Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Germany will not return to a lockdown.

I am looking forward to my Berlin city break in August, after Geneva in July! Considering a Barcelona now too....
Plane flights in Europe are really picking up now, I can't even get a window Business Class seat for a flight at the end of the week!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:08 pm
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Where is the source for this that they are forcing people to go home?

You are talking about an outbreak in a meat factory, so one location. How is that a lockdown? The only people in quarantine are the direct people in the meat plant and their families, and after 2 negative tests they are allowed out. The R rate is not reliable in low infection situations as 10 people can infect 1000 others and that would be an R rate of 3!

It is barely in the media, which means people are living their lives as normal as possible (with reasonable precautions).

see article at BILD..de from Usedom.

and you are correct, three is no lock-down, just people in quarantine. But authorities are discussing further measures (besides closing all schools) and also a lock down in the area. Source local health minister at ARD talk show ‘Hart aber Fair’.

i could go in further detail but I think we have a travel and flyer forum here not a health scientific space ;-)
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Plane flights in Europe are really picking up now, I can't even get a window Business Class seat for a flight at the end of the week!
This is very exciting stuff. I saw KLM are planning to be back to 60% of pre covid capacity by August! At this rate we may be back to normal or very near normal capacity by years end!
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Shl
see article at BILD..de from Usedom.

and you are correct, three is no lock-down, just people in quarantine. But authorities are discussing further measures (besides closing all schools) and also a lock down in the area. Source local health minister at ARD talk show ‘Hart aber Fair’.

i could go in further detail but I think we have a travel and flyer forum here not a health scientific space ;-)
Are there even schools in Europe this time? It's summer holidays for most of them!
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shl
Germany is close to lock down in the north western area. Thousands of people are in quarantine. Holiday makers from the affected area are asked to finish their vacations at beaches. They are forced by the local authorities to go back home. R number is a little bit down today compared to yesterday but still well over 2 (2.76 - 23:30 pm German time) - and we should not forget that this number is a reflection of the situation from 10 days ago.
Well this is certainly data without context. For those of us who don't refer to the Bild for 'news', here is from Welt.de a translation. Note that this exactly what was the plan all along from the start of reopening, and Welt refers to one couple being asked to leave.
On the holiday island of Usedom, a couple from Gütersloh have been asked to leave prematurely. This was announced by the district office of the Vorpommern-Greifswald district on Monday evening. In the Gütersloh district of North Rhine-Westphalia , there was a massive corona outbreak in a meat factory of the Tönnies company. As of Sunday, 1331 Corona tests were positive among the employeesDistrict spokesman Achim Froitzheim regretted that the holiday guests had to cancel their stay, but referred to the applicable regulation of the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. Accordingly, people are not allowed to enter or stay if they come from a district or an independent city in which the number of new infections per 100,000 inhabitants is more than 50 in the last seven days before entry.
https://www.welt.de/regionales/meckl...t-zurueck.html

Are there even schools in Europe this time? It's summer holidays for most of them!
The German states stagger school holidays to try and minimize clogging up Autobahn and airports (with minimal success) Summer holiday in Bavaria begins 27th July and Pfingsten holiday just ended.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:31 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shl
and you are correct, three is no lock-down, just people in quarantine. But authorities are discussing further measures (besides closing all schools) and also a lock down in the area.
There is a parallel case in the UK. In the last few days 175 out of 400 workers at a chicken processing factory on Anglesey have tested positive for Coronavirus and the Welsh Government is considering a local lockdown. Welsh schools are supposed to re-open on 29 June but schools on Anglesey are not opening.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:23 pm

I am looking forward to my Berlin city break in August, after Geneva in July! Considering a Barcelona now too....
German states have agreed that where the case count in the last 7 days exceeds 50 per 100,000 people (with some states reducing the limit to 25 cases per 100,000 people), then quarantine measures will be implemented to control the outbreak. This has happened to varying degrees in 3 areas that I am aware of, with restrictions implemented including closure or schools, closure of impacted businesses, quarantine/lockdown of specific people or housing blocks.

You can find the latest status (in english) here: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile
Or a dashboard: https://corona.rki.de/

Spain also re-implemented restrictions in Aragon yesterday, moving from phase 3 re-opening back to phase 2, due to increasing cases.

Sensible governments will do what they have to in order to avoid being the next Wuhan / Bergamo / New York, while at the same time attempting to minimise the impact for citizens. Hopefully local measures are enough to bring these outbreaks under control, but I wouldn't rule out regional or national measures where required. Statements that places will not return to lockdown are false, and represent opinion and not fact.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 11:59 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
100 flights arrive in Spain on the first day it opens up for tourism.

A total of 100 passenger aircraft from the Schengen Zone arrived at the Spanish airports on the first day after the country reopened its borders, on June 21, for European Union and Schengen area nationals, except Portugal, which have been closed so far due to the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).

According to the Spanish airport operator AENA, on Sunday, 40 flights alone have arrived at Madrid’s Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport alone, 18 of which were international flights, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...g-its-borders/
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:01 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by 8420PR
German states have agreed that where the case count in the last 7 days exceeds 50 per 100,000 people (with some states reducing the limit to 25 cases per 100,000 people), then quarantine measures will be implemented to control the outbreak. This has happened to varying degrees in 3 areas that I am aware of, with restrictions implemented including closure or schools, closure of impacted businesses, quarantine/lockdown of specific people or housing blocks.

You can find the latest status (in english) here: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile
Or a dashboard: https://corona.rki.de/

Spain also re-implemented restrictions in Aragon yesterday, moving from phase 3 re-opening back to phase 2, due to increasing cases.

Sensible governments will do what they have to in order to avoid being the next Wuhan / Bergamo / New York, while at the same time attempting to minimise the impact for citizens. Hopefully local measures are enough to bring these outbreaks under control, but I wouldn't rule out regional or national measures where required. Statements that places will not return to lockdown are false, and represent opinion and not fact.
That's interesting so a week from now, countries which are now open could re-impose measures, which is understandable.

Complacency could already be occurring. Not sure what the limits on gathering are but these pictures seem to indicate that they're exceeding the number of people allowed to gather closely.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/ma...s_4017437.html
Old Jun 23, 2020, 1:57 am

News I have found since yesterday.

Estonia is sticking to its quarantine rules of 15 cases per 100,000 in the last 7 days and as a result, Poland, Bulgaria, and Romania are now part of their quarantine list. Does not bode well for those who thought that once borders opened they would stay open, or that as we approach July, all EU borders would reopen.

Portugal is putting in new restrictions in Lisbon in order to try to slow down cases there. Commerce now has to close by 8pm and other measures are being put in place. It is a return to a sort of localised mini lockdown situation.

Hungary is indeed allowing all EU citizens in, except for UK citizens. To the point that even a UK citizen resident in Hungary, it was confirmed yesterday by the British Embassy, would need to apply for permission to return, meaning that UK citizens resident in the country are effectively trapped there and cannot travel until this changes. It is the only country in the EU that has reopened that has treated UK citizens differently to the rest of the EU; others have either reopened to all EU citizens, incl the UK, or if there are restrictions, it is due to the virus situation in the UK, not anything else.

Yesterday UK deaths and case numbers were the lowest since March, so hopefully the UK will move into more 'green' categories with many countries over the next week or two. Denmark's reopening included the UK but not some EU states, incl Sweden, so it is an optimistic sign.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by exp
That's interesting so a week from now, countries which are now open could re-impose measures, which is understandable.

Complacency could already be occurring. Not sure what the limits on gathering are but these pictures seem to indicate that they're exceeding the number of people allowed to gather closely.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/ma...s_4017437.html
Yes - complacency could be occurring, or there could be no problem whatsoever. We know relatively little about transmission (except that the virus is spread out of people's mouth and nose), so there is a lot of "test and adjust" going on. At least in some other European countries large groups of young and old people have been gathering outside in this way for nearly 2 months, with seemingly little impact that I am aware of. I am not advocating re-imposing the lockdown, just that we are realistic that it could happen.

My opinion on the photo: Most people probably stuck to their relatively small group of people (as a normal behavior), and with a 1 in 10,000 estimated chance (in France) of someone having COVID-19, I say let people have their fun. The chance of transmission outside is supposedly much less than inside. Other people will have a different level of acceptable risk.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:16 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Gutersloh county is put back into lockdown, confirmed by the mayor.
https://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zei...-guetersloh-an

300 000 people locked inside the county, most shops closed, take away in restaurant only, gathering authorised only for 2 people max.
nk15 and Shl like this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Germany has just locked down the area surrounding the meat factory breakout. Expect more of this.
Shl likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Germany has just locked down the area surrounding the meat factory breakout. Expect more of this.
the UK said the same ‘local lockdowns’. Even Greece has local lockdowns right now. NY, Milan and London have had so many cases in the past it’s likely they have some degree of immunity.

it’s just about living with it really and people getting on with it. I would say right now the safest places for a holiday in Europe are Austria, Switzerland, the UK (if they let anyone in) and Greece
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is very little evidence of pure immunity, by the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.