Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

 
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:06 pm
  #826  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by nk15
But enter the anti-maskers, and we will be back to outbreaks and lockdowns.
Lockdowns will not happen again. Maybe in China but not in the west. Leaders of the US, France, Belgium, Norway and Ireland have so far said as such. It is a once only thing, the horrific economic effects (which in turn has horrible health knock on effects) of lockdowns mean as such.
the810, The_Bouncer and ahmetdouas like this.
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:11 pm
  #827  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 12,286
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Lockdowns will not happen again. Maybe in China but not in the west. Leaders of the US, France, Belgium, Norway and Ireland have so far said as such. It is a once only thing, the horrific economic effects (which in turn has horrible health knock on effects) of lockdowns mean as such.
They will happen, as needed, along with other measures. The only thing that makes the difference between moving on with our lives and not going back to outbreaks and lockdowns is reasonable distancing and mask wearing. That's it. It is the equivalent of a vaccine, until a vaccine is available. A modest sacrifice to get life back to normal.
nk15 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:19 pm
  #828  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by nk15
They will happen, as needed, along with other measures. The only thing that makes the difference between moving on with our lives and not going back to outbreaks and lockdowns is reasonable distancing and mask wearing. That's it. It is the equivalent of a vaccine, until a vaccine is available. A modest sacrifice to get life back to normal.
Manadatory mask wearing may however lockdowns at least in Europe will not happen again. I disagree with you there. I suggest you refer to what Mr Macron has said in recent days for your information.

Coronavirus is now taking a backseat to the disastrous economic and health consequences the lockdowns and restrictions have so far had. As exbayern rightly pointed out, cancer patients etc have been thrown under the bus from this reaction. I actually think lockdowns are pretty irresponsible if anything.
the810, The_Bouncer and ahmetdouas like this.
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:13 pm
  #829  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 12,286
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Manadatory mask wearing may however lockdowns at least in Europe will not happen again. I disagree with you there. I suggest you refer to what Mr Macron has said in recent days for your information.

Coronavirus is now taking a backseat to the disastrous economic and health consequences the lockdowns and restrictions have so far had. As exbayern rightly pointed out, cancer patients etc have been thrown under the bus from this reaction. I actually think lockdowns are pretty irresponsible if anything.
Well, if there is another outbreak and countries start closing borders we will see about that. The whole point is that all the anti-mask and super relaxed attitude will ruin it for everybody.
renila and fransknorge like this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:27 pm
  #830  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Paris
Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 574
https://www.gov.sg/article/updates-t...ring-singapore

Singapore still getting crazier about travel restrictions. I hope that we will be able to travel there before 2021 but it seems very incertain.

I think that if infection rates are getting lower and lower, we europeans may benefit from bilateral agreements with Canada, Middle-East/North Africa, and soon with the US, but APAC nations will be out of reach until September at best I think.
yvrcnx likes this.
IstKong is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:32 pm
  #831  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by IstKong
https://www.gov.sg/article/updates-t...ring-singapore

Singapore still getting crazier about travel restrictions. I hope that we will be able to travel there before 2021 but it seems very incertain.

I think that if infection rates are getting lower and lower, we europeans may benefit from bilateral agreements with Canada, Middle-East/North Africa, and soon with the US, but APAC nations will be out of reach until September at best I think.
With their ridiculous attitudes probably 2021 at this rate.
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:32 pm
  #832  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ABZ/NCL
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by nk15
Well, if there is another outbreak and countries start closing borders we will see about that. The whole point is that all the anti-mask and super relaxed attitude will ruin it for everybody.
Well I am unaware of this anti mask and super relaxed mob in the UK at least. Where are you referring to? I have not come across this.
flyingcrazy is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:34 pm
  #833  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,478
Originally Posted by IstKong
https://www.gov.sg/article/updates-t...ring-singapore

Singapore still getting crazier about travel restrictions. I hope that we will be able to travel there before 2021 but it seems very incertain.

I think that if infection rates are getting lower and lower, we europeans may benefit from bilateral agreements with Canada, Middle-East/North Africa, and soon with the US, but APAC nations will be out of reach until September at best I think.
I originally thought that APAC nations will be some of the first to allow for Europeans to come back but it looks more and more like that is not going to happen until much later this year, if at all.
Strangely these countries are opening up to China which "seems" to have low cases but I don't trust their numbers at this point.

I am quite happy to be able to travel to and within Europe and the Middle East, that was my plan in March & April, hoping now we can do it October or November.
I am still holding out hope for Japan but only time will tell as well as the results of the openings happening in Europe right now.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:25 pm
  #834  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 12,286
The random tests Greece is conducting, at least for now, pertain to whole flights, not passengers within flights. Today they picked and tested 11 flights out of 25 inbound (about 1600 passengers tested), most from "red" airports (3 flights from AMS, 1 CDG, 1 DOH, 1 FCO, 1 BRU, 1 BEG, 1 SOF, 1 MIL, 1 TIR). Yesterday they caught 2 positives, one from FRA and one from CDG.
MSPeconomist likes this.
nk15 is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:52 pm
  #835  
gei
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by nk15
If everyone could follow this, the pandemic will over everywhere and we can keep going almost as usual. But enter the anti-maskers, and we will be back to outbreaks and lockdowns.
As other posters have said, there will be no further lockdowns. Societies simply would not tolerate it, and even if they would, we wouldn't be able to recover from the economic damage. I think in the coming months we'll get a better understanding of the destruction we have done to world economies - and to societies as a whole - and there will be absolutely no appetite to go through this again.
gei is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:25 am
  #836  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 4,199
Originally Posted by nk15
Well, if there is another outbreak and countries start closing borders we will see about that. The whole point is that all the anti-mask and super relaxed attitude will ruin it for everybody.
I've been to Czechia and Hungary several times recently (within last three weeks). While masks are required in some circumstances, they are not worn by anyone in places where they're not and that includes packed bars, or recreational areas. People are socialising without masks, there is a "super relaxed attitude" and yet there's no surge in cases - even after several weeks. Nothing is being ruined for anyone. We're pretty much back to the old normal.

​​​​​
LETTERBOY and The_Bouncer like this.
the810 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:30 am
  #837  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Programs: Various
Posts: 3,397
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I am glad to see some rationality and sense of proportion returning to these boards, at least on the Europe threads.

At least in the developed world, we have become so tunnel visioned about Covid-19, that literally everything else has been forgotten.

Now, in Europe at least, people are realising that we cannot simply stop the world from turning. People need to work, countries need to function and life needs to go on. ​​​​

The problem that Australia and NZ have is that they have painted themselves into a corner. They are effectively isolated from the rest of the world. As soon as they open their borders, this virus is going to get in.

They can't stop their own people from travelling indefinitely, and they can't carry on banging people up in hotels for years. So eventually they are going to end up having to live with it.

Europe is waking up to this and I, for one, am glad.
This is exactly what lots of people have been saying in Sweden since the beginning.
yvrcnx, the810, yerffej201 and 2 others like this.
Fredrik74 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:34 am
  #838  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bregenz, Austria
Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
This is exactly what lots of people have been saying in Sweden since the beginning.
This is exactly what I have been saying since the beginning.
yvrcnx, the810 and FlitBen like this.
The_Bouncer is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:35 am
  #839  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 4,199
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
This is exactly what lots of people have been saying in Sweden since the beginning.
Despite the constant negative media covfefe coverage about Sweden, most European countries are now moving towards the Swedish model. That says a lot.
LETTERBOY, The_Bouncer and FlitBen like this.
the810 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:40 am
  #840  
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhineland-Palatinate
Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Posts: 5,808
Re-opening means also trial and error and discovering something that they re-open should actually be closed. This means again tightening the rules (either locally or globally, depending) to get things under control again. The virus has not disappeared, it is still here and some places are starting to discover this.
Israel of course will continue closing its border, they now have a second wave. I am not sure what triggers this, although I have an hypotheses: in May they had a heatwave and removed the mask requirement.


Macron can say whatever he wants but the Grand Est, which border Germany and Luxembourg is seeing an increase of cases that does not want to get down. Either due to relaxed people or the re-opening of something.

.
And do not even get started on the US, which based on their own rules, should now have re-lockdown 27 states:


We do not have any prophylactic treatment yet nor something that decrease the odds of getting into ICU. We are just starting to discover that recovered people now needs some follow-up, some of them serious (lung transplants !) and in several european countries our care providers are burned out. If, and it is a big if, this thing is seasonal next fall will be really bad if the current attitude visible among some people became prevalent.
Getting back as close as possible to normal yes, but with prudence and ready to admit things might get worse again.
Sjoerd likes this.
fransknorge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.