rica: does not request coronavirus screening tests nor does it issue sanitary confinement orders as requirements to enter the country by air. Health Pass can only be completed 48 hours before boarding. Tourists must purchase mandatory travel insurance that covers quarantine accommodation and medical expenses due to COVID-19 disease. more info
Panama: open to US resident with negative test within past 48 hours.

South America:
Brazil - the entry of foreign visitors traveling by air for a short stay of up to 90 days is currently permitted but beginning December 30, all travelers to Brazil by air (Brazilians and foreigners) must present 1) a negative/non reactive COVID-19 test as well as 2) proof of a completed Declaration of Traveler’s Health (DSV) to the airline responsible for the flight, before boarding. Level 4 DO NOT TRAVEL warning in effect
Chile - all travelers, including Chileans, foreign residents, accredited diplomats, and foreign tourists, must complete an obligatory 10-day quarantine upon their arrival to Chile. They will be able to leave quarantine with a negative PCR result based on a test taken on or after the seventh day in quarantine. Travelers must remain in quarantine while they await their result. more info
Colombia - travelers arriving to Colombia must present negative results from a COVID-19 PCR test administered no more than 96 hours prior to departure; travelers are expected to quarantine for 10 days or 7 days with a negative test 3-5 days after arrival. more info
Ecuador - all travelers (including minors) arriving in Ecuador must provide proof of a negative COVID RT-PCR or rapid antigen test taken no more than three (3) days before entering the country or present a vaccination card showing the traveler received a complete series of the COVID vaccine more info
Peru - inbound international passengers must have either a negative real-time COVID-19 molecular (RT-PCR), negative antigen test result, or a medical certificate of epidemiological discharge that is no more than 72 hours old after being issued and before boarding the plane. As of March 15, 2021, the Government of Peru announced that travelers who take an antigen test and receive a negative result after their first day of arrival may suspend the 14-day quarantine requirement. Travelers may take an antigen test at the airport, a local hospital, or any laboratory authorized by the Ministry of Health. ​Travelers who test positive must complete the 14-day quarantine.more info

Official government and airline pages for US travelers (in alphabetical order):
Print Wikipost

Which countries are open for US tourists?

Old Aug 27, 2020, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by downinit
I just spent over a week traveling through HR and I can say that these new restrictions are definitely a step in the right direction. They are actually fairly minor changes that will not really affect much for travelers. Coming from California, it took me a few days to get used to the fact that no one was wearing masks anywhere other than inside stores, planes, and ferries. Even in crowded areas and nightclubs, it was wall-to-wall people with zero masks to be seen. I know that they have handled C-19 infinitely better than we have, but there seemed to be virtually no precaution or awareness for the most part, which is exactly what could cause cases to spike very quickly. As it is, the number of daily cases have increased 3-4x in the past few weeks.
That said, this was my second trip to HR, and it was definitely worth the hassle of getting there and traveling restrictions. The country is absolutely stunning, and there are so many picturesque place to visit where social distancing is not a concern, both rural and urban. Outside of Dubrovnik, there were few tourists to be seen anywhere (Šibenik was deserted), and the traffic up and down the coast was infinitely better than my trip last summer. It is definitely a great time to visit, if you can pull it off.
Thanks so much downinit. Fingers crossed that it doesn't spiral to the point of more restrictions in the next two weeks.
ebayj and downinit like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sweden has extended its external visitor ban. It was scheduled to expire at the end of August, but it will now continue until at least October 31st. ... most US passport users will still be excluded from visiting Sweden for the next couple of months at least.
It's now August 27 and cutting it close. I wonder when Timatic, used by U.S. airlines for departures, will be updated.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Well looks like my Budapest trip late November is off.

http://abouthungary.hu/

ETA where can I add an updated list? The info
they also are only accepting Covid test results from Hungarian labs.

BA won’t let me switch to IST so maybe ZAG. Ugh.

FYI my trip to BUD is starting and ending in the UK. I will already be there. Some countries in here EU are saying TRAVELERS not UK citizens are allowed to enter. Does this include me? I’m a US national. Is this a loophole? It’s very confusing.

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 28, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Well looks like my Budapest trip late November is off now.

they also are only accepting Covid test results from Hungarian labs.

BA won’t let me switch to IST so maybe ZAG. Ugh.
What was BA’s reasoning for not allowing a change/cancellation?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
At the risk of a reprimand from the mods (deservedly, I admit) I can't resist saying that BA doesn't think it needs to compete for your business by being nice to you.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST is greater than 300 miles from my original destination of BUD so they won’t change it for no charge. The cost to change the flight is Ł1700– more than the cost of my entire journey.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IST is greater than 300 miles from my original destination of BUD so they won’t change it for no charge. The cost to change the flight is Ł1700– more than the cost of my entire journey.
Thats ridiculous. What was your original routing and who issued the ticket? BA?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

two different flights dfw - LHR (AA metal) and and back and within that week trip the separate lhr-bud flight. All booked via on one itinerary via BA for $2400 all in (all J/C)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Why is it ridiculous? The flight is still operating, and the OP could still go if he were prepared to do tests and quarantine.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why is it ridiculous? The flight is still operating, and the OP could still go if he were prepared to do tests and quarantine.
im going for 3 nights. Before I could bring two negative tests taken within 48 hours and up to 5 days before. Now they only accept tests conducted in Hungary.

100% stupid and ridiculous.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 6:27 am
Suspended

FYI my trip to BUD is starting and ending in the UK. I will already be there. Some countries in here EU are saying TRAVELERS not UK citizens are allowed to enter. Does this include me? I’m a US national. Is this a loophole? It’s very confusing.
I can't comment on the specifics in Hungary and Croatia, I'll leave that to others.

But I can assure you it's confusing for those of us based in the EU, EEA, and the UK as well. One thing to keep in mind is that there can now be border controls intra-Schengen. Just ran into it a few days ago while flying between France and Germany.

So again, without knowing the all the details on the destinations you're now considering, you cannot just assume you will be admitted because your departure airport is in a country deemed safe. As an American, I don't think you are allowed to enter Croatia for personal reasons unless those are considered urgent (e.g., attending a funeral of a close relative; undergoing medical treatment etc.)

I don't think Hungary will admit Americans from Sep 1 onwards. (They won't admit Brits or Frenchmen or Austrians or ..., either.)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most airlines are offering very flexible change/cancellation policies right now. Leave it to BA to screw the customer wherever possible.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 6:33 am
Suspended

No. Hungary is not admitting any foreigners from Sep 1 onwards. If that's not sufficient reason for BA to refund the ticket, I'd conjecture there's a high probability enviroian's flight will be cancelled (unless the travel restriction is lifted again).
Old Aug 29, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
No. Hungary is not admitting any foreigners from Sep 1 onwards. If that's not sufficient reason for BA to refund the ticket, I'd conjecture there's a high probability enviroian's flight will be cancelled (unless the travel restriction is lifted again).
Good point. If UK nationals aren’t allowed either it makes sense they should cancel the lhr-bud flight. Maybe they’ll let up and let me re-book to IST.
I’ve been communicating via Twitter and their response is very slow. I’ll try their US number.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by funkydrummer
As an American, I don't think you are allowed to enter Croatia for personal reasons unless those are considered urgent (e.g., attending a funeral of a close relative; undergoing medical treatment etc.)
That is not true, at least as of today. Croatia is open to Americans and most others for tourism, with a simple negative PCR test taken no more than 48 hours prior to arrival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.