Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by adenzin7
nope, Croatia does not require tests or quarantine as of last week and everyone is welcome as long as they have a confirmed reservation. This is from the foreign ministry in Zagreb. I just hope easyjet will still fly by then.
Source? IATA still shows Croatia as no entry to foreigners.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Exactly. Iceland will not be allowed to reopen to the US or other non-EU/EEA/EFTA states on 15 June unless Schengen as a whole does, and good luck with that tbh.

I fear many Americans or others who saw that news and started booking trips to Iceland for July or August will be quite disappointed.
Exactly how does the EU "not allow" an independent sovereign nation to reopen?

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is not up to the EU to prescribe to member nations how to handle the response to virus infections.
How is it not prescribing when the Commission publicly declares there will be a "summer tourist season?"
Old May 14, 2020, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Badenoch

How is it not prescribing when the Commission publicly declares there will be a "summer tourist season?"
Which way do you want it? The EU can't force anybody to 'open'. I know you know that from the Brexit thread. Your second sentence is just silly. The EU can't declare that there will be a summer tourist season. It's feel-good talk, nothing more. I know you know that too, but you like poking the bear with your stick.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
By getting enough of the EU countries to support a ban of sort at the Schengen area’s external borders.

By being an expression of sentiment of the most relevant EU member states. The EC can’t on its own whim stop cross-border traffic that goes directly between EU member states when the EU member states are fine with the internal border crossing.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:03 am

Can we perhaps stay on topic? This thread is about reopening internal EU borders for European citizens.

This is not about opening up Europe for tourists from 3d countries.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Epicura
Can we perhaps stay on topic? This thread is about reopening internal EU borders for European citizens.

This is not about opening up Europe for tourists from 3d countries.
Iceland is opening to ALL countries. Relevant to this thread.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
This dog and pony show in Iceland sounds quite interesting. I don't see any reason why it can't go ahead, as long as they put masks on the dog and the pony.

When is it and how do I buy tickets for it? The cheap seats will do, because with social distancing I probably wouldn't be allowed very close to the action anyway.

The only thing I'm wondering is why they would be bring a dead horse into it? Is the horse going to be served to patrons for dinner, disguised as beef?
mcbg1 likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Which way do you want it? The EU can't force anybody to 'open'. I know you know that from the Brexit thread. Your second sentence is just silly. The EU can't declare that there will be a summer tourist season. It's feel-good talk, nothing more. I know you know that too, but you like poking the bear with your stick.
Except at least one EU Commissioner has declared there will be a summer tourist season and the rest of the Commission doesn't appear to be challenging the statement.

If it's "feel-good talk, nothing more" it is then fair to put the statement by the EU Commision in the same category as Trump saying the churches would be open at Easter.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:03 am

The problem is the EU and world is splitting into 3 bubbles:
​​​​​​
(1) Countries that will do whatever possible to stop COVID re-entering their country. These countries (e.g. Greece, Czech Republic, Denmark, China, NZ, Australia, Vietnam, Singapore and more) took strong measures early on, taking significant economic impact to save lives. They are now able to reopen their economies to 90%, with international travel and tourism the long term casualty.
(2) Countries that intend on letting the virus spread throughout the population. These countries (e.g. Sweden, Netherlands, US) intend to live with the virus, and use on/off social distancing to manage the infection through the population.
(3) Countries not yet declared or decided.

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The entire world economy is in shambles. What needs to happen is that we open up and get on with it. 80k people died of the flu in the U.S. in 2017, did the entire world close? If we don't open soon, there will be no economy left to return to. People over 65, those with pre-existing conditions and those who work with or live with those people should continue to shelter in place. Healthy people under 65 need to get back to work and restart the world. Let's go already.
It is interesting to see the price that countries put on peoples lives. How much can I pay you to lose a parent, friend or partner? I'm not sure if you've seen television images of hospitals in Wuhan, Italy, Spain, France, London and New York? Treating COVID-19 like the seasonal flu will bring much worse images, as well as a significantly reduced economy.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mcbg1
Iceland is opening to ALL countries. Relevant to this thread.
No it's not because Iceland is not a EU member state. The communication from yesterday was a EU Commission statement regarding the reopening of internal EU borders and how any kind of tourism for EU citizens could start up (supporting recovery of EU tourism).

All the relevant docs:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...us-pandemic_en
Old May 14, 2020, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Epicura
No it's not because Iceland is not a EU member state. The communication from yesterday was a EU Commission statement regarding the reopening of internal EU borders and how any kind of tourism for EU citizens could start up (supporting recovery of EU tourism).

All the relevant docs:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...us-pandemic_en
Doesn't change the fact Iceland is re-opening to ALL tourists. And tourists entering Iceland will then be able to enter other EU countries.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Certain EU countries may well try to get some kind of tourist season going, but I can see it being pretty halfarsed to be honest.

There will be so much theatre, so many hoops to jump through and so many things still closed, that it just won't be worth it for most people.

​​​​Many business owners will also decide that, with all the regulations, it's just not worth opening up.

​​​​​They might try, but unless there is a significant loosening of regulations by many countries and a significant return of public confidence, it's going to be a pretty sorry show.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:52 am

Iceland is in Schengen and part of EU freedom of movement. It won't be able to reopen to non EU as it would be a leak into Schengen. So it'll all depend on the collective Schengen decision.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Iceland is in Schengen and part of EU freedom of movement. It won't be able to reopen to non EU as it would be a leak into Schengen. So it'll all depend on the collective Schengen decision.
...unless Iceland is kicked out of Schengen.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
...unless Iceland is kicked out of Schengen.
Iceland will follow the rules, it has no interest in having to end the Nordic passport Union, which can't continue without all five Nordics as Schengen members.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.