Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
What about other EU citizens entering from Sweden?
That will still vary. Denmark isn’t even allowing in all Swedes as of June 27th, as Denmark is planning to discriminate based on where in Sweden someone resides regardless of citizenship. But Denmark hasn’t even put out exactly how all this will be implemented and has indicated things in this regard may not even be finalized before June 25th.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That will still vary. Denmark isn’t even allowing in all Swedes as of June 27th, as Denmark is planning to discriminate based on where in Sweden someone resides regardless of citizenship. But Denmark hasn’t even put out exactly how all this will be implemented and has indicated things in this regard may not even be finalized before June 25th.
Thanks. I guess we'll find out then. Specifically, this would be an Irish citizen, resident in Austria, travelling by private car.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:18 am

Hungary has indeed reopened to EU+CH+EEA+UK.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
What if you flew to Portugal then drove across the borders to your next destination? An American friend of mine departed the UK ~2 weeks ago and drove through France to Monaco and on to Italy with no problems.
Originally Posted by Dan1113
You might get away with it because there might be only random spot checks at the border, but it would still be illegal.
Land border between Portugal and Spain is closed until July 1st. As of today only a few border points are open but very few people / cases can cross it (trucks carrying goods, people that live and work cross-borders and not much else).
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by justatourist
Land border between Portugal and Spain is closed until July 1st. As of today only a few border points are open but very few people / cases can cross it (trucks carrying goods, people that live and work cross-borders and not much else).
Assume that France doesn't open to Americans by July 1, but I want to fly to Lisbon then drive to Paris in early July.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It depends upon how/where you encounter border control within the Schengen area and even whom you encounter. The good news is that if you’re stopped and turned around once already legally admitted into the Schengen zone, most commonly they turn you around without trying to make a big stink of it when it comes to personal, future travel restrictions to/from/within the Schengen zone. In other words, they may just say you’re not allowed into the country and turn you back to the Schengen country from which you just came.

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Thanks. I guess we'll find out then. Specifically, this would be an Irish citizen, resident in Austria, travelling by private car.
There used to be a ferry option to go from Germany to Sweden, so it may be something to consider if for some off-chance reason Denmark would deny transit to/from Sweden after June 27th/July 1st. I have an Austrian friend in southern Sweden who will be doing personal/family trips between Sweden and Austria via Denmark+ this summer, so I may get some idea from this friend about how things go for Austrian citizens/residents when it comes to travel to/from Sweden via Denmark and Germany.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I decided not to wait for the UK Quarantine announcement, the flights are already all full. Booked LHR-ZRH-ATH-FRA-LHR from 28 June to 5 July. Hopefully the air bridges thing will be in effect after 4 July, but I am not waiting anymore and will fly regardless.
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Ok, I think the Hungary thing is a misunderstanding. On a different page it says that citizens who are NOT allowed in are citizens of non-EU/EEA/CH countries, except the UK. So I think it is a double negative: it is saying that non-EU citizens can't get in, with the exception of the UK (which is not an EU country anymore, but whose citizen are allowed in).

That is my interpretation of it now.

https://hungarytoday.hu/hungarian-bo...-among-others/
now that you say that and rereading the original text , it could really be understood both ways - poor writing skills of lawyers - and I agree with your reading that they must mean that UK citizens are allowed in, though saying it in a very, very weird way.
Dan1113 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:04 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So it's been about 2 weeks since at least some intra-EU travel has been permitted.

Has anyone here traveled?

Would be good to hear accounts of hotel availability, restaurants being open (for takeaway at least), whether any of the popular tourist sites are crowding, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by exp
So it's been about 2 weeks since at least some intra-EU travel has been permitted.

Would be good to hear accounts of hotel availability, restaurants being open (for takeaway at least), whether any of the popular tourist sites are crowding, etc.
There are a few posts about travel from already a few weeks ago around DACH countries, Slovakia, Czechia, etc. Consensus is that life is almost 'normal' for those who did post.

And don't forget that museums were already open from early May in Germany, along with other things so there was not some sudden 'we're OPEN!' which resulted. German media has reported on especially the north being busy but business is picking up from a leisure perspective and in some industries as well around the country.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by exp

I live in Slovakia and I've been to Austria, Czechia, Hungary and Germany within last couple of weeks.

Almost all restaurants are open for dine-in, except few places that unfortunatelly didn't make it through the crisis (and many tourists traps that luckily didn't make it through the crisis). This has been the case for over a month already. Bars and pubs are also open and generally bustling with people. Some countries still have social distancing rules in place (e.g. minimal distance between tables, or limited amount of people in stores), while others don't.

Many hotels are still closed due to the lack of demand, but you should have no trouble finding an open property in pretty much any location. There are some good deals available these days and if you have a status with the hotel chain, chances of upgrades are much higher than they used to be - my favourite property in Prague never upgraded me during my dozen of pre-COVID stays, but this week I got lovely corner room with a terrace and a beautiful view for the price of standard room, which itself was about 50 percent cheaper than it used to be.

There is an obvious lack of tourists compared to pre-COVID times, however, cities are still very lively and filled with people, so it doesn't feel like visiting a ghost town. Most of the people are locals but there is also a noticable increase of "short-haul" tourism, i.e. people from neighbouring countries. I can't comment on indoor sights, as I avoid those due to the face mask requirements.

To wrap it up, central Europe is very much back to the business as usual, but less crowded (which is a good thing from traveller's perspective). Services are available, you won't go hungry and you will have a place to stay. The only major difference is a face mask requirement but even that is being progressively withdrawn (Austria already doesn't require masks in shops, Czechia will not require them on trains from July, etc.) or outright ignored by the general public.
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by exp

I am in Corsica for the weekend and feel like being in heaven. Spent the day at the beach and enjoying walking around and beach bars and restaurants
af fp likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:55 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am in Corsica for the weekend and feel like being in heaven. Spent the day at the beach and enjoying walking around and beach bars and restaurants
Ah, envy you.

Had a trip planned to Cote d'Azur with a few days in Corsica from late May to mid June that I had to cancel.

Maybe next year.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:01 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by exp

I am in Estonia. Things are normal although very quiet (TLL has 5-7 flights per day). Hotel running with some restrictions (breakfast in room), occupancy looks like 20-30%
Restaurants are quiet too.
Enjoying the Old Town without the crowd under sunny skies.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Austria: normal life in almost every respect. Hotels open. Restaurants, bars, cafés open. Everything fully functional. Social distancing (1m) universally ignored and not even discussed. Masks only on public transport (not used it, but heard enforcement is very lax), but apart from that you wouldn't even know there had ever been a virus.

Germany: not quite normal yet. Mask rule enforced by police in railway stations, etc. Masks also in shops. 1.5m distancing sporadically enforced in busy places. Capacity controls at certain attractions. Plexiglass screens hanging everywhere. That said, almost fully functional in every major industry.

Switzerland: Fully functional. No masks. 2m distancing guideline partially observed, leading to very occasional short queues at small stores.

Once I stand down from work in the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to report from Slovenia, Croatia and possibly Serbia and Bulgaria.
the810 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.