Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
You can't be serious, in Greece all the clubs are packed. The only 'enforcement' they do is a few places to show an example, aka. they didn't 'look after' the authorities well enough, like the place they closed in Mykonos, Alemagou, has issues with the authorities every summer!
It is tough to enforce even in Greece, but they do a better job than in the past or compared to other countries, at least they care and try. This extremely lax mentality displayed in this forurm is dangerous, I hope at least the Greek government cracks down on these attitudes and behaviors, or set as many barriers as possible, so there is a fighting chance to maintain prevention.
curt and renila like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
As The_bouncer said, it will be a challenge for the tourism industry to find a good compromise that works for everyone and those who are worried simply won't travel but as I said before, I really appreciate that most European countries are at least trying to find ways to make this work and I do believe that we have to learn to live with this virus just like we have to live with so many other unknowns in our lifes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne.../#6a8ddd6d31c9
“For international visitors, it’s time to mirror the measured and safe approaches taken in other countries – like Germany, France, Italy and Australia, among many that have started to re-open borders to safe countries.”

The leaders did not call for the resumption of travel between Canada and the U.S. in either overture.
Let's hope that we continue to see sensible approaches in the coming days to continue to open up things....
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by nk15
It is tough to enforce even in Greece, but they do a better job than in the past or compared to other countries, at least they care and try. This extremely lax mentality displayed in this forurm is dangerous, I hope at least the Greek government cracks down on these attitudes and behaviors, or set as many barriers as possible, so there is a fighting chance to maintain prevention.

In Greece no one cares, life is normal. This is Athens last night. ​​​​​​Bars and clubs are packed, people go out less mainly I believe due to economic reasons as the country is very worried about how much income they will have from tourism.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The health care system in Greece is very fragile and limited, even before covid-19. If there are any significant spikes, it will be overwhelmed easily, so their best chance is prevention.

They may be more relaxed in Greece at certain places because of the high temperatures and the few cases in the country, but this can change quickly.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
The health care system in Greece is very fragile and limited, even before covid-19. If there are any significant spikes, it will be overwhelmed easily, so their best chance is prevention.

They may be more relaxed in Greece at certain places because of the high temperatures and the few cases in the country, but this can change quickly.
Perhaps, but that's at least October when they need to start worrying about that, and with all the surveillance and testing, likely they can contain it better. Not many tourists in the winter in GR, so not many imported cases, and I am sure they will take measures at the border if there is a country that is really badly hit.
exbayern likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:36 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I don't think heat will prevent, if the current steep slope of increases in FL, TX and AZ are indications.

But they're being driven inside to air conditioned spaces anyways so it's not like sun and heat are big factors, especially at night at those clubs.

Maybe Greek clubs and bars are different than FL clubs and bars, maybe more of them have outdoor spaces?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by exp
I don't think heat will prevent, if the current steep slope of increases in FL, TX and AZ are indications.

But they're being driven inside to air conditioned spaces anyways so it's not like sun and heat are big factors, especially at night at those clubs.

Maybe Greek clubs and bars are different than FL clubs and bars, maybe more of them have outdoor spaces?
Yes it hardly rains in the summer, so many beach bars/night bars and clubs are outdoors.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp

Restaurants and coffee shops in Greece are typically 75% outdoors, and similar for pubs and clubs, at least in tourist areas, so that offers some protection.
renila and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:17 pm

Both FCO and reopen EU seem to indeed think that Hungary has reopened for everyone EU/EEA/CH minus the UK

As of 18 June, EU and EEA citizens, as well as Hungarians returning from these countries, may enter Hungary without restrictions. Citizens of the European Union as well as Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway, and Iceland are allowed to freely enter Hungary, without restrictions, and Hungarian citizens returning from the countries of the EU or the European Economic Area do not have to enter quarantine after crossing the Hungarian border either. This does not apply to the United Kingdom; UK citizens may only enter Hungary with separate permission, and subject to individual assessment may be obliged to enter quarantine for two weeks, while Hungarian citizens returning from the UK are allowed to enter Hungary without any restriction.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I very much hope that we are able to go to Europe in September as we are planning our escape and we'll be staying for at least month. At least if we get stuck in Europe, there will be more options.
I hope you do also. Also the economies of several struggling European countries battered by this covid19 response will very much need your foreign cash!

I would love to see a Canada-Europe travel pact ASAP.
yvrcnx and Goldorak like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta SM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but now that countries in the EU have begun reopening their borders, are there passport checks on trains/roads between Schengen countries? I'm an American citizen but living in Brussels and want to know if I can travel to France, Netherlands, Italy, etc.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Sorry if this has already been answered, but now that countries in the EU have begun reopening their borders, are there passport checks on trains/roads between Schengen countries? I'm an American citizen but living in Brussels and want to know if I can travel to France, Netherlands, Ireland, etc.
Spot checks may always occur, even at borders where no regular checks are maintained. Whether you can travel to other Schengen state depends on local regulations - they still apply even if there is no border control. Note that most restrictions are based on residency, therefore being a resident of Belgium, you would be treated as Belgian by vast majority of Schengen states. Also note that Ireland is not part of the Schengen area.

​​​​​I believe Netherlands never closed the internal border. France is now open to all EU residents.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:47 am

Meant to type Italy, still not awake.

Are these spot checks any more common than they would be pre-Covid? Part of the issue is that I don't have residency established here yet. In the process of applying for a work visa but because of the snail's pace that things are going, I think it'll be a while.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:51 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Germany can probably be explained by the large cluster in NRW.
What about the other countries ? Test increase or not ? I would think no test increase in Greece and Romania, maybe even Switzerland. Let’s see the hospitalisation numbers next weekend.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:52 am

And also the fact that France is now open should mean that you can take the train from Brussels to Paris no problem without expecting to have to show your passport, just like normal times?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.