Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
They may not know, but I doubt that the regulations care how you structure your ticket(s). So, you maybe be able get away with it. Not sure if the form you have to fill out will ask where you come from (and how it’s worded). Or if it will ask for your nationality, for example, and use that info in the “random selection” for Group A travelers

For me personally, if I was going to Greece on a week or two week vacation, I would not do anything that could be construed as violating the documented immigration rules to avoid a 24 hr stay in my hotel.
They care about where your flight originated from, so if you have a separate ticket, you originated from the transit destination, especially if you leave or spend a night. Also, nationality has nothing to do with it, strictly which country you came from (again for EU). The only way they would find out is if they asked where you have been in the last 14 days, but I cannot see any official documentation that asks where you have been the last 14 days on any government release, Greek, or UK govt advice to visit Greece.

This likely will be removed by July 1 for most countries anyway.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
They care about where your flight originated from, so if you have a separate ticket, you originated from the transit destination, especially if you leave or spend a night. Also, nationality has nothing to do with it, strictly which country you came from (again for EU). The only way they would find out is if they asked where you have been in the last 14 days, but I cannot see any official documentation that asks where you have been the last 14 days on any government release, Greek, or UK govt advice to visit Greece.

This likely will be removed by July 1 for most countries anyway.
I suspected as such. On previous visits, I would say Greek immigration has been the most chill I have ever had, maybe only Cyprus has been as chill. I expect a brief look at my boarding pass from a German or Swiss airport would be enough.

That I doubt these will restrictions will last more than 2 weeks! I am growing more and more angry/fed up at this stupid UK quarantine but must remain calm in the hope it is gone in 2 weeks as well. Sigh.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:11 pm

Is there any indication if any countries will continue a quarantine requirement for EU citizens arriving from abroad? For example, Poland's statement says "no quarantine for EU and Polish citizens crossing from EU. However, external border remains closed" is very ambiguous. the external border has been "closed" in the sense that only Poles are able to enter and had to undergo quarantine - will Poles arriving from USA have to undergo quarantine still? There's been no news on that. Any other countries?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I suspected as such. On previous visits, I would say Greek immigration has been the most chill I have ever had, maybe only Cyprus has been as chill. I expect a brief look at my boarding pass from a German or Swiss airport would be enough.

That I doubt these will restrictions will last more than 2 weeks! I am growing more and more angry/fed up at this stupid UK quarantine but must remain calm in the hope it is gone in 2 weeks as well. Sigh.
I doubt it too that they will check where have you been in the last two weeks, they will just treat each flight from where it is coming from. I have seen online the health declaration form used for ferries, and it has only symptoms, but I have not seen the airport one. However, if they do ask about previous travel, then you will be randomly selected for the random screening, lol. Btw, come to think of it, they may go by passport. So if you have a UK passport, it will be obvious, and there is a chance they may do "random" checks based on passport country.

Btw, funny story about the health declaration form, guy on video said he was impressed by the safety regulations, but then he says that the whole plane used the same three pens to fill the forms, which defied the distancing purpose, lol...So, bring your open pen...
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I doubt it too that they will check where have you been in the last two weeks, they will just treat each flight from where it is coming from. I have seen online the health declaration form used for ferries, and it has only symptoms, but I have not seen the airport one. However, if they do ask about previous travel, then you will be randomly selected for the random screening, lol. Btw, come to think of it, they may go by passport. So if you have a UK passport, it will be obvious, and there is a chance they may do "random" checks based on passport country.

Btw, funny story about the health declaration form, guy on video said he was impressed by the safety regulations, but then he says that the whole plane used the same three pens to fill the forms, which defied the distancing purpose, lol...So, bring your open pen...
The Greek government made it clear that they are not discriminating based on nationality, just arrival destination. More importantly, are there border controls at schengen now? Because if you arrive at the B gates in ATH, there is no immigration control in the first place!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:13 am

I think sweden is probably one of the main hindrances for some countries to scrap their red/yellow/green / quarantine threshold policies and allow full EU free travel. You can picture some of them looking at Belgium and the UK and being "right, we can handle this," but Sweden makes it harder given it is such an outlier. The Estonia active cases per 100k shows that to an extent: Belgium is like 16, UK is like 25-30, Portugal around there too, and Sweden is 120.

And then blocking Sweden, a full Schengen member, but not the UK, looks awkward. It'll also make the return to freedom of movement very awkward if Swedes start spreading covid throughout southern Spain and France.
renila likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Independence Day is finally here. Europe is almost back to normal for jetsetting! June 15 2020, the day where you can travel like the old days across almost all of Europe (UK not included)
I wish it was true, but with so many lists, exemptions, etc it's still a bit off at the moment. Better than a week ago, for sure.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 3:51 am

So after June 15 will Austria still require a certificate? Will they check passports when arriving on a Schengen flight? Will Austrian Airlines let people board their flights in Frankfurt if they have a US passport?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The rules have not changed for Austria. Here are the current rules taken from TIMATIC, they do not change the 15th June:
Published 05.06.2020
1. Passengers arriving from a non-Schengen Member State are not allowed to enter Austria.
- This does not apply to nationals of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a British passport and their family members.
- This does not apply to residents of Austria.
- This does not apply to passengers with a "D" visa issued by Austria.
2. Passengers are subject to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- This does not apply to passengers departing immediately.
- This does not apply to nationals and residents of Austria, Czechia, Germany, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland.
- This does not apply to passengers with a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) test result issued at most 4 days before arrival.
3. Flights arriving from Belarus, China (People's Rep.), France, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Russian Fed., Spain, Ukraine and United Kingdom are suspended.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The rules have not changed for Austria. Here are the current rules taken from TIMATIC, they do not change the 15th June:
Timatic may not have been updated yet but rules DID change today. No test/quarantine is required for most EU countries - but there are 4 exceptions (I don't remember which ones).
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I wish it was true, but with so many lists, exemptions, etc it's still a bit off at the moment. Better than a week ago, for sure.
I would say it is 80% of what it once was, so a huge step forward! Besides there aren't that many flights yet, so it will be a bit hectic while demand and supply goes up. If things are pretty much back to normal by 1 July, that would be just great!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:00 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by the810
Timatic may not have been updated yet but rules DID change today. No test/quarantine is required for most EU countries - but there are 4 exceptions (I don't remember which ones).
No the rules does not change today.
https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/AUT
They change tomorrow.

May I enter this country without being subject to a mandatory quarantine?

YES, WITH LIMITATION From June 16, anyone who comes from any EU country except United Kingdom, Sweden, Spain and Portugal will be able to do so without a medical certificate and quarantine.
8420PR likes this.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 16, 2020 at 11:18 am Reason: make white text more legible
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:04 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

The EC has launched a new website to see the current rules:
Eager to reunite with friends and family abroad? To plan your summer holidays? We are launching http://reopen.europa.eu a website in all EU languages that provides real-time essential travel information so you start exploring Europe safely again.
It is clear that the 15th June is not what people are dreaming of and are talking about like "Liberation Day". Most countries have some form of restrictions, only a few are green:
GUWonder and 8420PR like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am also lost with Greece, can anyone help me on this?

So on June 15th: Reopens to EU, Israel, OZ/Kiwi however not to UK unless we do a 7 day quarantine
July 1st: Reopens to everyone including UK and no quarantine required

Is this correct? Was planning to go to Geneva next month for a business thing with people from Israel however it seems Switzerland is not allowing them in whereas Greece is, so Athens may be a better shout at this rate.
Originally Posted by Aegean email
Arriving passengers are categorized in accordance with their origin in three distinct groups as follows:

GROUP A: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland.

GROUP B: Albania, Belgium, France, Italy, North Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, other non-EU countries.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP A will be subject to random Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP B, either with a direct flight or through a country included in Group A, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Thessaloniki Airport, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

All international passengers will be provided during check in or on board, with a Passenger Location Form, to be filled and provided to the authorities upon arrival.

Tested passengers have to compulsory self-isolate in the address they will declare for 24 hours, until the testing outcome is available.

Connecting Passengers are subject to COVID-19 testing upon their arrival in Athens or Thessaloniki and will be able to continue their trip to their final destination, where they will self-isolate until the testing outcome is available.

Furthermore, the Greek Goverment has extended flight restrictions from/to UK and Turkey until June 29th, 2020.
I saw that, I think that is for connecting flights on the same itinerary though. If you travel on a seperate booking from a group A country, how would they know?
Greece asks passengers for a declaration form to be completed and presented on arrival at ATH and SKG. False declaration about trip origin/countries visited is almost certainly legally actionable, at least in policy.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 15, 2020 at 5:38 am
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Greece asks passengers for a declaration form to be completed and presented on arrival at ATH and SKG. False declaration about trip origin/countries visited is almost certainly legally actionable, at least in policy.
Yes I know, I just want to know if they write where have you been the past 14 days or not. Because no where does it say you are not allowed to be in another country within the last 14 days, like with some other countries. E.g. if you flew in from Switzerland after spending a few days there, but were in London before, then what? That's the unclear bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.