Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Crossing USA / Canada Border During COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossing USA / Canada Border During COVID

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:14 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by njain
I understand that flying back from Calgary to US requires at least rapid covid test. Our flight is on Sunday at 10:15am and the covid test center opens at 8am. Wondering if we have good enough time for the test the same day or should we get the test done the day early.

Any recommendations?
i know it's late but:
many shoppers drug marts
$40
results in paper format in 15 minutes

shoppers locations between banff and airport: 16 av and 14 st nw, center st and 13 av north, closest to airport and on the way from banff is center and 53 av north.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by cur; Aug 31, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:47 am

Has anyone had an issue with getting their results via phone and not email? I read that Walgreens and CVS may send your results by phone, and I know that will not work for crossing the land boarder. It makes me nervous to depend on the results, and then to not get them in writing.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by tracon
Pot calling the kettle black?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada...-Canada#344334
The U.S. State Department is now urging Americans to "reconsider travel" to Canada due to what the Centers for Disease Control call "high" levels of COVID-19 infection.

The new Level 3 travel advisory, issued today, marks a quick end to a three-week period when the warning to would-be travellers to Canada had been eased to "exercise increased caution."
I agree that this is an excellent time to reconsider travel to Canada. With things relatively in-hand versus much of the US, if you've been delaying a trip Up North, now is a great time to go!

Oh, wait, that's not what they meant, is it? ;-)
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I agree that this is an excellent time to reconsider travel to Canada. With things relatively in-hand versus much of the US, if you've been delaying a trip Up North, now is a great time to go!

Oh, wait, that's not what they meant, is it? ;-)
I think they must be referring to the three hour processing times at Pearson T1. Reconsider travel before you subject yourself to that fiasco.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by economyplusfan; Sep 3, 2021 at 7:18 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: AP 35K
Originally Posted by gabbygrrl
Has anyone had an issue with getting their results via phone and not email? I read that Walgreens and CVS may send your results by phone, and I know that will not work for crossing the land boarder. It makes me nervous to depend on the results, and then to not get them in writing.
CVS gave me my results via email, with the exception of a minor for which we called CVS and they emailed us a link to download their results.
SamirD and gabbygrrl like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I think they must be referring to the three hour processing times at Pearson T1. Reconsider travel before you subject yourself to that fiasco.
Fair.

The mess of air travel these days is why I drove across last month.

Best moment of the border questioning:
"When is the last time you entered Canada?"
"March, 2020."
"...you entered after the border was closed?"
"No, I entered at the start of the month. You didn't close the border until about two weeks in." [There was a distinct hint of annoyance in my voice on this one...]
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:00 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I did not realize the test has to be 72 hours before sked departure. I thought it was 3 days, like the USA. Will I get into a world of hurt for arriving in Canada 82 hours after a neg test? I am a Canadian citizen arriving thru air, YYC.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by cur
I did not realize the test has to be 72 hours before sked departure. I thought it was 3 days, like the USA. Will I get into a world of hurt for arriving in Canada 82 hours after a neg test? I am a Canadian citizen arriving thru air, YYC.
If your test is not within 72 hours of departure you likely won't be allowed to board
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
For those of you who have crossed the land border from Canada into the US can you confirm that no test is required? I am a US citizen living in Canada and I will be crossing over to fly out of Buffalo for a work trip next week. With all of the new rules posted yesterday it’s impossible to find clear documentation online about what the current rules are. It seems to indicate that crossing from Canada into the US for an allowed reason does not require a Covid test. But it’s not clear. Can someone confirm?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Utskicat
For those of you who have crossed the land border from Canada into the US can you confirm that no test is required? I am a US citizen living in Canada and I will be crossing over to fly out of Buffalo for a work trip next week. With all of the new rules posted yesterday it’s impossible to find clear documentation online about what the current rules are. It seems to indicate that crossing from Canada into the US for an allowed reason does not require a Covid test. But it’s not clear. Can someone confirm?

I crossed back from Ontario to Thousand Islands, NY in Mid September and wasn’t asked anything except if I had a nice trip. So, no, no tests are required.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:37 am
Kwi

Programs: BAEC - Blue AND Chief Taster for Walkers Crisps
Hello Everyone,
Was not sure where to post this so thought here might be best.

I travel to Toronto from Europe, land at YYZ and clear customs etc and enter Canada (I am fully vaxxed and will have PCR etc)
What I can't work out if I then leave the next day to go to the USA.
Is this allowed. I am technically not transferring as I will get a eTA to enter.

I then do more or less the same on the way back.

Cheers
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kwi
Hello Everyone,
Was not sure where to post this so thought here might be best.

I travel to Toronto from Europe, land at YYZ and clear customs etc and enter Canada (I am fully vaxxed and will have PCR etc)
What I can't work out if I then leave the next day to go to the USA.
Is this allowed. I am technically not transferring as I will get a eTA to enter.

I then do more or less the same on the way back.

Cheers
Not sure what your question is. Canada has been open to international air travelers for a couple of months. I see no issue with this at all. Beware though, YYZ international arrivals can take 1-3 hours some days. I landed from CDG last week and there was no line at all. But the agent meeting the flight that walked up the jetbridge with me said the day before they were holding passengers on the plane for 1 hour and then queue in immigration was another 2.5 hours....
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:57 pm
Kwi

Programs: BAEC - Blue AND Chief Taster for Walkers Crisps
Thank you..
My Issue was on the Canada website it says:

Transit to another country by air

You may be permitted to transit through Canada to reach another country.

Prepare for your arrival

You must:
  • make your travel arrangements well in advance if you are transiting through Canada
    • plan your travel so you arrive and depart from the same Canadian airport within 24 hours. Domestic transfers are not permitted
    • make sure your baggage is checked through to a destination outside of Canada
    • connections must occur on the same day at all Canadian airports except Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
    • Overnight connections are not possible at:
      • Montréal-Trudeau (YUL)
      • Calgary International (YYC)
      • Vancouver International (YVR)

So technically I am not transiting its more a layover with separate flights booked the next day. Will boarder security see it as that as well, or will they think I am transiting with a layover?

Edit: I think it is only unvaccinated people...

If you are only transferring in Canada

A transfer or stopover in Canada for transit to another country is also permitted if you have not been vaccinated against the coronavirus. Make sure you also comply with all coronavirus rules in the country of your final destination. An eTA Canada is also required for a transfer or stopover. While transferring in Canada, the traveller must remain in the international travel terminal at the airport. The maximum duration of the transfer is 24 hours. The baggage must be checked in to the final destination before leaving for Canada. While transferring in Canada, overnight stays are only allowed in the hotel inside the international terminal at Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ).

Last edited by Kwi; Oct 18, 2021 at 3:20 pm Reason: add more infomation
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kwi
...I then leave the next day to go to the USA.
Is this allowed. ...
It depends on the DATE of your planned entry into the US, and the finalized entry requirements.
If the rules after Nov.08 work as expected, then you'll only need a visa/ESTA, vax certificate, and a neg covid test.
Kwi likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Is this correct? Right now, you don't need a vaccination certificate or a negative test to cross the US/Canada border by land, and starting November 8th, you will need a vaccination certificate but still no test?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.