Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 30, 20, 12:00 pm
  #1201  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM E50, FlyingBlue Silver
Posts: 1,182
Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
Canada just extended a blanket ban to 31st July instead of considering individual countries or reciprocity. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tra...zVcs4hT8054zac
That is quite disappointing and in this case the EU should probably put Canada back on the 'banned' list if there is no reciprocity but I still have hope that there might be some changes in the next few days considering to allow individual countries from Europe to enter.
exbayern, the810, esledo and 2 others like this.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:13 pm
  #1202  
exp
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by yvrcnx View Post
That is quite disappointing and in this case the EU should probably put Canada back on the 'banned' list if there is no reciprocity but I still have hope that there might be some changes in the next few days considering to allow individual countries from Europe to enter.
Doesn't sound like there's any kind of unanimity about reciprocity being a driving criterium for banning or allowing countries.

Reportedly it was mainly France which pushed for reciprocity. Vote was relatively close so we will see if they continue to insist upon reciprocity as the list is updated.
yvrcnx, Owenc and ProleOnParole like this.
exp is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:27 pm
  #1203  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by yvrcnx View Post
That is quite disappointing and in this case the EU should probably put Canada back on the 'banned' list if there is no reciprocity but I still have hope that there might be some changes in the next few days considering to allow individual countries from Europe to enter.
You're Canadian. Why do you care whether Europeans can come here or not? I'm glad we have the option to travel there. Wishing we get put on the banned list just for that reason is very selfish.
mcbg1 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 12:49 pm
  #1204  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM E50, FlyingBlue Silver
Posts: 1,182
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
You're Canadian. Why do you care whether Europeans can come here or not? I'm glad we have the option to travel there. Wishing we get put on the banned list just for that reason is very selfish.
I am Canadian but I also have family all over Europe and while I love Canada, I find it an unfair practice to not reciprocate but I should also qualify that I don't mean 'banning Canada' as a punishment but rather a logical result taken by the European Union if Canada in the next 2 weeks decides not to let Europeans into the country or at least give a time line.

What I find disappointing is that it is such a blanket rule and there isn't even an effort made (maybe there is but we obviously don't see what is going on in parliament) to try to see if 'select' EU countries might be able to enter Canada.
Believe me I would be more than happy to fly to Europe in July and wouldn't mind to self quarantine for 2 weeks upon return but I find it honestly more selfish to be allowed as a Canadian citizen to enter the EU but telling my family and friends in Europe that they are not able to enter Canada unless they self quarantine.

I also wonder if there will even be flights from/to Europe we can book without having to go via YYZ or YUL as the only nonstop from YVR currently is the AC operated daily to LHR. Lufthansa was going to start service from Frankfurt to YVR using an A330 from July 5th but I wonder if that will be postponed as I can't imagine they can fill the aircraft with just Canadians flying to Europe and even then would have to fly an almost empty plane to YVR.
Owenc and ProleOnParole like this.

Last edited by yvrcnx; Jun 30, 20 at 1:07 pm
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:17 pm
  #1205  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by yvrcnx View Post
I am Canadian but I also have family all over Europe and while I love Canada, I find it an unfair practice to not reciprocate but I should also qualify that I don't mean 'banning Canada' as a punishment but rather a logical result taken by the European Union if Canada in the next 2 weeks decides not to let Europeans into the country or at least give a time line.

What I find disappointing is that it is such a blanket rule and there isn't even an effort made (maybe there is but we obviously don't see what is going on in parliament) to try to see if 'select' EU countries might be able to enter Canada.
Believe me I would be more than happy to fly to Europe in July and wouldn't mind to self quarantine for 2 weeks upon return but I find it honestly more selfish to be allowed as a Canadian citizen to enter the EU but telling my family and friends in Europe that they are not able to enter Canada unless they self quarantine.

I also wonder if there will even be flights from/to Europe we can book without having to go via YYZ or YUL as the only nonstop from YVR currently is the AC operated daily to LHR. Lufthansa was going to start service from Frankfurt to YVR using an A330 from July 5th but I wonder if that will be postponed as I can't imagine they can fill the aircraft with just Canadians flying to Europe and even then would have to fly an almost empty plane to YVR.
Let's take what we can get at this point.
mcbg1 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:28 pm
  #1206  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM E50, FlyingBlue Silver
Posts: 1,182
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
Let's take what we can get at this point.
Yes, for sure and there is nothing wrong with what we have right now as it is a big step forward compared to what we had the last 3 months.
In the end it is up to the EU and if they are happy and can live with no reciprocity, at least for the time beaing, than we are happy too.
exbayern likes this.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:35 pm
  #1207  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Calgary, Canada
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,082
Would be nice and logical if Canada instead put in a system like some other countries are doing - if you want to avoid the quarantine, take a test on arrival and maybe pay for it yourself. It's much easier for the current money wasting government to just extend a blanket ban, though.
YYCCL3 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:40 pm
  #1208  
TPJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Posts: 6,675
Originally Posted by exp View Post
Apparently it was mainly France pushing reciprocity.
Honestly I think reciprocity is a fair requirement (from my selfish point of view - I am an EU national).
yvrcnx, esledo, Owenc and 2 others like this.
TPJ is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:20 pm
  #1209  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Between VIE and BTS
Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
Posts: 897
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Honestly I think reciprocity is a fair requirement (from my selfish point of view - I am an EU national).
I would point out that reciprocity was always the EU's policy, long before COVID. To allow visa-free access to Schengen, it was required that the country in question offers visa-free travel to EU citizens. There were some controversies when this reciprocity didn't include few small states (e.g. Romania) and EC put their hand in the sand, but the rule was generally adhered to.

​​​​​Now we're allowing visa-free entry to nationals of countries that outright ban EU citizens. Doesn't make much sense.
IstKong likes this.
the810 is online now  
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:26 pm
  #1210  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 34,601
https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/us_wo...c552d96a6.html

Am I allowed to visit Switzerland for next year? What is the specific rules?
N830MH is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:29 pm
  #1211  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Posts: 7,308
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/us_wo...c552d96a6.html

Am I allowed to visit Switzerland for next year? What is the specific rules?
Depends if your country has the Covid-19 situation / infection rate under control at that time.
N830MH likes this.
Sjoerd is online now  
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:41 pm
  #1212  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,883
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
Honestly I think reciprocity is a fair requirement (from my selfish point of view - I am an EU national).
Originally Posted by the810 View Post
I would point out that reciprocity was always the EU's policy, long before COVID. To allow visa-free access to Schengen, it was required that the country in question offers visa-free travel to EU citizens. There were some controversies when this reciprocity didn't include few small states (e.g. Romania) and EC put their hand in the sand, but the rule was generally adhered to.

​​​​​Now we're allowing visa-free entry to nationals of countries that outright ban EU citizens. Doesn't make much sense.
These 14 countries have managed COVID-19 reasonably well which is the reason EU decided to open to them. Same may not be true about many EU member countries so why would these 14 countries need to provide reciprocity?

If US decided to open travel from EU, would EU member countries do the same for travel from US considering several states reporting significant increase in new cases over past few days/weeks?
mileageking is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:56 pm
  #1213  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 34,601
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Depends if your country has the Covid-19 situation / infection rate under control at that time.
Got it. We'll see what happens.
N830MH is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:04 pm
  #1214  
exp
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/us_wo...c552d96a6.html

Am I allowed to visit Switzerland for next year? What is the specific rules?
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Depends if your country has the Covid-19 situation / infection rate under control at that time.

For all we know, Europe may have a big second wave.

May not want to book anything before October. Or maybe wait until after the US elections even.

We will know more about vaccines and therapeutics by then and the political situation may make some kind of reciprocal deal more likely.
exp is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:20 pm
  #1215  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Paris
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
These 14 countries have managed COVID-19 reasonably well which is the reason EU decided to open to them. Same may not be true about many EU member countries so why would these 14 countries need to provide reciprocity?

If US decided to open travel from EU, would EU member countries do the same for travel from US considering several states reporting significant increase in new cases over past few days/weeks?
Why applying a different rule regarding reciprocity than before ?

I mean, we opened our borders for short term social-visit to citizens of countries that are unlikely to send us massive amount of illegal immigrant, as long as they did the same for us.

Why does this cannot apply for infections rate ? We should have taken the risk to accept imported case from those countries only if they were doing the same for us.

France was totally right asking for reciprocity. It's a shame to open unilaterally to those countries and it tells a lot of what Europe has become.

We are just having the exact same policy as third world touristic countries that opened their borders to tourists from developed nations without a visa/VOA, where citizens of those third world countries needed a huge amount of paperwork to travel to developed countries. (Like Thailand, Vietnam, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, Cambodia...).

We should have applied the exact same rule sanitary wise in our relation with other countries.


But what the EU said is just a recommendation. You will see a lot of countries not applying this policy if reciprocity is not guaranteed. For instance, Spain already said that moroccans will not be able to travel to Spain as long as there is no reciprocity. Let's hope other EU countries will follow the move and that it will put some pressure on the countries on the EU list to allow us.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/202...-with-morocco/
the810 and ProleOnParole like this.

Last edited by IstKong; Jun 30, 20 at 3:25 pm
IstKong is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: