Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Which countries are open for US tourists in June 2020 and beyond?

Which countries are open for US tourists in June 2020 and beyond?

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
Where US citizens are allowed to travel to this summer (CNN) - Last updated July 28, 2020
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...-19/index.html

Africa:
Tanzania -
https://www.eturbonews.com/572450/ta...ith-open-arms/

Caribbean:
Aruba - negative test within 72 hours mandatory for 24 states, while the other states can also take a test beforehand or be tested upon arrival. All visitors will be required to purchase Aruba insurance when filling out their arrival ED card. Any personal insurance will act as a supplement. more info
Bahamas - 14 day mandatory quarantine and test required more info
Bermuda - negative test within five days of arrival along with a mandatory $75 online entry travel authorization form. Re-tested upon arrival, as well as on Day 3, 7 & 14. Temperature must be taken twice daily and reported online. more info
Jamaica - negative test within ten days of arrival from high risk areas (currently Florida, Texas, Arizona & New York. Locations will be re-accessed daily.); all other visitors may be tested on arrival more info
St. Lucia - negative test within 48 hours of flight to St. Lucia, temperature check on arrival more info [commercial flights may not be operating at the moment]
Turks & Caicos - negative test within five days, as well as health insurance required more info

Europe:
Belarus - https://by.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ "There are currently no travel restrictions in place as a result of the worldwide outbreak."
Croatia - negative test within 48 hours of arrival more info
Serbia - all COVID-19 related entry restrictions are lifted for both Serbian and foreign citizens per check on 5/29 https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/Serbia.html
Turkey - no entry restrictions

Asia:
Dubai (starting July 7th) - test at airport on arrival, then free to go (quarantine if positive result, free to roam otherwise) - https://twitter.com/DXBMediaOffice/s...41641115557888
Maldives (starting July 15th) - basically no restrictions - https://twitter.com/MoTmv/status/1275404148377300997

North America:
Mexico (cancun area) - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...rus/index.html
Mexico (puertovallarta) - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32454183-post317.html
Mexico (land borders open) - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32421620-post171.html

Official government and airline pages for US travelers (in alphabetical order):
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 1, 20, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold,
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I'm a British resident of Berlin but have nothing in writing to say that.
With Brexit now a fact you will need something in future, I'm sure you've looked into that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-after-eu-exit
Old Aug 1, 20, 3:59 pm

Going to Korea from US - has anyone done it recently?

I'd like to visit Korea but unfortunately there is currently a 2-week quarantine, and I don't think you can meet anyone during this time or go outside.

Has anyone done this recently? Where do you stay?
Will this quarantine change soon?
Old Aug 1, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, Capital One Points
Brazil opened to foreigners as of Thursday, you will need health insurance but its not clear what type. Reported on one mile at a time.

I'll probably be heading down in a month or two once the insurance requirements are clearer. Wide open award space with Delta Skymiles 77k Aeromexico in J from Mexico City to Sao Paolo. Super tempting.

For those about to regurgitate media propaganda about covid risk etc etc, just consider that even in places having a breakout maybe 1-2% of people are infected at any given time and truthfully if you're going to Brazil Covid is just one of a bazillion risks (crime, robbery, dengue, zika, being scammed etc). You gotta be pretty risk tolerant to head to Brazil anytime. But the country is just amazing! 😍

I'm going!

Last edited by PointsPanda; Aug 1, 20 at 5:35 pm
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by PointsPanda View Post
Brazil opened to foreigners as of Thursday, you will need health insurance but its not clear what type. Reported on one mile at a time.

For those about to regurgitate media propaganda about covid risk etc etc, just consider that even in places having a breakout maybe 1-2% of people are infected at any given time and truthfully if you're going to Brazil Covid is just one of a bazillion risks (crime, robbery, dengue, zika, being scammed etc). You gotta be pretty risk tolerant to head to Brazil anytime. But the country is just amazing! 😍

I'm going!
Nice to preempt discussion by casting any comment on your logic as a regurgitation; do have a pleasant trip.

BTW in the U.S. assuming there are 60,000 new positives every day and a person who tests positive is 'infected' for 14 days, only 0.25% of the population is infected. However the media propaganda shows that 1.8% of those who test positive die.
bensyd and PointsPanda like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:30 pm

Programs: Chase UR, Amex MR, Capital One Points
Originally Posted by JohnAx View Post
Nice to preempt discussion by casting any comment on your logic as a regurgitation; do have a pleasant trip.

BTW in the U.S. assuming there are 60,000 new positives every day and a person who tests positive is 'infected' for 14 days, only 0.25% of the population is infected. However the media propaganda shows that 1.8% of those who test positive die.
My hopes of NOT turning this into a political discussion has had the opposite effect 🤦🏼‍♂️ Anyways my apologies.
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
My hopes of NOT turning this into a political discussion has had the opposite effect 🤦🏼‍♂️ Anyways my apologies.
It wasn't you. Have a wonderful trip!
LETTERBOY and PointsPanda like this.
Old Aug 1, 20, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by Amil View Post
I can report that Istanbul works fine for US Citizens. I just took a flight with LH stop in FRA from LAX and got in yesterday with no issue. Also when I got to Frankfurt I wanted to go to FCL so I went to A which is the domestic side and no issues getting a stamp and I keep wondering if I was able to just exit the airport if I wanted to at that point. It was kind of strange lol.

btw I did the meet & greet service from the airplane https://www.igapass.com/en/iga-meet-and-greet-p-7000 and was a good experience for 70 euro.
I assume your flight was in First, so you were allowed to visit the First Class lounge, right?

If we're flying in Business, and the Senator lounge is closed (non Schengen), is it possible as a U.S. citizen transiting to get a pass to visit one of the open Schengen Senator lounges?
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
I assume your flight was in First, so you were allowed to visit the First Class lounge, right?

If we're flying in Business, and the Senator lounge is closed (non Schengen), is it possible as a U.S. citizen transiting to get a pass to visit one of the open Schengen Senator lounges?
You are not permitted to enter Schengen but you want to find a way to do so to sit in a lounge?
Old Aug 2, 20, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Plat and Amex Plat benefits.

Yes I was F I dont think the Customs official knew I was flying F before letting me in so not sure if he accidentally let us through or if its ok for me to go when we went back to our non schengen flight the entrance official just asked why we had to leave and I told him we went to the lounge he looked puzzled and let us back in.
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:03 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
It seems, like most everything else, to really be a situation of YMMV. There are reports of people being allowed into France after a brief stay in the UK.
I know several people who have entered France from the UK. Varies from an American living in the UK (with no BRP) entering, an American staying for a few days then going and another landing and taking Eurostar that very day. Also know Americans who flew to Croatia and entered Schengen via Italy or Slovenia.

Originally Posted by Amil View Post
I can report that Istanbul works fine for US Citizens. I just took a flight with LH stop in FRA from LAX and got in yesterday with no issue. Also when I got to Frankfurt I wanted to go to FCL so I went to A which is the domestic side and no issues getting a stamp and I keep wondering if I was able to just exit the airport if I wanted to at that point.
if they stamped you into the EU seems you could have stayed.

I'll probably be heading down in a month or two once the insurance requirements are clearer. Wide open award space with Delta Skymiles 77k Aeromexico in J from Mexico City to Sao Paolo. Super tempting.

I'm going!
the issue is also if you go to Brazil and hotels, restaurants, bars and beaches are closed. Then what’s the point?
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You are not permitted to enter Schengen but you want to find a way to do so to sit in a lounge?
There was a post either upthread here or somewhere else where someone said they were allowed to do exactly that at FRA I believe. I'm struggling to find where that was though.
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I'm going!
The latest round of schedule changes has a DL nonstop flight to GRU. I haven't looked for (D1) award availability, nor do I plan to go to Brazil.

BTW, I'm not sure the beaches in Brazil are ever closed. You just walk onto the sand; there are no barriers. The little F&B stands could be forced to close and the places that rent lounge chairs and umbrellas too, but anyone can enter the Rio beaches freely.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM

When I transited FRA in early July (LAX-FRA-DBV), the Senator Lounge B (non-Schengen) was open. Believe it stays open until 3PM each day.
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
There was a post either upthread here or somewhere else where someone said they were allowed to do exactly that at FRA I believe. I'm struggling to find where that was though.
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
When I transited FRA in early July (LAX-FRA-DBV), the Senator Lounge B (non-Schengen) was open. Believe it stays open until 3PM each day.
No need to look for a post with this info. This is from the horse’s mouth, https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounges

You may have to clear transfer security on the way to/from the B Senator Lounge depending on your arrival/departure gates.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 2, 20 at 3:17 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
You may may have to clear transfer security on the way to/from the B Senator Lounge depending on your arrival/departure gates.
Sorry, I don't have a good sense of this. Which country is the Senator Lounge B (Non-Schengen) in?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: