Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Today the Finnish gov't announced that from 13/July travel is scheduled to be back to normal to/from DE, AT, CH, SK, HU, SL, LI, IT, HR, CY, IE in addition to the current few (Balts & Scandi sans SE). Final decision on 10/July. Also announced threshold - 8 new cases/100k pop in a rolling 14 days period.

As usual, unclear if it is passport, place of departure or residence that counts.

PS - FI has now around 3/100k, with R<0,4 while SE has 112/100k. This causes bad blood as there has been free movement and no border between the two (and other Nordics) since the mid-1950's and now there has been a serious one for the last 3 months.
Very good news indeed. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
As you say, you would need a real Swiss cheese scenario for things to go wrong in this case.

For you to get banged up, the following things need to happen:

1) One of the very few cases in Switzerland needs to get on a plane to MLA.

2) That person needs to be sitting within two rows of you.

3) The authorities need to get their backsides in gear within the few days you are there.

4) You need to answer you phone.

​​​​​The chances of all four of these things happening are, objectively, pretty low.

Even if all of these things were to happen, I find it unlikely that you would then be forbidden from leaving Malta and continuing with your plans.

In your position, if it were somewhere I really wanted to go, I would be up for it without a second thought.

The usual caveat applies - everyone has their own personal level of risk tolerance and you should do your own research - translation: go for it mate, but don't blame me if it goes bums up!
You wouldn't be allowed to leave if you are positive, you would be quarantined for 14 days. What applies to you though if you were within that 2-row threshold, I don't know.

If someone feels sick and is tested days later etc, that's obviously not an issue since I'd already be back on the mainland, however if someone has a fever and is tested upon landing, that is a different story as I am sure test results are fairly quick so would still be around. You have to provide proper contact details and they'd have my passport and other details so I could your point number 4 would be very relevant. They would know where I am staying so I am sure they would come and say hello if I missed their call...
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:16 pm

In other (sadly negative) German news, Göttingen has passed the 50 new infections per 100k threshold so I guess a local lockdown in this part of Germany is coming as well. And in another part of Germany, 23 out of 50 people randomly tested from a slaughterhouse were positive, so now they will be testing all 1,100 employees... a very bad sign about another possible outbreak in a slaughterhouse leading to yet another local lockdown.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
go for it I’m doing Greece on Sunday via Switzerland.

as you said Switzerland is a great country to transit, you don’t even need to wear masks at the airport there.
::Facepalm::
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Germany will not return to a lockdown.

I am looking forward to my Berlin city break in August, after Geneva in July! Considering a Barcelona now too....
Good luck with that.....

And those thinking the EU will open up for the US tourist $$$....you do realize the politicians here have to answer to voters as well, right? The poor US response is very well known here, and the country in general is a bit of a laughingstock at the moment. It could well be political suicide to push to open up for Americans.
Sjoerd and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Spain is now allowing passengers from the UK, it is not clear if a UK resident with another passport is allowed to enter. Everything on IATA indicates I would be allowed but I cannot find an official source. Any info anywhere?

UPDATE: Contacted the Spanish consulate and they confirmed it is fine! 'We inform you that from the 21st June tourists traveling from the UK are allowed entry in Spain and there is no obligation for quarantine. This includes non EU citizens.'

Last edited by braiden9; Jun 23, 2020 at 1:53 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:26 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Dan1113
In other (sadly negative) German news, Göttingen has passed the 50 new infections per 100k threshold so I guess a local lockdown in this part of Germany is coming as well. And in another part of Germany, 23 out of 50 people randomly tested from a slaughterhouse were positive, so now they will be testing all 1,100 employees... a very bad sign about another possible outbreak in a slaughterhouse leading to yet another local lockdown.
And to add on this: two Lander (Bayern and Poméranie) have forbidden anyone who have been in the last 14 days in the lockdown counties to stay on their territories,
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:27 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/w...84dbf009d95519
Countries on the E.U. draft lists have been selected as safe based on a combination of epidemiological criteria. The benchmark is the E.U. average number of new infections — over the past 14 days — per 100,000 people, which is currently 16 for the bloc. The comparable number for the United States is 107, while Brazil’s is 190 and Russia’s is 80, according to a Times database.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Opinion please. I am planning on flying to Malta from Zurich, where there are not that many cases. Only after 15 July when UK residents are legally allowed in Malta.

Anyone with a fever on arrival is tested and if they are sick, the people +-2 rows are contacted. Whether they need to go into quarantine or not I don't know, ive emailed Malta to find out, but I would imagine the answer is yes.
Personally I find going to locations with rules like this too risky. It may have made sense a month ago when it seemed to be the only way to travel. These days there are plenty of hassle-free options, with much lower risk of a knee-jerk reactions that may confine you to a hotel room for a week.

If you're after sun & beach, why not go to Spain, Italy, Slovenia or Croatia, which all seem to be accessible to Brits and have no nonsensical rules in place?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Given that e.g. Finland will open to 12 EU countries (on top of the 6 already open) only on the 13/July and currently have a threshold of 8/100k to "green" countries, I see nothing happening on the EU level soon.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by the810
Personally I find going to locations with rules like this too risky. It may have made sense a month ago when it seemed to be the only way to travel. These days there are plenty of hassle-free options, with much lower risk of a knee-jerk reactions that may confine you to a hotel room for a week.

If you're after sun & beach, why not go to Spain, Italy, Slovenia or Croatia, which all seem to be accessible to Brits and have no nonsensical rules in place?
Slovenia isn't allowing UK residents. Are there no possible restrictions on Croatia? I was tempted for Montenegro but wasn't sure how leaving the EU/Schengen could affect continuing my trip once flying back to Germany.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by braiden9
Spain is now allowing passengers from the UK, it is not clear if a UK resident with another passport is allowed to enter. Everything on IATA indicates I would be allowed but I cannot find an official source. Any info anywhere?

UPDATE: Contacted the Spanish consulate and they confirmed it is fine! 'We inform you that from the 21st June tourists traveling from the UK are allowed entry in Spain and there is no obligation for quarantine. This includes non EU citizens.'
So would this indicate that people either transiting the UK or entering the UK, quarantining then heading onwards would be allowed into Spain and presumably onward into the EU regardless of their nationality?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So would this indicate that people either transiting the UK or entering the UK, quarantining then heading onwards would be allowed into Spain and presumably onward into the EU regardless of their nationality?
It’s not regardless of residency, unless the traveler is using an EU/EEA passport.

An ordinary US passport user in the UK trying to enter the Schengen zone as a tourist in Spain when not in possession of proof of residency in the EU/EEA may face problems tomorrow too even when trying to fly from London to Spain. Even if the airline lets you travel, Spanish border control will be its own issue.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 23, 2020 at 2:26 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Slovenia isn't allowing UK residents. Are there no possible restrictions on Croatia? I was tempted for Montenegro but wasn't sure how leaving the EU/Schengen could affect continuing my trip once flying back to Germany.
My bad about Slovenia, sorry. Croatia is open to UK nationals/residents provided you have an accomodation booking (it may be helpful to print the reservation).
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s not regardless of residency, unless the traveler is using an EU/EEA passport.

An ordinary US passport user trying to enter the Schengen zone as a tourist in Spain when not in possession of proof of residency in the EU/EEA May face problems tomorrow too even when trying to fly from London to Spain. Even if the airline lets you travel, Spanish border control will be its own story.
And even if the spanish will let it pass, i bet you 5 bucks that intra-shengen from spain will get borderchecks at all arriving airports when this loophole gets out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.