Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Seyan
Germany has published a document that the borders will be open for eleven states but for three they want reciprocity (marked with *):

1. AUSTRALIA
2. GEORGIA
3. JAPAN *
4. CANADA
5. MONTENEGRO
6. NEW ZEALAND
7. SOUTH KOREA *
8. THAILAND
9. TUNISIA
10. URUGUAY
11. CHINA *

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/p...hraenkung.html

I don't believe Japan, South Korea and China will play the game.

Hope this will at least put some pressure on those 3 countries.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:46 am
Suspended

Germany has published a document that the borders will be open for eleven states but for three they want reciprocity (marked with *):

1. AUSTRALIA
2. GEORGIA
3. JAPAN *
4. CANADA
5. MONTENEGRO
6. NEW ZEALAND
7. SOUTH KOREA *
8. THAILAND
9. TUNISIA
10. URUGUAY
11. CHINA *

Why not require reciprocity from Australia or Canada?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:11 am

1. AUSTRALIA
2. GEORGIA
3. JAPAN *
4. CANADA
5. MONTENEGRO
6. NEW ZEALAND
7. SOUTH KOREA *
8. THAILAND
9. TUNISIA
10. URUGUAY
11. CHINA *

BTW, isn't Uruguay still closed to flights? IATA's map based on Timatic data shows that Uruguay is still closed to flights.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:55 am

The Swiss government will impose a ten-day quarantine on arrivals from 'high-risk' countries from Monday, July 6th.

The quarantine requirement will be imposed due to increases in new infections.

"Since mid-June, the new coronavirus has experienced an upsurge in Switzerland after infected people entered the country from Schengen and non-Schengen states" beyond Europe's open borders zone, said the government.

"Consequently, from July 6, anyone crossing the border from certain regions must quarantine themselves for 10 days," the Federal Council said.

The list of countries will be published on Thursday.
Switzerland is only open to the EU/EEA/UK+these new 15, so all the quarantine countries would be from that group. Has anyone seen any leaked lists?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:06 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
What is the source of that statement on Switzerland?

Apparently they've had imported cases from the Balkan countries, such as Serbia. So they've allowed some entries from these countries for awhile now, even before this new Schengen list of third countries were published.

Of course the EU/Schengen list includes Montenegro and Serbia now.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:42 pm

I'm a EU citizen based in the US. Will I be able to fly to France directly at the end of July?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exp
What is the source of that statement on Switzerland?

Apparently they've had imported cases from the Balkan countries, such as Serbia. So they've allowed some entries from these countries for awhile now, even before this new Schengen list of third countries were published.

Of course the EU/Schengen list includes Montenegro and Serbia now.
This is a confusing policy. I can only find online that Switzerland allowed in EU/EEA/UK from June 15th onwards. Today they said from July 20th they would expand that to add in the new 15 non-EU/EEA/UK countries approved by the EU but from July 6th will quarantine arrivals from 'high risk countries' (the minister named Sweden and Serbia as likely candidates). However the Serbia thing makes no sense, as Switzerland has not been letting Serbian arrivals in anyway so how can they be singled out for a quarantine?

I hope Switzerland goes for a more relaxed quarantine approach like Germany (50 infections per 100,000 in 7 days) than the stricter ones like Montenegro (20 infections per 100,000 in 14 days). Would be a shame if after relaxing their restrictions, they end up effectively banning entry again from many countries.

It does however seem the Balkans are the main source of infection coming into Switzerland from what their government/media are saying.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Switzerland is only open to the EU/EEA/UK+these new 15, so all the quarantine countries would be from that group. Has anyone seen any leaked lists?
Sweden and Serbia seem to be the two mentioned in the media.

Hopefully does not include the UK, as we are now being allowed into places like Czechia due to the infection rate falling.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
However the Serbia thing makes no sense, as Switzerland has not been letting Serbian arrivals in anyway so how can they be singled out for a quarantine?
Even without allowing Serbian arrivals, Swiss citizens or residents returning from Serbia could be travelling and so the quarantine would apply to them. I know quite a few people now travelling within Europe to see friends and family, after 3 months travel restrictions.

Also, while the thread is all about tourist travel, business travel is slowly ramping up in Europe now. The company I work for changed their policy last week to allow business travel, on a voluntary basis within Europe. I don't know anyone who has booked a trip though, and most are still working from home (again voluntarily).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by leahcim
I'm a EU citizen based in the US. Will I be able to fly to France directly at the end of July?
I believe you are already allowed to do so.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I believe you are already allowed to do so.
Only to their home EU country. Not necessarily France as the OP could be classified as a US Resident.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Sweden and Serbia seem to be the two mentioned in the media.

Hopefully does not include the UK, as we are now being allowed into places like Czechia due to the infection rate falling.
Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by stimpy
Only to their home EU country. Not necessarily France as the OP could be classified as a US Resident.
It looks like all EU passports are allowed into France, with no originating restrictions, but has some certificate requirements to obtain before travel if not originating from EU…

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:15 am

The British PM's father flew to Greece (Via Bulgaria??) and was tested for COVID-19.

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ain-villa.html

'All they wanted to know where I was coming from and what I was doing. Then I had my temperature taken and was swabbed twice.'
Owenc likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Is he French yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.