Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 2:11 pm

The US is a big place. Not everywhere is like New York City and not everyone is out protesting like the news would lead you to believe. There are huge areas of the US that have little to no Covid-19 activity. One doesn't really hear about them on the news. I just checked the latest data for my county. There have been 1600 tests, 19 positives and no deaths. A positive test rate of a little over 1% for those tested. I will say that we are doing a good job with social distancing, wearing masks, etc. Many of us do take this situation very seriously.

PS I have cancelled 3 trips that I was going to take this summer. It was sad, but it was also the right thing to do.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The EU Commission can issue whatever "guidance" it likes. It is the individual member states that will decide when and to whom their borders will open.
I see that, in a bizarre way, you are slow beginning to get it.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I see that, in a bizarre way, you are slow beginning to get it.
What I am getting is contradictory information.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes and yes. In the case of letting people in, Sweden had to comply with the EU-wide ban. Some EU countries even have had national bans against some other countries’ EU citizens from coming into the country, although those are harder to enforce in practical terms when it comes to Schengen countries’ citizens.
Why is it hard for an independent member state of the EU to ban any non-citizen from crossing its borders during a state of emergency?
Old May 13, 2020, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Epicura
External EU borders are closed until June 15 at least. Irrespective of any sort of quarantine measures. My opinion: these will be extended. EU is trying to encourage opening up internal borders in order to guarantee free movement of EU citizens. EU citizens, not third country tourists.

Also note that opening of internal borders do at least require that countries are in similar stages of the pandemic. That says a lot about how EU is envisioning any kind of travel.

Travel within EU for EU citizens: first priority. Everything else: long term.
Iceland will be open to travellers from outside Schengen starting June 15th. Travellers from Schengen will be welcome by May 25th AT THE LATEST.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Why is it hard for an independent member state of the EU to ban any non-citizen from crossing its borders during a state of emergency?
Who said it is? Certainly not I. Denmark had even banned most Swedes due to this virus situation.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:10 pm

So I am a dual US and Polish citizen. I have a flight to Poland for three weeks booked for July 8. I transit via CDG. So I was thinking about realistic possibilities of this trip, regardless of my intentions of going etc., I assume I'd be treated as if I am entering from Schengen into Poland, but what about entrance to France? I understand that now they are requiring quarantine on entrance and not even allowing EUs to enter, although I thought that was until late July. Would I be able to get to Poland right now, with current provisions until June 15?
Old May 13, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

They cannot deny Polish citizens entry, but may require quarantine.
Best option would be to fly USA - WAW nonstop.I personally would NOT risk connecting anywhere in Europe.
GUWonder and Barciur like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Who said it is? Certainly not I. Denmark had even banned most Swedes due to this virus situation.
You mentioned it was "harder to enforce in practical terms when it comes to Schengen countries’ citizens."

In any event, if member states, Schengen or otherwise, can close their borders to any non-residents including those from other Schengen countries it seems the Commission is getting a bit ahead of itself to declare, "we will have a summer tourist season."
Old May 13, 2020, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
They cannot deny Polish citizens entry, but may require quarantine.
Best option would be to fly USA - WAW nonstop.I personally would NOT risk connecting anywhere in Europe.
Makes sense. Of course, if Poland demands quarantine for non-EU arrivals but not for Schengen arrivals, then it's a bit of a wash. But it makes sense to avoid a connection in Europe right now.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be business travel rather than tourism, but I just received an invitation to a small conference to be held in Germany in September (2020). They pay travel expenses.

I'm betting it won't happen or will be online, in which case I'm not interested.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'small', but meetings are being booked again in Germany. Some states are moving forward with business travel and seeing an increase in hotel demand. Niedersachsen has had hotels open in the traditionally busy Hannover market, and the 14 day quarantine was overruled in a court there. I was reading an article re 'fair's in Germany which are a main economic driver, and they are trying to find a way to hold these in a new way ie timed entry, etc. So long as the ban on Americans is lifted by then, there may well be a chance it will go ahead.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
In order for Europe to have a successful summer of international tourism, even involving only intra-European travel, several things need to happen:

1. Borders need to be opened. This looks like happening shortly, but assurances need to be given that they will not be closed again, forcing cancellations.

2. Transport infrastructure needs to be reliable. Airlines need to be flying and need to be able to do so in an economically viable way.

3. Hotels need to be fully functional. This means minimal intrusion into the guest experience.

1.5m between tables? No problem. Attendants doling out food at buffets? No big deal. Table service only for coffee? Bring it on!

Pools closed? No gyms? Restricted access to facilities? Health checks with threats of being turned away? Not going to fly. The place will be empty.

4. Restaurants and bars need to be open, with minimal restrictions. Otherwise, too many people just won't bother.

5. This is the big one. 14-day quarantines have to stop. Virtually nobody is going to self isolate for two weeks, even on their return home, for the sake of a week in the sun. Simply not going to happen.

Some serious decisions are going to have to be made in the very near future. The simple fact is that Europe can either have tough measures or a summer tourist season. Not both. Governments are going to have to decide which one they want.
Stewie Mac and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It is the individual member states that will decide when and to whom their borders will open.
Not true.
If there is a Schengen-wide agreement to keep non-EU/UK/EEA nationals (with some exceptions) out, then this agreement is binding to all Schengen members.
Of course, a Schengen country may apply an even more stricter approach. But it is not allowed to deviate towards a more liberal approach.

With the current state of the Coronavirus in the US, the EU will keep its borders shut.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
With the current state of the Coronavirus in the US, the EU will keep its borders shut.
Statistically, the US is similar to or better than most of Western Europe. Why would the EU ban Americans? Belgium has the worst record of any country in the world. The other EU countries should be banning Belgians if they're looking at numbers.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You mentioned it was "harder to enforce in practical terms when it comes to Schengen countries’ citizens."

And it is in practical terms harder to enforce those bans even against other Schengen countries’ citizens because ordinarily these countries don’t allocate a lot of resources to seal internal national borders. And even at extraordinary times where they allocate more resources to patrol national borders internal to Schengen, there are often practical ways to cross these internal borders without being stopped and identified as being subject to a ban.

In any event, if member states, Schengen or otherwise, can close their borders to any non-residents including those from other Schengen countries it seems the Commission is getting a bit ahead of itself to declare, "we will have a summer tourist season."
They will have a summer tourist season internally. It may well be Balkanized internally, but enough of these countries’ authorities are with it that the statement about having a summer tourist season is correct and will hold up for those inside the Schengen area already or otherwise currently admissible to the Schengen area.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:16 pm
Suspended

And it is in practical terms harder to enforce those bans even against other Schengen countries’ citizens because ordinarily these countries don’t allocate a lot of resources to seal internal national borders. And even at extraordinary times where they allocate more resources to patrol national borders internal to Schengen, there are often practical ways to cross these internal borders without being stopped and identified as being subject to a ban.

They will have a summer tourist season internally. It may well be Balkanized internally, but enough of these countries’ authorities are with it that the statement about having a summer tourist season is correct and will hold up for those inside the Schengen area already or otherwise currently admissible to the Schengen area.
Iceland is opening to tourists from outside Schengen on June 15th. Oh wait, I forgot: DOG AND PONY SHOW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.