Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It seems like many individuals have given up a bunch on social distancing in Sweden and are trying to revert back to behavior from say this time in 2019. But it’s also now peak summer vacation period for Swedes, so there may be a bunch of individuals still sort of sticking to measures against this pandemic spread even as many others have given up on adhering to the recommendations. And the Swedish government seems to have been so freaked out by public discontent from summer travel restrictions that they tossed out the restriction not to travel more than 2 hours (by road) from home. And so there is a Swedish summer vacation in full force, although the bad weather now will act as a restraint of sort at some places but do the opposite at others.

There are some international visitors to Sweden, and I’m hearing a lot more English of sorts being spoken this week (than last week) that suggest just that intra-EU travel to Sweden is up a bit from the week or two before. But I haven’t confirmed that with border control contacts. I do know hotel bookings at some spots are up over the week before due to increased EU visitor numbers.

Originally Posted by stimpy
As a data point, I flew JFK-AMS-LYS this week and there were immigration controls upon arrival at LYS. Both flights were fairly busy with lots of families with children traveling.

No declaration of reason for travel anymore in France, and no mention of self-quarantining. But on the flight from New York they announced that for passengers ending their travel at AMS there is a requirement for a 14 day quarantine from high risk countries. They did not specifically say the United States, but ....
Did AMS passport control scan your passport; and then did AMS passport control stamp your passport? I would have assumed that LYS passport check didn’t result in a passport stamp at LYS for people coming off AMS-LYS.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 4, 2020 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did AMS passport control scan your passport; and then did AMS passport control stamp your passport? I would have assumed that LYS passport check didn’t result in a passport stamp at LYS for people coming off AMS-LYS.
AMS did stamp. I didn't notice if they scanned. I don't think LYS did anything.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:05 am

United States allowed in Switzerland?

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
FOUND IT!

The full list, in alphabetical order, is: Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Iraq, Israel, Kosovo, Kuwait, Moldova, North Macedonia, Oman, Panama, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Serbia, South Africa, the Turks and Caicos Islands and the United States.
Does that list mean U.S. citizens are allowed in Switzerland, with quarantine?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by JohnAx
This is what I see.

"Switzerland publishes list of ‘high risk’ travel quarantine countries
The United States, Russia, Saudi Arabia and Brazil are among 29 countries listed as posing a high risk of coronavirus infection by the Swiss authorities. From July 6, travellers entering Switzerland from these countries must go into quarantine for ten days.
July 2, 2020 - 19:44”

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/switzer...tries/45877556

It appears to include non-essential travel.
JohnAx likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:11 pm

CH is fully applying the Schengen external rules so I wouldn't read anything into the quarantine list from that point of view.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
CH is fully applying the Schengen external rules so I wouldn't read anything into the quarantine list from that point of view.
Airlines using TIMATIC seem to produce a most common outcome of US citizen not allowed entry for vacation to Switzerland currently unless within the remaining Schengen ban exemption categories that have been around for months.

Money can talk very loudly when it comes to Switzerland. Have you checked around for indications that wealthy people from say SW Asia are/are not getting cleared back into Switzerland directly? Say checking for non-commercial, non-cargo flights from say the Gulf Arab countries? Since this is the kind of crowd that does a seasonal visit for more than two weeks, a two week “quarantine” at an arranged home may be fine with Switzerland. Or maybe a bunch are claiming medical care in Switzerland.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 4, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnAx
No. It only means that those who are allowed to enter Switzerland (e.g. Swiss citizens) and arrive from the US need to quarantine.
​​​​​
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by exp
Sweden may not have international visitors for a long time.
They are quite likely to have me. If not this summer, then in October, unless rules become more strict than they are.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by exp
There are (tens of?) thousands crossing into Sweden every day just from Finland.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:52 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
For work or tourism?

Going to Stockholm or the provinces?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exp
Are people still trying to get infected over there or have they abandoned that idea and people are actively trying to protect themselves?

If the mask usage is an indicator, apparently not.

I had actually considered a trip to Sweden this summer, when I was planning last year.

I would go as soon as in September but I have other plans. Possibly in December.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
There are (tens of?) thousands crossing into Sweden every day just from Finland.
Is it really anywhere close to tens of thousands daily at this point just from Finland? I would suspect it’s either in below the 5 figure range daily or at least well under 20k daily when it comes to touching on Swedish land.

I know there is increased foreign visitor traffic to Sweden this week, but it’s well below prior summer periods.

FWIW, Swedish passport control staffing seems to have been reduced in some of the spots where Swedish Customs checks have been increased, and the joke is that its because the people visiting Sweden now may be a different kind of bunch than the usual.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Am I allowed to transit through Europe (i.e. FRA or AMS) to get to a country I'm allowed in (MSQ in Belarus) as a U.S. citizen?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Am I allowed to transit through Europe (i.e. FRA or AMS) to get to a country I'm allowed in (MSQ in Belarus) as a U.S. citizen?
Yes, assuming you are amongst the “transit passengers who wish to travel via the Netherlands to another third country (non-EU) and who do not leave the international transit zone of the airport”. Those quoted words refer to an exemption category during the Schengen travel ban period.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, assuming you are amongst the “transit passengers who wish to travel via the Netherlands to another third country (non-EU) and who do not leave the international transit zone of the airport”. Those quoted words refer to an exemption category during the Schengen travel ban period.
Thanks! Is there a link to this exemption, as from my search, it seems that only if I am headed to my home country, I'm allowed to transit the EU, and as Belarus is not my home country, I shouldn't qualify for the exemption.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.