Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

vacation rental cancellation due to border closure--fairness of policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum so please move if not, mods.

I am a US citizen who reserved a vacation rental in Whistler, British Columbia, for five nights, June 27-July 2. I paid an $800 deposit with the final payment of $2400 due May 20.

The border closure has now extended to June 21st and everything in the media indicates that Canada wishes to keep the border closed far beyond that. If I could get there I would but it simply looks impossible.

I asked the rental company to simply cancel the rental and refund the deposit to me but they are insisting on keeping the deposit money and telling me that they will allow me to use that as a credit toward a rental through summer 2021.

Would like opinions on whether you find this fair or if I should attempt to challenge them and dispute this with my credit card company, as if I owned the company I would simply refund the money. Thanks for your opinions!
Old May 20, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If it's a non-refundable deposit, then the property legally doesn't have to do a thing as long as they're open for business. It's up to the traveler to make it there.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:09 pm

One week before tell them that you have tested positive for covid, but since they aren't cancelling the reservation with a fully refundable deposit you plan on coming over and can't wait to see them.

They'll cancel it and refund you.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
One week before tell them that you have tested positive for covid, but since they aren't cancelling the reservation with a fully refundable deposit you plan on coming over and can't wait to see them.

Thank you; I laughed out loud at that!
Old May 20, 2020, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Would like opinions on whether you find this fair or if I should attempt to challenge them and dispute this with my credit card company, as if I owned the company I would simply refund the money. Thanks for your opinions!
More than fair.

It really depends what has been written. But since the border closure has not been officially extended to impact your travel, you are not impacted yet.

So a credit is better than forfeiture.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I've decided to accept the credit and hope that we can get in next summer and that this company doesn't fold in the meantime.

I appreciate the opinions.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Vacation rental owners are in a really crappy position right now. As unfortunate as it is, the contract says it’s not refundable. I imagine many of these property owners will try to hang onto these deposits.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: na
It seems to be a great idea

Originally Posted by nomiiiii

This is the main problem with the companies. They always sell things claiming high standards and customer care. But when the time arises to show some real customer care they just escape.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AshleyCrawford
This is the main problem with the companies. They always sell things claiming high standards and customer care. But when the time arises to show some real customer care they just escape.
That really doesn't fit into the business model of travel and hospitality, which operates on very thin margins and is simply not set up to weather months of zero revenue. There is a good reason why hotels (etc) offer non-refundable rates at a discount. They know they've banked the money, regardless of what happens. It is not the property owner's fault there is a travel ban, neither is it the renter's. This is why travel insurance is a good idea, though it may not come into play here.

Overall, I think the OP's outcome is completely fair. If everyone insisted on immediate cash refunds of everything, there would be no airline business, there would be no hospitality industry. Think of it as an (unfairly) levied tax on tourism services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.