Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Which countries are open for US tourists in June 2020 and beyond?

Which countries are open for US tourists in June 2020 and beyond?

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 20, 8:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Dieuwer
Wiki Link
Where US citizens are allowed to travel to this summer (CNN) - Last updated August 25, 2020
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...-19/index.html

Africa:
Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya - all now seem to be open but with a 72/96hr covid cert requirement

Caribbean:
Almost-daily updated summary of all Caribbean island requirements: GoogleDocs, BlogLink
Aruba - negative test within 72 hours mandatory for 24 states, while the other states can also take a test beforehand or be tested upon arrival. All visitors will be required to purchase Aruba insurance when filling out their arrival ED card. Any personal insurance will act as a supplement. more info
Bahamas - 14 day mandatory quarantine and test required more info
Bermuda - negative test within five days of arrival along with a mandatory $75 online entry travel authorization form. Re-tested upon arrival, as well as on Day 3, 7 & 14. Temperature must be taken twice daily and reported online. more info
Jamaica - negative test within ten days of arrival from high risk areas (currently Florida, Texas, Arizona & New York. Locations will be re-accessed daily.); all other visitors may be tested on arrival more info
St. Lucia - negative test within 48 hours of flight to St. Lucia, temperature check on arrival more info [commercial flights may not be operating at the moment]
Turks & Caicos - negative test within five days, as well as health insurance required more info

Europe:
Belarus - https://by.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ "There are currently no travel restrictions in place as a result of the worldwide outbreak."
Croatia - negative PCR with swap taken no more than 48 hours prior to arrival more info
Montenegro - negative PCR test no older than 72 hours US Embassy in Montenegro
Serbia - all COVID-19 related entry restrictions are lifted for both Serbian and foreign citizens per check on 5/29 https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...es/Serbia.html
Turkey - no entry restrictions
United Kingdom - 14-day quarantine upon arrival at location of your choice, can depart the UK at any time during the 14-day quarantine

Asia:
Dubai - bring 96hour pcr test and free to enter https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ling-to-dubai/
Maldives (starting July 15th) - basically no restrictions - https://twitter.com/MoTmv/status/1275404148377300997
Pakistan - as long as you can get the online e-visa, there's no entry restrictions or test requirements per-se. For exit, pcr test is required by all airlines done through specific labs.

North America:
Mexico (cancun area) - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...rus/index.html
Mexico (puertovallarta) - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32454183-post317.html
Mexico (land borders open) - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32421620-post171.html

Central America:
Costa Rica: open as of September 1st to US residents from New York, New Jersey, Maine, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Open as of September 15th to US residents from Colorado, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. - https://cr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

South America:
Brazil - basically no restrictions besides having health insurance that covers covid https://www.traveloffpath.com/brazil...s-for-tourism/

Official government and airline pages for US travelers (in alphabetical order):
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 12, 20, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
OP said EU, not UK.
No, they said "Any Americans just fly to Europe and get admitted?"
Old Sep 12, 20, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
No, they said "Any Americans just fly to Europe and get admitted?"
Did you read the actual post or just the title?

Originally Posted by ryan754 View Post
I went through the trouble of getting certain documents to access the EU. Nonetheless I flew into a certain airport and was stamped right in without needing anything. Interesting if any other Americans experienced this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 5:35 pm

Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554 View Post
But the question still stands: what European country just lets Americans in?
The only member states that allow US citizens to enter directly from the US are Croatia and Ireland - the former requires a test, the latter requires a quarantine. OP's case will be one of two options: Either they arrived from a green-listed country to a member state that applies entry restrictions based on previous travel patterns rather than residency, or they simply encountered a lazy immigration agent. Just like in pre-COVID times, not all entry requirements are always checked as it would be too time consuming (e.g. most countries require proof of funds to support yourself, yet I never been asked for this during my life).

Even though OP got an easy treatment, no one should assume the same will be the case if they try it too. Direct travel from the US is only possible to HR and IE. Few other member states admit US citizens if they spent certain time in a green-listed country, or if they arrive from a destination within the Union.
ebayj and Statman like this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 9:58 pm

Take Ukraine off the list for the time being. Borders have been closed to foreigners again and won't re-open until the end of September at the the earliest.

And if you're thinking of heading to the UK, note there are ominous rumblings in the local press about the possibility of a second lockdown. In the first lockdown hotels were suddenly closed, irresponsibly leaving tourists in a perilous position.
Old Sep 13, 20, 3:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Did you read the actual post or just the title?
Yes. People can fly to the EU via the UK. So, the OP may have got clearance for an EU country, but flew via LHR. They wouldn't be asked any questions at LHR.
Old Sep 13, 20, 3:17 am

Programs: Starwood Banned, Marriott Plat, UA 1K MM,
not UK. Schengen country that’s not admitting Americans. I just don’t want to publish it as I think it was a fluke. I did have documents that would allow me in. Never had to produce them nonetheless.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Which airport?

If it was in the UK, then that's normal.
ExpatExp and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 13, 20, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Mrs. SFO777 and I are now in Croatia, having flown LAX-FRA-DBV on Lufthansa. Absolutely no issues at DBV immigration. The only thing that the officer asked for was our negative PCR test results. We had taken the test the day before departure and arrived 43 hours after swab up the nose. Got the impression that the 48 hours was not a hard 48 hours, just as long as the test was 2 calendar days before. YMMV though obviously.

As for Germany, we did try to visit the First Class Lounge in the A (Schengen) concourse (the only FCL open these days) but, not surprisingly, were denied entry to Germany despite an agent on the LH First Class Hotline assuring me that we would have "no problem". LOL.

Dubrovnik is spectacular and well worth the PIA tests and hassles to get here, especially now when there are no cruise ships and very few tourists. Great for us, not so much for the locals.

enviroian, ebayj, Statman and 6 others like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 14, 20 at 1:34 am
Old Sep 13, 20, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Dubrovnik is spectacular and well worth the PIA tests and hassles to get here, especially now when there are no cruise ships and very few tourists. Great for us, not so much for the locals.
Thank you for the update! Looks like a great place to visit.

So LH’s only open F lounge is in the Schengen terminal which doesn’t actually see any flights with an F cabin... that makes a ton of sense.
seigex likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 14, 20 at 6:13 am Reason: Removed excessive amount of quote
Old Sep 13, 20, 11:17 pm

So LH’s only open F lounge is in the Schengen terminal which doesn’t actually see any flights with an F cabin... that makes a ton of sense.
It's mainly there for the HON. And obv it is usable for F pax with an EU passport, too.

F traffic is down 90+ percent. And most HON fly intra-EU. There is clearly little rationale to open a non-Schengen F lounge.
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 6:03 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
And if you're thinking of heading to the UK, note there are ominous rumblings in the local press about the possibility of a second lockdown. In the first lockdown hotels were suddenly closed, irresponsibly leaving tourists in a perilous position.

Heathrow, at least, maintains a Covid-designated hotel for which it appears the government has extended the contract - the Holiday Inn Ariel was due to reopen to the public in the next few days but that has been put back, which I can only assume is due to the rising case rate and a re-assessment by the government of the potential need to use it.

There is a very different approach being taken this time with restrictions on group numbers rather than, at this stage, another national shutdown. With better data it's possible to impose local lockdowns, but even these have not included the hospitality trade yet. Hospital admissions are sharply down likely because of the age demographic of new cases, so there's much less pressure on the NHS. The economy is only just out of intensive care and people are still being encouraged to return to work - none of that has been rolled back.

I would think it's highly unlikely any tourist would be left in a perilous position - if it actually gets to that point they would most likely have absolutely no wish to be anywhere near the UK anyway!

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 14, 20 at 6:51 am
Old Sep 14, 20, 7:08 am

Mrs. SFO777 and I are now in Croatia, having flown LAX-FRA-DBV on Lufthansa. Absolutely no issues at DBV immigration. The only thing that the officer asked for was our negative PCR test results. We had taken the test the day before departure and arrived 43 hours after swab up the nose. Got the impression that the 48 hours was not a hard 48 hours, just as long as the test was 2 calendar days before. YMMV though obviously.

As for Germany, we did try to visit the First Class Lounge in the A (Schengen) concourse (the only FCL open these days) but, not surprisingly, were denied entry to Germany despite an agent on the LH First Class Hotline assuring me that we would have "no problem". LOL.

At least they are firewalled from the rest by not being part of Schengen....hope you enjoy your stay. I think the Mrs and I have given up on a trip away this year.
Old Sep 14, 20, 7:43 am

Finland, according to Forbes :
Finland is set to be the next EU nation to open its borders to all travelers, including higher-risk Covid countries such as the U.S.

The country is poised to bring in mandatory testing rules in October which means even those from lands with much higher infection rates will be welcome.

Finland will raise the Covid infection threshold by October, to allow visits worldwide.

The plan hinges on the introduction of new laws to cater for a “testing-based entry model” reports Helsinki Times.

For travelers from countries where Covid infection rates are above 25/100,000, a negative test result will be required on arrival.

According to Reuters, travelers must then remain in self-isolation until they produce a second negative test.

LETTERBOY, cmd320 and seigex like this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

...snip...

This is great, I'll be there in 2 weeks! I just need to find a PCR test in Turkey. AirBNB's are super reasonable in both Dubravnik and Split.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
How's Dubrovnik with meassures? Are there many restrictions?
Old Sep 14, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Plat and Amex Plat benefits.
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
This is great, I'll be there in 2 weeks! I just need to find a PCR test in Turkey. AirBNB's are super reasonable in both Dubravnik and Split.
they offer a PCR test at the airport in Istanbul
seigex likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: