Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Which countries are open for US tourists?

Old May 28, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Find out which countries are welcoming US tourists back (CNN) - Last updated April 22, 2021.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

IATA COVID-19 Regulations Map (clickable countries): https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Partial List of countries that will admit vaccinated tourists here (last updated Feb 22):

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/count...re-vaccinated/

Africa:
Morocco, Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya
- all now seem to be open but with a 72/96hr covid cert requirement
Seychelles - previously opened to vaccinated travelers in January, now open to all travelers; Visitors are required to present a negative PCR test taken 72 hours prior to departure, and visitors will still be required to adhere to other public health measures such as mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing. more info
Egypt - Must present negative COVID test taken within 96 hours prior to arrival - PAPER test results required, no digital copies accepted, 14-day quarantine only required if you test positive during stay. Restaurants at 50% capacity and masks required indoors and in public transportation. more info

Middle East
Jordan - negative test taken within 72 hours; complete passenger declaration form & locator form; second PCR test on arrival in Amman with the payment of JD 28 (children under the age of five are exempt); health insurance that covers COVID-19 treatment for the entire period of visit. more info here here and here

Caribbean:
Almost-daily updated summary of all Caribbean island requirements: GoogleDocs
Aruba - negative test within 72 hours mandatory for 24 states, while the other states can also take a test beforehand or be tested upon arrival. All visitors will be required to purchase Aruba insurance when filling out their arrival ED card. Any personal insurance will act as a supplement. more info
Bahamas - negative rt-pcr test with-in five days of arrival more info
Bermuda - negative test within five days of arrival along with a mandatory $75 online entry travel authorization form. Re-tested upon arrival, as well as on Day 3, 7 & 14. Temperature must be taken twice daily and reported online. more info
Jamaica - negative test within 3 days of the date of travels and travel authorization
Turks & Caicos - negative test within five days, as well as health insurance required more info

Europe:
Belarus - negative COVID-19 test result. The PCR test must be done no later than three days before the border crossing date (this period includes the date of border crossing); 21 October: required to self-isolate for 10 days upon the arrival in Belarus. more info
Croatia - Entry for tourism is permitted only with documentary evidence of an accommodation paid in advance and in full, prior to arrival at the border. Tourists must have a negative PCR test result not older than 48 hours from the time of the swab to crossing the border; or vaccination certificate; or positive test confirming recovery from infection; or testing immediately upon arrival in the Croatia (at their own expense), with the obligation to stay in self-isolation until the arrival of a negative test result. more info
Greece - As of April 19, residents of the United States are now allowed to enter Greece. All travelers entering Greece are required to present a negative molecular test result (PCR test) for COVID-19, performed up to 72 hours before their entry to Greece.Fully vaccinated individuals who are residents of the U.S. may enter Greece without a PCR test if they present a vaccination certificate. The vaccination certificate must be in English, issued by a public authority, and demonstrate that vaccination was completed at least 14 days before arrival to Greece. However, PCR tests may still be required for transit points. more info
Iceland - The Minister of Justice of Iceland has decided that the previously announced decision to exempt from travel restrictions those who can provide proof of vaccination or prior infection will take effect on 6 April. The change in regulation will allow travellers from non-Schengen countries, who meet the criteria, to travel to Iceland for non-essential reasons. Otherwise mandatory 5-6 day quarantine between 2 tests more info
Ireland - 14-day quarantine (self-isolation) on arrival
Malta - ok after 14-day quarantine in safe country (e.g. EU)
Moldova - entry allowed without quarantine etc if you hold vaccination certificate proof
Montenegro - negative PCR test no older than 72 hours US Embassy in Montenegro
Serbia - foreigners seeking to enter Serbia, U.S. citizens included, will need to provide a negative PCR test, not older than 48 hours more info
Slovenia - vaccinated adults or negative test within 48 hours can skip 10-days quarantine (children who accompany adults can also skip quarantine)
Turkey - negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to their flight
United Kingdom - negative test within 72 hours prior to departure plus 10-day self-isolation upon arrival from non-exempt countries (may be shortened after 5 days through Test to Release in England)

Asia:
Armenia - Travelers entering Armenia are asked to present the results of a PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival or submit to a PCR test at the airport. Individuals who choose to take a PCR test and receive a negative result may be exempted from self-quarantine requirements.
Dubai - bring 96 hour PCR test and free to enter https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ling-to-dubai/
Georgia - unconditionally admitted to Georgia if they present a COVID-19 vaccine certificate confirming receipt of two full doses of the vaccine. Unvaccinated: Present a negative PCR test result taken within the past 72 hours; get a follow-up PCR test at their own expense on the third day after arrival in Georgia; complete an application form with contact details and travel history. more info
Kyrgyzstan - United States citizen travelers may now enter the country via international airports in Bishkek, Osh, and Issyk Kul. Requires travelers to have negative PCR test results, with the test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival into Kyrgyzstan. more info
Maldives - required to present a negative PCR certificate upon arrival. Traveler Health Declaration (THD) must be filled in and submitted within 24 hours prior to their travel. more info
Pakistan - get the online e-visa, also check if you need pcr test here: http://covid.gov.pk/intl_travellers/current_policies. For exiting pakistan, pcr test is required by almost all airlines done through specific labs (check airline website).
Thailand - Visa free entry good for 45 days. Also other visas. Need COE (Certificate of Entry) from Embassy, PCR test, insurance, 14-night quarantine at hotel/hospital. Details: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/
Uzbekistan - permitted to enter Uzbekistan but usually need a visa; negative PCR COVID-19 test is required for entry within 72 hours of the initiation of travel to Uzbekistan; arriving passengers must complete a health screening form upon arrival; arriving passengers are also subject to a rapid antigen test at the airport upon arrival regardless of PCR test status more info

North America:
Mexico
- Cancun area - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...rus/index.html
- Puerto Vallarta - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32454183-post317.html
- Land borders open - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32421620-post171.html

Central America:
Costa Rica: does not request coronavirus screening tests nor does it issue sanitary confinement orders as requirements to enter the country by air. Health Pass can only be completed 48 hours before boarding. Tourists must purchase mandatory travel insurance that covers quarantine accommodation and medical expenses due to COVID-19 disease. more info
Panama: open to US resident with negative test within past 48 hours.

South America:
Brazil - the entry of foreign visitors traveling by air for a short stay of up to 90 days is currently permitted but beginning December 30, all travelers to Brazil by air (Brazilians and foreigners) must present 1) a negative/non reactive COVID-19 test as well as 2) proof of a completed Declaration of Travelers Health (DSV) to the airline responsible for the flight, before boarding. Level 4 DO NOT TRAVEL warning in effect
Chile - all travelers, including Chileans, foreign residents, accredited diplomats, and foreign tourists, must complete an obligatory 10-day quarantine upon their arrival to Chile. They will be able to leave quarantine with a negative PCR result based on a test taken on or after the seventh day in quarantine. Travelers must remain in quarantine while they await their result. more info
Colombia - travelers arriving to Colombia must present negative results from a COVID-19 PCR test administered no more than 96 hours prior to departure; travelers are expected to quarantine for 10 days or 7 days with a negative test 3-5 days after arrival. more info
Ecuador - all travelers (including minors) arriving in Ecuador must provide proof of a negative COVID RT-PCR or rapid antigen test taken no more than three (3) days before entering the country or present a vaccination card showing the traveler received a complete series of the COVID vaccine more info
Peru - inbound international passengers must have either a negative real-time COVID-19 molecular (RT-PCR), negative antigen test result, or a medical certificate of epidemiological discharge that is no more than 72 hours old after being issued and before boarding the plane. As of March 15, 2021, the Government of Peru announced that travelers who take an antigen test and receive a negative result after their first day of arrival may suspend the 14-day quarantine requirement. Travelers may take an antigen test at the airport, a local hospital, or any laboratory authorized by the Ministry of Health. ​Travelers who test positive must complete the 14-day quarantine.more info

Official government and airline pages for US travelers (in alphabetical order):
Print Wikipost

Which countries are open for US tourists?

Old Jun 21, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
They are but I think with these conditions not many will risk paying hundreds of dollars for an airplane ticket, maybe even hotels, just to end up for 14 days in an institutional facility provided by the government which you are responsible for paying.

It's not as strict as other countries like Sri Lanka but at this point I would not want to take a chance and loose the airline ticket plus an entire 14 days in a government facility for quarantine.
IMHO, the requirements are reasonable given the health and financial risks to both the traveler and the Emirate. True, some countries have suggested they'll bear the costs of a traveler's COVID quarantine, but who knows how durable those commitments will prove to be. Also, COVID-19 travel health insurance is hard (but not entirely impossible) to obtain; if a traveler truly cannot obtain it, it's best to stay it.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
IMHO, the requirements are reasonable given the health and financial risks to both the traveler and the Emirate. True, some countries have suggested they'll bear the costs of a traveler's COVID quarantine, but who knows how durable those commitments will prove to be. Also, COVID-19 travel health insurance is hard (but not entirely impossible) to obtain; if a traveler truly cannot obtain it, it's best to stay it.
Could anybody link to a travel insurance plan that covers an American citizen if they were to contract COVID-19 while overseas? I would like to see what plans and options exist.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:04 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Could anybody link to a travel insurance plan that covers an American citizen if they were to contract COVID-19 while overseas? I would like to see what plans and options exist.

I just posted here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...-coverage.html
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Ukraine has reopened its borders to US citizens. The US embassy website mentions a list of high risk countries whose citizens must self-quarantine for 14 days but I couldnt find it anywhere (given the current situation, I would assume the US is on the list, or parts of it anyway).

https://ua.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Jun 21, 2020, 10:51 pm

Apparently Americans are on the must self-quarantine list at the moment, but not if they've spent the past 14 days in a "green" country.

THE big problem is that all foreigners, whether coming from green or red countries, must present an insurance certificate in acceptable form covering all COVID expenses for 14 days after arrival. So far as I can gather, there is no such insurance available, there is no such certificate available. Only resolution would be if some state insuror starts offering the insurance at borders/airports. I've come across no sign of that yet.

(Of course it's also conceivable the insurance requirement in practice is being winked at, as some previous Ukraine insurance requirements were often winked at. Not that anyone in their right mind would fly to Kiev just to find out.)
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 889
Apparently Americans are on the must self-quarantine list at the moment, but not if they've spent the past 14 days in a "green" country.

THE big problem is that all foreigners, whether coming from green or red countries, must present an insurance certificate in acceptable form covering all COVID expenses for 14 days after arrival. So far as I can gather, there is no such insurance available, there is no such certificate available. Only resolution would be if some state insuror starts offering the insurance at borders/airports. I've come across no sign of that yet.

(Of course it's also conceivable the insurance requirement in practice is being winked at, as some previous Ukraine insurance requirements were often winked at. Not that anyone in their right mind would fly to Kiev just to find out.)
My regular health insurance covers me at its regular rates outside the US. I have my insurance card and enrollment confirmation paperwork, as well as policy coverage booklet We received a communication confirming COVID-19 is covered as any other condition (plus I think whatever the no-copay provisions from the CARES Act were for testing or whatever it was). I know that US health insurance policies frequently don't provide such coverage, though I am aware through friends of a few others that do - sometimes at lower rates.

Glad to at least see some different approaches being explored by some countries, though.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Would be nice if the EU decided who is allowed in on July 1 since it's rapidly approaching...
Old Jun 22, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by 84fiero
My regular health insurance covers me at its regular rates outside the US. I have my insurance card and enrollment confirmation paperwork, as well as policy coverage booklet We received a communication confirming COVID-19 is covered as any other condition (plus I think whatever the no-copay provisions from the CARES Act were for testing or whatever it was). I know that US health insurance policies frequently don't provide such coverage, though I am aware through friends of a few others that do - sometimes at lower rates.

Glad to at least see some different approaches being explored by some countries, though.
Does it cover you for getting covid abroad, with a "do not travel" cdc/state dept warning? Have you specifically checked that?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nk15
Does it cover you for getting covid abroad, with a "do not travel" cdc/state dept warning? Have you specifically checked that?
Exactly this. There are policies you can buy that will, but standard policies almost always have the the requirement that you didnt travel against the advice of the government.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
That isn't correct. The nationwide daily deaths, on a 7-day rolling average, have been declining fairly steadily from a peak of over 2,200 in mid-late April to 687 currently.
The total US deaths passed 100,000 around May 27, just a few days before the start of June.

Now, on June 22 midday, we're above 122,000. That sounds rather close to 1000 a day (well over 800 a day) over the past three weeks. And I seem to recall seeing 120,000 passed on the 19th or 20th, which implies it's up there in the short term too.

I'll believe a serious decline if we're much less than 130,000 by June 30, but so far in mid-June, the date of the month has very closely tracked the second and third digits of the total US death count, which implies it's still somewhere near 1000 relatively steadily.

Of course, how accurate this data is (on the low side) is unclear. There are rumors about some states or localities holding back death data for a while, and then suddenly dumping a whole bunch of death data at once. If that's going on, that's making it hard to measure it accurately on a 7-day basis, only on a longer basis.

Meanwhile, as time goes on, the death rate may become a poorer comparison point, because of possible increased used ot treatments which decrease deaths in seriously ill patients. But in that case, the absolute death rate not falling much implies that it might have gone up had it not been for new treatments becoming available.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 22, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Meanwhile, as time goes on, the death rate may become a poorer comparison point, because of possible increased used ot treatments which decrease deaths in seriously ill patients. But in that case, the absolute death rate not falling much implies that it might have gone up had it not been for new treatments becoming available.
I've heard that ICU admissions are a good tracking metric, although I'm not sure where to find that data. It's still a trailing indicator (about 3 weeks from infection to ICU admission v. 4 weeks from infection to deaths) and I think it still suffers from distortions involving the overall health/age of the population where hot spots are, so not sure how much better it actually is.

Another thing to look at within the US is the percentage of positive tests. That's actually rising right now, which is worrying since overall number of tests is also increasing. There are also data issues here, since different localities count differently (i.e. if one person is tested multiple times, do you count that as one person tested, or multiple tests?)
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
Another thing to look at within the US is the percentage of positive tests. That's actually rising right now, which is worrying since overall number of tests is also increasing. There are also data issues here, since different localities count differently (i.e. if one person is tested multiple times, do you count that as one person tested, or multiple tests?)
The other problem with percentage of positive tests is that it would presumably go down if way more people with no symptoms and no suspected recent exposure started getting tested. So, yes, if it goes up it's a bad sign, but if it goes down, it's hard to say what it means.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The other problem with percentage of positive tests is that it would presumably go down if way more people with no symptoms and no suspected recent exposure started getting tested. So, yes, if it goes up it's a bad sign, but if it goes down, it's hard to say what it means.
That's why deaths / hospitalizations and ICU admissions are a better metric. It's too bad they lag true cases by weeks.

Positive testing rate is a good metric, but values in the 5% or less seems to be in the "good" range to catch most of the symptomatic folks?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Would be nice if the EU decided who is allowed in on July 1 since it's rapidly approaching...
I agree. Governments are doing an atrocious job of communicating their position on this, however, I think it's all being held up by Trump - EU wants to open for tourism, but wants reciprocity from the US, but Trump has little incentive to open.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
does anyone know when japan will open for us?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.