Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by the810
And what is the difference between (current) German rules and Swedish rules, apart from face masks?
The outcomes by and for this summer are different, with Germans being able to travel more easily to more places across the Schengen area than is the case for Swedes in the main.
Sjoerd likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The outcomes by and for this summer are different, with Germans being able to travel more easily to more places across the Schengen area than is the case for Swedes in the main.
Ok, but what is the difference in current rules? I know and agree that they used to be different in past. My argument is that these days, most of Europe is adopting the Swedish model, essentially introducing same rules as Sweden has. Macron speech also seems to confirm that when he says there will not be another lockdown even if there is a second wave.

​​​
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Ok, but what is the difference in current rules? I know and agree that they used to be different in past. My argument is that these days, most of Europe is adopting the Swedish model, essentially introducing same rules as Sweden has. Macron speech also seems to confirm that when he says there will not be another lockdown even if there is a second wave.

​​​
Bolding mine.

I hope he sticks to it. If anyone in the Austrian government ever mentions the L word again, I'm straight in the car and down to Perpignan.
BLV, the810, flyingcrazy and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 8420PR
It is correct. Travelers from high risk countries (including Sweden) are required to notify public health authorities and quarantine for 14 days.

Here is the link to the letter you should be given when you arrive in Germany: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

And here is the latest (updated today) list of countries considered high risk: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...biete_neu.html

• USA - the following states are currently considered risk areas:
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • South Carolina
    • Louisiana
    • Mississippi
    • Iowa
    • Utah
    • Maryland
    • District of Columbia
    • Tennessee
    • Nebraska
    • California
    • Georgia
    • Florida
    • South Dakota

The court verdict you are referring to was in Saxony and determined that a blanket quarantine could not be put in place - it had to be limited to travelers arriving from high risk locations.

From a US perspective, the list of states has been expanded significantly today. Now 29 states, territories, and the District of Columbia.

And the court verdict I referred to was actually not the Lower (?) Saxony ruling. There was another one more recently in NRW that invalidated the Einreiseverordnung in NRW.

https://www.lto.de/recht/nachrichten...ordnung-reise/

The state’s webpage started acknowledging that ruling on 6/15 (when the old ordinance would have expired anyway):

https://www.land.nrw/de/wichtige-fra...virus#70088aff

I suspect there will soon be a more limited ordinance that is based on the RKI country (state?) assessment above.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:05 pm

Saw this update from the FCO on Poland.

Flights between Poland and the UK are suspended until at least 30 June. From 17 June flights permitted between Poland and most members of the European Economic Area and Switzerland, apart from the United Kingdom, Sweden and Portugal. Other international flights remain suspended until 30 June ('Return to UK' page)
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Saw this update from the FCO on Poland.
Eurgh
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:14 pm

The government is banning flights to Great Britain and Sweden at the last minute
https://trojmiasto.wyborcza.pl/trojm...K.P-B.1-L.2.zw

On Tuesday evening, a regulation was issued prohibiting flights to Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Sweden and Portugal. The first planes were to fly to these countries ... on Wednesday at 6 am.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Several countries, like Spain, Germany, etc, use the following language for exempt passengers currently allowed in their country [EU] "Passengers returning via [Spain] to their place of residency".

Does anyone know how they interpret "place of residency"? Do they go with country of citizenship/passport (for citizens) as place of residency, or do they want proof of actual residency in the country you are headed to?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Bolding mine.

I hope he sticks to it. If anyone in the Austrian government ever mentions the L word again, I'm straight in the car and down to Perpignan.
There never was a lockdown.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:45 am

​​​
This is incredibly misleading. Noone is adopting the Swedish model. Even Sweden said it was a bad idea. Instead, where possible, they are loosening regulations because they have the situation under some sembelance of control.

It's amazing how people consider not eating out and being asked to wear a mask a "lockdown". How far we've come in 75 years as a bunch of first world sissies.
notquiteaff and fransknorge like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by nk15
Several countries, like Spain, Germany, etc, use the following language for exempt passengers currently allowed in their country [EU] "Passengers returning via [Spain] to their place of residency".

Does anyone know how they interpret "place of residency"? Do they go with country of citizenship/passport (for citizens) as place of residency, or do they want proof of actual residency in the country you are headed to?
I'm not sure about Spain, but vast majority of countries accepts passport as de facto proof of residency (even though it's not), not requiring anything else. Residency documents normally only need to presented if the place of residency is different than the citizenship.
MSPeconomist and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Proof of residency right is more commonly the case here. That usually means citizenship and/or residency permit and/or proof of having a residential address for the destination if ordinarily admissible without stay limit.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Results from random tests conducted in Greece of incoming tourists in the last few days: Out of 7,000 tests, only 4 were positive, which they consider as a very positive outcome.

They are now more concerned with the population relaxing distancing measures (partying, etc.), than importing cases.
yvrcnx, exbayern and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:55 pm

Results from random tests conducted in Greece of incoming tourists in the last few days: Out of 7,000 tests, only 4 were positive, which they consider as a very positive outcome.

They are now more concerned with the population relaxing distancing measures (partying, etc.), than importing cases.
Do you think if we agree an air bridge with Greece they will still do the random testing In July, I don't fancy being herded off for several hours and then having to self isolate for 24 hours waste of holiday?
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
To foreigners which the US is shut to for those from Europe. For Australia currently you can enter if you get granted a special visa (seafarers, medical experts etc) and then have to quarantine for 14 days at an airport hotel funded by the OZ Gov.

However wondering when the likes of US, Canada, Oz will reopen normally to foreigners. Would they really shut till 2021? Find that incredibly extreme.
My guess is that the USA won't open to the EU etc. before it opens to Canada.

Not wanting to get too political, but Scotland also likes to make a point of being different to England all the time. That may be some the motivation. Also she was on the way out according to rumours up here, so a lockdown was a great distraction.

I agree with another poster, that having 1 country 4 systems is very frustrating and inefficient. However I suppose the US is 1 country, 50 systems!
This seems somewhat similar to mainland China/HK/Macao. Other parallels would be Germany (with different lander having different rules at the moment) and the USA, where states control health measures (including quarantine requirements and possibly even admission of residents from other states who are USA citizens) but the federal government is responsible for immigration, visas, etc., plus the relationship between the EU/Schengen and its member states, although that seems closer to a case of individual countries making their own rules but also voluntarily agreeing on common standards. Of course, none of these examples are similar to the UK in all ways.

This was a knee jerk reaction when Europe was the epicentre. Now it going away, and as tourist dependent states reopen, the pressure will pile up! Florida is a very important state in US elections, and they have millions of Europeans going there every year, he may want to remind himself of this.

I do not have any trips planned to the US, however if I had one booked for the October break I would be fairly confident it will go ahead.
The USA and Canada extended their mutual border closing agreement yesterday, by one more month to about July 21st, according to CNN. I wouldn't expect the USA to be willing to admit EU folks before then, although (especially if we ignore the data) things might open with the UK before the rest of Europe. By reciprocity, USA citizens and residents won't be able to enter the UK and Europe for tourism etc. any earlier. IMO part of the issue is the apparent requirement that *most* (EC or Schengen?) of Europe must be treated the same.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I think that's a fair assessment of the public health officials' tendencies in general. The recent article with Fauci was really just his opinion and there are others advising the Administration, of course. Not to mention other considerations such as tourism and other industries. A week or so ago the President was asked about lifting the European restrictions and indicated some would be reassessed "soon". I really wish the White House would give an update on the current thinking at least. Or better yet just get on with reopening for Europeans at least. My guess would be within the next few weeks but no later than the end of July.
COVID-19 isn't the top USA policy priority right now, which means consideration of opening borders with Europe is on hold for now, and even when it does become the priority issue again, attention will be on domestic hotspots such as Florida first before Europe can be considered. If the destinations most visited by European tourists (a better metric might be the most spending rather than total numbers of entries or total hotel room nights) are the most dangerous in terms of COVID-19 and especially if such places remain on European warning lists, there will not be a lot of incentive for opening the border and by reciprocity USA people will remain locked out of Europe.

What if they opened the border and no one came?

The rules are really simple:

1. Keep 6 feet (2 meters) distance from anyone who you do not live with, at all times, indoors or outdoors.
2. If less than 6 feet, wear a mask (indoors or outdoors).
3. When indoors for a reasonable amount of time, wear a mask and increase spacing. All flying requires a mask.
4. Maintain regular handwashing/hand sanitizing.

If everyone could follow this, the pandemic will over everywhere and we can keep going almost as usual. But enter the anti-maskers, and we will be back to outbreaks and lockdowns.
These aren't hard and fast rules. Indeed, at the beginning of COVID-19, the rule for social distancing was one meter or six feet. Now it's doubled and unclear whether we should use the English or metric system for this. Some experts are saying this isn't enough if exercise, animated talking, shouting, singing, etc. is involved. It's not that the virus can jump exactly six feet or two meters but rather a matter of trying to reduce both the probability and amount of infection. The same principles apply to the fifteen minute (of indoor close contact) rule and limits on the amount of time that can be spent enjoying a restaurant meal.

They will happen, as needed, along with other measures. The only thing that makes the difference between moving on with our lives and not going back to outbreaks and lockdowns is reasonable distancing and mask wearing. That's it. It is the equivalent of a vaccine, until a vaccine is available. A modest sacrifice to get life back to normal.
I just hope Europe adopts some consistent rules and guidelines instead of having the standards vary by country. No one wants to spend a vacation worrying about exactly what the local rules are, especially in the absence of some official reference covering all of Europe and in a language one understands. Inconsistent rules (or inconsistent enforcement) can lead to confrontations, especially among high season crowds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.