Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Which countries are open for US tourists?

Old May 28, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Find out which countries are welcoming US tourists back (CNN) - Last updated April 22, 2021.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

IATA COVID-19 Regulations Map (clickable countries): https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Partial List of countries that will admit vaccinated tourists here (last updated Feb 22):

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/count...re-vaccinated/

Africa:
Morocco, Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya
- all now seem to be open but with a 72/96hr covid cert requirement
Seychelles - previously opened to vaccinated travelers in January, now open to all travelers; Visitors are required to present a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to departure, and visitors will still be required to adhere to other public health measures such as mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing. more info
Egypt - Must present negative COVID test taken within 96 hours prior to arrival - PAPER test results required, no digital copies accepted, 14-day quarantine only required if you test positive during stay. Restaurants at 50% capacity and masks required indoors and in public transportation. more info

Middle East
Jordan - negative test taken within 72 hours; complete passenger declaration form & locator form; second PCR test on arrival in Amman with the payment of JD 28 (children under the age of five are exempt); health insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment for the entire period of visit. more info here here and here

Caribbean:
Almost-daily updated summary of all Caribbean island requirements: GoogleDocs
Aruba - negative test within 72 hours mandatory for 24 states, while the other states can also take a test beforehand or be tested upon arrival. All visitors will be required to purchase Aruba insurance when filling out their arrival ED card. Any personal insurance will act as a supplement. more info
Bahamas - negative rt-pcr test with-in five days of arrival more info
Bermuda - negative test within five days of arrival along with a mandatory $75 online entry travel authorization form. Re-tested upon arrival, as well as on Day 3, 7 & 14. Temperature must be taken twice daily and reported online. more info
Jamaica - negative test within 3 days of the date of travels and travel authorization
Turks & Caicos - negative test within five days, as well as health insurance required more info

Europe:
Belarus - negative COVID-19 test result. The PCR test must be done no later than three days before the border crossing date (this period includes the date of border crossing); 21 October: required to self-isolate for 10 days upon the arrival in Belarus. more info
Croatia - Entry for tourism is permitted only with documentary evidence of an accommodation paid in advance and in full, prior to arrival at the border. Tourists must have a negative PCR test result not older than 48 hours from the time of the swab to crossing the border; or vaccination certificate; or positive test confirming recovery from infection; or testing immediately upon arrival in the Croatia (at their own expense), with the obligation to stay in self-isolation until the arrival of a negative test result. more info
Greece - As of April 19, residents of the United States are now allowed to enter Greece. All travelers entering Greece are required to present a negative molecular test result (PCR test) for COVID-19, performed up to 72 hours before their entry to Greece.Fully vaccinated individuals who are residents of the U.S. may enter Greece without a PCR test if they present a vaccination certificate. The vaccination certificate must be in English, issued by a public authority, and demonstrate that vaccination was completed at least 14 days before arrival to Greece. However, PCR tests may still be required for transit points. more info
Iceland - The Minister of Justice of Iceland has decided that the previously announced decision to exempt from travel restrictions those who can provide proof of vaccination or prior infection will take effect on 6 April. The change in regulation will allow travellers from non-Schengen countries, who meet the criteria, to travel to Iceland for non-essential reasons. Otherwise mandatory 5-6 day quarantine between 2 tests more info
Ireland - 14-day quarantine (self-isolation) on arrival
Malta - ok after 14-day quarantine in safe country (e.g. EU)
Moldova - entry allowed without quarantine etc if you hold vaccination certificate proof
Montenegro - negative PCR test no older than 72 hours US Embassy in Montenegro
Serbia - foreigners seeking to enter Serbia, U.S. citizens included, will need to provide a negative PCR test, not older than 48 hours more info
Slovenia - vaccinated adults or negative test within 48 hours can skip 10-days quarantine (children who accompany adults can also skip quarantine)
Turkey - negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to their flight
United Kingdom - negative test within 72 hours prior to departure plus 10-day self-isolation upon arrival from non-exempt countries (may be shortened after 5 days through Test to Release in England)

Asia:
Armenia - Travelers entering Armenia are asked to present the results of a PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival or submit to a PCR test at the airport. Individuals who choose to take a PCR test and receive a negative result may be exempted from self-quarantine requirements.
Dubai - bring 96 hour PCR test and free to enter https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ling-to-dubai/
Georgia - unconditionally admitted to Georgia if they present a COVID-19 vaccine certificate confirming receipt of two full doses of the vaccine. Unvaccinated: Present a negative PCR test result taken within the past 72 hours; get a follow-up PCR test at their own expense on the third day after arrival in Georgia; complete an application form with contact details and travel history. more info
Kyrgyzstan - United States citizen travelers may now enter the country via international airports in Bishkek, Osh, and Issyk Kul. Requires travelers to have negative PCR test results, with the test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival into Kyrgyzstan. more info
Maldives - required to present a negative PCR certificate upon arrival. Traveler Health Declaration (THD) must be filled in and submitted within 24 hours prior to their travel. more info
Pakistan - get the online e-visa, also check if you need pcr test here: http://covid.gov.pk/intl_travellers/current_policies. For exiting pakistan, pcr test is required by almost all airlines done through specific labs (check airline website).
Thailand - Visa free entry good for 45 days. Also other visas. Need COE (Certificate of Entry) from Embassy, PCR test, insurance, 14-night quarantine at hotel/hospital. Details: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/
Uzbekistan - permitted to enter Uzbekistan but usually need a visa; negative PCR COVID-19 test is required for entry within 72 hours of the initiation of travel to Uzbekistan; arriving passengers must complete a health screening form upon arrival; arriving passengers are also subject to a rapid antigen test at the airport upon arrival regardless of PCR test status more info

North America:
Mexico
- Cancun area - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...rus/index.html
- Puerto Vallarta - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32454183-post317.html
- Land borders open - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32421620-post171.html

Central America:
Costa Rica: does not request coronavirus screening tests nor does it issue sanitary confinement orders as requirements to enter the country by air. Health Pass can only be completed 48 hours before boarding. Tourists must purchase mandatory travel insurance that covers quarantine accommodation and medical expenses due to COVID-19 disease. more info
Panama: open to US resident with negative test within past 48 hours.

South America:
Brazil - the entry of foreign visitors traveling by air for a short stay of up to 90 days is currently permitted but beginning December 30, all travelers to Brazil by air (Brazilians and foreigners) must present 1) a negative/non reactive COVID-19 test as well as 2) proof of a completed Declaration of Travelers Health (DSV) to the airline responsible for the flight, before boarding. Level 4 DO NOT TRAVEL warning in effect
Chile - all travelers, including Chileans, foreign residents, accredited diplomats, and foreign tourists, must complete an obligatory 10-day quarantine upon their arrival to Chile. They will be able to leave quarantine with a negative PCR result based on a test taken on or after the seventh day in quarantine. Travelers must remain in quarantine while they await their result. more info
Colombia - travelers arriving to Colombia must present negative results from a COVID-19 PCR test administered no more than 96 hours prior to departure; travelers are expected to quarantine for 10 days or 7 days with a negative test 3-5 days after arrival. more info
Ecuador - all travelers (including minors) arriving in Ecuador must provide proof of a negative COVID RT-PCR or rapid antigen test taken no more than three (3) days before entering the country or present a vaccination card showing the traveler received a complete series of the COVID vaccine more info
Peru - inbound international passengers must have either a negative real-time COVID-19 molecular (RT-PCR), negative antigen test result, or a medical certificate of epidemiological discharge that is no more than 72 hours old after being issued and before boarding the plane. As of March 15, 2021, the Government of Peru announced that travelers who take an antigen test and receive a negative result after their first day of arrival may suspend the 14-day quarantine requirement. Travelers may take an antigen test at the airport, a local hospital, or any laboratory authorized by the Ministry of Health. ​Travelers who test positive must complete the 14-day quarantine.more info

Official government and airline pages for US travelers (in alphabetical order):
Print Wikipost

Which countries are open for US tourists?

Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by CzeSEN
Good news for the US travelers (per Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-15-with-rules)

"International flights will be allowed to Athens and Thessaloniki in a bridge phase from June 15 to June 30 from countries on a list compiled by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency, including the U.K. and the U.S., the countrys Foreign Ministry said in a statement Saturday. From July 1, the measure is expanded to all Greek airports.

The Greek government clarified on Saturday that it will also allow tourists from the other countries to enter the country in the bridge phase with different rules depending on the airport of origin as shown in the EASA list.

If travel originates from an airport not in the EASA affected area list then visitors are only subject to random tests upon arrival, the Foreign Ministry said. If the journey originates from an airport on the EASA affected area list, the visitors will be tested upon arrival; if negative, the passenger self-quarantines for seven days and if positive, the passenger is quarantined under supervision for 14 days. From July 1 all testing is random while additional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date."

And here is the EASA list: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...issue%2014.pdf
Well, there went my plans to go to Greece.....
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Supposed to go to Greece in Aug., hopefully the quarantine for 7 days with negative test requirement is done by then.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by aj411
It will be interesting to see how that "travel originates" section is interpreted. My state isnt listed but I'd have to connect through one of the states to get to Greece.

AJ
I'm wondering this too. Granted my trip to Greece isn't until October, so everything will hopefully have changed by then. I start in a state not listed but have to connect in a state that is listed. You have to figure it's true origination, which makes sense as that's where you have likely spent most of your time. I doubt a test would even show positive if you had JUST been exposed on a connecting flight (so ~ 10 hours max since exposure). Are there any airports that fly direct to Greece that WOULDN'T be in the list there? Looks like it covers all the major international hubs.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
You must be dreaming if you believe this to be accurate. You'll be denied boarding at LHR at the earliest or denied entry at the EU border the latest and then returned at the expense of the airline.

People must really think the authorities are stupid or something.
U.S. Citizens allowed in UK but they must provide address where they will quarantine for 14 days and likely download the UK government's track and trace app. Do you have personal knowledge of an American citizen arriving LHR and being denied entry?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by CzeSEN
Good news for the US travelers (per Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-15-with-rules)

"International flights will be allowed to Athens and Thessaloniki in a bridge phase from June 15 to June 30 from countries on a list compiled by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency, including the U.K. and the U.S., the country’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement Saturday. From July 1, the measure is expanded to all Greek airports.

The Greek government clarified on Saturday that it will also allow tourists from the other countries to enter the country in the bridge phase with different rules depending on the airport of origin as shown in the EASA list.

If travel originates from an airport not in the EASA affected area list then visitors are only subject to random tests upon arrival, the Foreign Ministry said. If the journey originates from an airport on the EASA affected area list, the visitors will be tested upon arrival; if negative, the passenger self-quarantines for seven days and if positive, the passenger is quarantined under supervision for 14 days. From July 1 all testing is random while additional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date."

And here is the EASA list: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...issue%2014.pdf
I would not take that for granted yet (I mean travel from the US to Greece from June 15). Greece cannot decide alone to allow non-Schengen visitors. The decision is coordinated at EU level. June 15 is the current date until when Schengen borders are closed and a decision will be taken to lift or extend the restrictions. If lifted, it could be for some countries only, and this decision will be also taken at EU level. And EU will want some reciprocity (if Americans are allowed in EU, Europeans will have to be allowed in the US). Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely hope it will happen, but I just want to “warn” you that nothing is certain yet.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
USA-Mexico land border

In late May 2020 I crossed the USA-Mexico border twice. I traveled Yuma-Los Algodones to see a dentist and San Ysidro-Tijuana to have body work done on my car. In both directions for both crossings no official asked the reason for my visit. Crossing from Tijuana to San Ysidro took 2 hrs 20 minutes on a weekday afternoon. Crossing from Los Algodones to Yuma took ten minutes on a weekday afternoon; however this was on foot, not in a car. I would guess the car crossing in Los Algodones was a half hour line.

No restaurants in either Mexican city permitted dining inside. There is some sort of alcohol restrictions that has raised the price by quite a bit; beer has risen fourfold.

I am a citizen and resident of the USA.
Amil, ExpatExp and Owenc like this.

Last edited by atLAS, aLAS; Jun 1, 2020 at 5:37 pm Reason: Add residence/citizenship status
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:54 am
Suspended

CDC travel ban and US quarantine must first be revoked before any travel can be considered. I know from a lot of businesses that if they find out you have traveled and NOT gone into quarantine, they will fire you on the spot.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
CDC travel ban and US quarantine must first be revoked before any travel can be considered. I know from a lot of businesses that if they find out you have traveled and NOT gone into quarantine, they will fire you on the spot.
please provide references for those statements as to the best of my knowledge:

CDC does not issue bans only travel advisories
there is no US quarantine aside from possibly China (highlighting the hopelessly outdated nature of those docs)
whole that "fire on the spot" even if exists may be related to violation of specific company policies

IMO the approach should be based on common sense and given current numbers you are far more likely to catch smth at your local home depot than in EU countries but that's just my view...
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by azepine00
please provide references for those statements as to the best of my knowledge:

CDC does not issue bans only travel advisories
there is no US quarantine aside from possibly China (highlighting the hopelessly outdated nature of those docs)
whole that "fire on the spot" even if exists may be related to violation of specific company policies

IMO the approach should be based on common sense and given current numbers you are far more likely to catch smth at your local home depot than in EU countries but that's just my view...
Most if not all companies use "CDC advisories" as gospel, simply because it provides legal cover.
I even pointed out to my HR department that if you test negative you could come out of quarantine early. HR simply stated that "safety must come first" and you "have to go through the entire quarantine period". When I pointed out that it makes no sense, they simply said: "who are you to argue with state and national guidelines??".

So yeah, if you are retiree or self-employed you can do whatever you want. Not the rest of us.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The CDC is just an agency with no enforceable powers, and I am pretty certain quarantine is a matter for individual states.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no "US" quarantine. There are quarantines in some particular parts of the US (most obviously Hawaii), but they're all locally implemented (at the state or even county or city level). And businesses can implement quarantine rules for the people who work for them, but that's the individual business doing it in that case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I would not take that for granted yet (I mean travel from the US to Greece from June 15). Greece cannot decide alone to allow non-Schengen visitors. The decision is coordinated at EU level. June 15 is the current date until when Schengen borders are closed and a decision will be taken to lift or extend the restrictions. If lifted, it could be for some countries only, and this decision will be also taken at EU level. And EU will want some reciprocity (if Americans are allowed in EU, Europeans will have to be allowed in the US). Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely hope it will happen, but I just want to “warn” you that nothing is certain yet.
Well, the measures most EU-members states took at the beginning were not coordinated. The EU treaties and coordination measures, not only regarding immigration, de facto ended at the beginning of the pandemic.

I won't be surprised if Greece decides alone to save their vital summer season by allowing EU and some non EU members citizens to come there, despite EU injunctions.
This can lead to EU reopening entirely with the pressure of countries like Greece, or sign the end of free movement as we knew it before de pandemic, with each country implementing their own rule (like it is the case since march de facto).

I'm mostly optimistic and I think we will travel freely within Europe after 15th of June, then, quickly between north america and Europe by July if there is still no evidence of a second wave by then.

There are big politics playing in Europe touristic countries like Greece and their populations won't accept to be ruined by EU sacred unity in borders reopening despite having managed to contain the virus better than Europe wealthier nations.

What is worrying me the most, is that Italy is now open to most EU tourists as we speak, but the flights offer is very very weak. It seems that there is no demand for travel even when the restrictions are lifted, and this is leading to very few flights available, and extremely expensive tickets (like 400€+ CDG/MXP this week, which is crazy).

Travel restrictions will be lifted I think way before peoples will be wanting to travel again.

By the way, Mexico is still open for everyone including European with the same conditions of entry as usual, and most hotels are open. But there is no surge in demand for tourism there, and it is understandable : fear of infection, fear of quarantaine, fear of flights canceled, and of closure/ghost resorts town. It will take many years before reaching 2019 levels unfortunately. Travelers need confidence they will not be getting before 2021.

Last edited by IstKong; Jun 2, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Anne Gavin
U.S. Citizens allowed in UK but they must provide address where they will quarantine for 14 days and likely download the UK government's track and trace app. Do you have personal knowledge of an American citizen arriving LHR and being denied entry?
Why arent we allowed into the US then?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IstKong
It seems that there is no demand for travel even when the restrictions are lifted, and this is leading to very few flights available, and extremely expensive tickets (like 400€+ CDG/MXP this week, which is crazy).

Travel restrictions will be lifted I think way before peoples will be wanting to travel again.
It's because of the Circle of Fear:

1) Countries are fearful of importing COVID-19.
2) As a result, countries implement testing.
3) Tourists fear that a potential false positive test will leading to quarantine.
4) As a result, tourists don't wanna visit.
5) But countries do not want to allow tourists in unchecked because.... (Jump to 1).

Originally Posted by Owenc
Why aren’t we allowed into the US then?
You want to push this thread into OMNI territory?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jun 2, 2020 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Owenc
Why arent we allowed into the US then?
Why would those two things be mutually exclusive?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.