Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

 
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:43 am
  #841  
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhineland-Palatinate
Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Posts: 5,801
Originally Posted by the810
Despite the constant negative media covfefe coverage about Sweden, most European countries are now moving towards the Swedish model. That says a lot.
No, you keep saying this and have provided not a shred of evidence about this. No countries are doing this, none of them said they are doing this, none of them hinted they are doing this. Show us a statement from a government official from a European country explicitly saying this country now follow the Swedish model.
largeeyes likes this.
fransknorge is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:48 am
  #842  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 4,155
Originally Posted by fransknorge
No, you keep saying this and have provided not a shred of evidence about this. No countries are doing this, none of them said they are doing this, none of them hinted they are doing this. Show us a statement from a government official from a European country explicitly saying this country now follow the Swedish model.
No country is saying they follow Sweden and I never claimed it did. But if you look at new rules introduced across the Europe, they are pretty much the same as those in Sweden (+ masks). Some social distancing, no large events and that's just about it. Europe is now doing the same thing Sweden did all along.
the810 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:00 am
  #843  
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhineland-Palatinate
Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Posts: 5,801
This does not make any sense. Sweden did not tighten rules except a few. Other countries tightened rules severely for a short period of time (this was clearly announced) and then remove the rules gradually. Then or course they now have the same rules as Sweden, but the trajectory and principle behind are completely different. No country except Sweden are saying they are re-opening to let herd immunity takes its course.
fransknorge is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:26 am
  #844  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,770
Originally Posted by the810
Despite the constant negative media covfefe coverage about Sweden, most European countries are now moving towards the Swedish model. That says a lot.
This isn't even remotely true.
largeeyes is online now  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:32 am
  #845  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,553
The difference between Sweden and the rest of Europe is that the rest of Europe loosened things when there weren't as many cases to spread (though England is pushing it a bit on that one...), whereas last week, Sweden was having as many daily cases as the UK - pop 70m.
Dan1113 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:38 am
  #846  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 4,155
Originally Posted by fransknorge
This does not make any sense. Sweden did not tighten rules except a few. Other countries tightened rules severely for a short period of time (this was clearly announced) and then remove the rules gradually. Then or course they now have the same rules as Sweden, but the trajectory and principle behind are completely different. No country except Sweden are saying they are re-opening to let herd immunity takes its course.
Sweden isn't saying that either. They always claimed herd immunity is only a byproduct of their approach, not the goal.

I know other countries had more severe measures in place. But they are releasing them while the virus is still there. In many cases, they are releasing them at the time when they have higher infection rate than they had when they introduced them. Most of Europe now accepted that virus is here to stay and it can't prevent us from living. We need to be cautious, but we must go on. And that's exactly what Swedish approach has been from the beginning.
ahmetdouas likes this.
the810 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:47 am
  #847  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,769
Despite the echo chamber here, it is time to face reality - if the infection rate rises in countries, then measures will be introduced to reduce it. No country will let themselves become the next Bergamo or New York. Hopefully the infection rate can be controlled with local measures, but if not we will see national measures and border closures.

It is not a case of deciding between the economy or health - high infection rate means high economic impact - regardless of quarantine measures implemented or not.

I hope the whole covid-19 story is over, and travel can get back to normal. However, rationally I am expecting sporadic (hopefully localised) restrictions and border closures if we are lucky.
8420PR is online now  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:50 am
  #848  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,770
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Despite the echo chamber here, it is time to face reality - if the infection rate rises in countries, then measures will be introduced to reduce it. No country will let themselves become the next Bergamo or New York. Hopefully the infection rate can be controlled with local measures, but if not we will see national measures and border closures.

It is not a case of deciding between the economy or health - high infection rate means high economic impact - regardless of quarantine measures implemented or not.

I hope the whole covid-19 story is over, and travel can get back to normal. However, rationally I am expecting sporadic (hopefully localised) restrictions and border closures if we are lucky.
Well said, but I don't get your last paragraph. Over? Worldwide new cases are higher than ever, and the US is stuck at 20-25k per day like clockwork, just now in the south and southwest.
largeeyes is online now  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:52 am
  #849  
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhineland-Palatinate
Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Posts: 5,801
Originally Posted by the810
Sweden isn't saying that either. They always claimed herd immunity is only a byproduct of their approach, not the goal.

I know other countries had more severe measures in place. But they are releasing them while the virus is still there. In many cases, they are releasing them at the time when they have higher infection rate than they had when they introduced them. Most of Europe now accepted that virus is here to stay and it can't prevent us from living. We need to be cautious, but we must go on. And that's exactly what Swedish approach has been from the beginning.
The measure were released when the infection rate was decreasing. Either you are deliberately twisting fact to fit your narrative or you actually do not understand the acts being done to manage the epidemic so far.
Sjoerd and largeeyes like this.
fransknorge is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:03 am
  #850  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Now, in Europe at least, people are realising that we cannot simply stop the world from turning. People need to work, countries need to function and life needs to go on. ​​​​
Just picking this post as an example of the sentiment voiced by several FT users ITT.

I think it is BS that we "are realising that we can't stop the world from turning". I think from the outset, most EU governments were seeking measures commensurate to the threat. And currently, the threat intensity has been reduced. But we may well get back to a more dangerous situation if people aren't responsible.

As an example, in NYC, one in 400 people died from covid-19. It's quite extreme. For the typical New Yorker, several persons he know have died from the virus. And there may be more yet to come. Stock markets are afraid of a second wave.

People need to work, countries need to function and life needs to go on. ​​​​
People who die can't work. They represent a loss to the economy in terms of labor and human capital destroyed. And I'm not gonna comment on your banal phrases "countries need to function" and "life need to go on".
Sjoerd and largeeyes like this.
Stuttgart21 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:17 am
  #851  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,769
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Well said, but I don't get your last paragraph. Over? Worldwide new cases are higher than ever, and the US is stuck at 20-25k per day like clockwork, just now in the south and southwest.
I mean that i got the impression from other posters that they considered covid-19 to be over, as restrictions are relaxed and borders reopened. However rationally thinking it is certainly not over.
largeeyes likes this.
8420PR is online now  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:28 am
  #852  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,094
Originally Posted by the810
Despite the constant negative media covfefe coverage about Sweden, most European countries are now moving towards the Swedish model. That says a lot.
Blaming the media may be in vogue in parts, but it won’t change the fact that Sweden is currently the bęte noire of the EU when it comes to persons from Sweden wanting to engage in cross-border travel within the EU. This longer blacklisting of Swedish travelers — and Sweden’s much higher seasonal death rate per capita from this virus than its Nordic neighbors/passport union — is the consequence of Sweden’s approach to the virus situation.
Sjoerd likes this.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:27 am
  #853  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,769
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Blaming the media may be in vogue in parts, but it won’t change the fact that Sweden is currently the bęte noire of the EU when it comes to persons from Sweden wanting to engage in cross-border travel within the EU. This longer blacklisting of Swedish travelers — and Sweden’s much higher seasonal death rate per capita from this virus than its Nordic neighbors/passport union — is the consequence of Sweden’s approach to the virus situation.
Additionally, Sweden's economy (GDP) is in 2020 expected to decline at a greater percentage than their neighbours Denmark and Norway.

https://www.oecd.org/economic-outlook/
8420PR is online now  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:41 am
  #854  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 4
I live in Germany and can surely say that here we don't follow Sweden's path. People obey the rules and infections rates are pretty low here. France will also welcome only European travelers until 30 June. Then, we will see which non-EU countries will be given permission to travel to European Union countries. The USA has little chance considering the infection rates.
cockpitherald is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:59 am
  #855  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 4,155
Originally Posted by cockpitherald
I live in Germany and can surely say that here we don't follow Sweden's path. People obey the rules and infections rates are pretty low here.
And what is the difference between (current) German rules and Swedish rules, apart from face masks?
the810 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.