Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
Judging by what happened in countries that introduced masks early on, it won't last long. Public support diminishes quickly. I suspect we'll see the rule withdrawn in September.

I was on a Prague to Berlin train today. Masks are compulsory but almost no one wore them while seated. The cultural norm, at least on the Czech side, seems to be that you wear mask while walking around the train but it's ok to pull it off while seated (although rules don't allow it). Generally speaking, no one gives a damn - when I was disembarking, I stood by the exit with conductor and one passenger who didn't have a mask and the conductor didn't say anything. On local trains I even experienced conductors who had their own mask pulled down. I suspect it's only matter of days or weeks until they get rid of the rule.

(In case you're wondering, I cheated the rule by spending my ride in a dining car, eating dinner and slowly sipping my beer ).
May I just say that I am incredibly jealous of you right now getting to enjoy a beer and a meal and visiting two of my favourite cities! I am currently in foggy, rainy Aberdeen where everything apart from coop is shut.

I think these restrictions will rapidly die a death. Even some of the most extreme hypochondriacs I know are now getting fed up and miss restaurants and holidays.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
May I just say that I am incredibly jealous of you right now getting to enjoy a beer and a meal and visiting two of my favourite cities!
I'm afraid I didn't go all the way to Berlin but I do have Dresden slated for later this week

Even some of the most extreme hypochondriacs I know are now getting fed up and miss restaurants and holidays.
My mom went from stockpiling food and respirators in mid-March to planning a holiday in Italy in mid-May.
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
I'm afraid I didn't go all the way to Berlin but I do have Dresden slated for later this week

My mom went from stockpiling food and respirators in mid-March to planning a holiday in Italy in mid-May.
Enjoy Dresen! Brilliant city! Did a day trip there from Prague a few years back, amazing what they have done to the place.

Hahahahaha, yes now that is what I am talking about! Hope she has a brilliant time.
the810 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The EC has launched a new website to see the current rules:
Thanks. Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) they seem to have problems keeping up with the ever changing rules. For example, for travel from outside the EU to Germany they say:

”May I enter this country without being subject to a mandatory quarantine?
YES, WITH LIMITATIONFrom: 13-05-2020People entering Germany from outside the EU are required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon entry. People travelling from EU countries and from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom are not subject to this requirement.

Last update: 05-06-2020“

That isn’t accurate for at least one state (NRW) where a court recently voided the quarantine requirement. And I think other states refer to the RKI assessment of the origin country to determine whether quarantine applies.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Now that people are being given a chance to experience normality again and realise how nice it is, it is going to be much much harder for countries to reimpose lockdowns/border closures. I just do not see it happening. As Ireland, France, the US and Belgium are now saying, once they reopen, thats them reopening for good, if the virus comes back then they will have to find other ways to deal with it.
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Lockdown was a bullet that governments could only fire once. It is not going to carry public support again.
Agreed. And I am glad that E. Macron has said that clearly for France. Outside Asia, nobody will accept what is happening there with those constant re-locking everytime a single case appears.

Rumour has it France wants to reopen to Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco etc. All great steps back to normality.
There is an urgent need to reopen FR to/from Maghreb. We have a huge population in France from those countries and many of them need to see their families urgently. Tunisia has already announced they reopen soon and I am sure it will be part of the 1st list of France on July 1st. I am sure France would like to have also Morocco and Algeria on this 1st list, but at the moment, there is not the slightest sign of opening from those 2 countries. I am sure there are intense diplomatic discussions behind the scene.

Yup I completely agree. By August, the world will be very normal indeed. The only thing that is quite the unknown is when the likes of the US, Canada, Australia, Singapore etc will open up, I am baffled as to how they have stayed shut so long. I hear rumours of 2021, but surely not?
APAC is really the area that is worrying me the most. Come on, how long are they going to be locked like this and playing the game of the one who will invent the craziest measures. It will cause a lot of problems for business and for important/urgent personal travels.
af fp, the810, flyingcrazy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Agreed. And I am glad that E. Macron has said that clearly for France. Outside Asia, nobody will accept what is happening there with those constant re-locking everytime a single case appears.

There is an urgent need to reopen FR to/from Maghreb. We have a huge population in France from those countries and many of them need to see their families urgently. Tunisia has already announced they reopen soon and I am sure it will be part of the 1st list of France on July 1st. I am sure France would like to have also Morocco and Algeria on this 1st list, but at the moment, there is not the slightest sign of opening from those 2 countries. I am sure there are intense diplomatic discussions behind the scene.

APAC is really the area that is worrying me the most. Come on, how long are they going to be locked like this and playing the game of the one who will invent the craziest measures. It will cause a lot of problems for business and for important/urgent personal travels.
Good insight, do you have any other indications as to what other non EU countries France many reopen too on July 1st? I think they have been the most vocal in their plan to reopen to non EU countries from then. I wonder if Canada is another priority nation due to Quebec? And of course people in Saint Pierre and Miquelon need to transit Canada to get to France.

APAC is crazy. I genuinely do not understand. I have colleagues in Singapore who have zero indication on when the borders will reopen, but suspect no time soon. Now Singapore is a trading island, it relies hugely on the outside world, what on earth is it doing? It risks reopening months from now and losing lots of significance as the rest of the world has moved on.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Good insight, do you have any other indications as to what other non EU countries France many reopen too on July 1st? I think they have been the most vocal in their plan to reopen to non EU countries from then. I wonder if Canada is another priority nation due to Quebec? And of course people in Saint Pierre and Miquelon need to transit Canada to get to France.
I have no specific information, but I have posted recently in the AF forum my « guessed list »
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32452476-post30.html
Canada is indeed a possibility. FYI, there is no restriction even today for French citizens flying to Canada and connecting in YUL to St Pierre & Miquelon on Air St Pierre. It is part of the exemptions.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:29 pm
Suspended

I have no specific information, but I have posted recently in the AF forum my « guessed list »
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32452476-post30.html
Canada is indeed a possibility. FYI, there is no restriction even today for French citizens flying to Canada and connecting in YUL to St Pierre & Miquelon on Air St Pierre. It is part of the exemptions.
Wow good post. I agree regards your points on Asia - it is a descent into madness.

Also interesting regards AF not including TLV. This is a surprise to me. I believe most airlines are including TLV (BA, Wizzair, Lufthansa, Swiss, even I think Virgin Atlantic). However I read yesterday that Israel intends to stay shut for foreign tourists until September which is also madness.

I am just amazed. I am incredibly grateful to live in Europe. Despite the UK having this stupid restriction, I am fairly confident it will be gone soon.
the810, The_Bouncer and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:35 pm

I actually think that Canada will be the issue longer than APAC. Although opening is a federal issue, in British Columbia the public health seems to think that she has the power to keep the border closed, and from what I read public sentiment supports keeping borders closed, even to other provinces. This with a death rate of about 30/million ie about 150 people. The message was 'no international travel until there is a vaccine'.

Lufthansa has now cancelled 476/477 for I believe the rest of the year ie MUC-YVR, and is only keeping FRA-YVR. As I noted earlier, there are usually at least 5 flights from DACH to YVR daily in summer, with high value tourists and business travellers. AC has already cancelled FRA-YVR for the year, and I fear LH will cancel FRA-YVR again for most of the rest of the summer. (Which is also a route for south Asians to travel back to their original homelands)

The amount of lost revenue is astounding from these decisions, and it seems that some regions ie Hawaii, NZ, Australia, and parts of Canada seem to have the ultimate goal of zero cases and stay shut for the indefinite future ie 'until a vaccine'. They will be real losers in this if they continue to focus on zero cases in the future vs a manageable and reasonable protocol.
the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
It kinda baffles me to see how many people are "done" with a pandemic. Everyone is, but it doesnt just go away if we decide we are done with it...
curt, GUWonder, renila and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Yreal
It kinda baffles me to see how many people are "done" with a pandemic. Everyone is, but it doesnt just go away if we decide we are done with it...
it’s not that, it’s just about living with it as normal as possible
BLV, exbayern, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by exbayern
They will be real losers in this if they continue to focus on zero cases in the future vs a manageable and reasonable protocol.
Exactly. In my opinion, the main element of what seems to be the European success is the focus on how to live with the virus (and keep it manageable), rather than attempting to eradicate it.

Lockdowns could have made sense in the beginning, when we needed to buy time to assess the situation and come with some kind of strategy. But it's definitely not a viable long-term solution for possibly decades until we have a vaccine/treatment.

​​​​​
exbayern and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:46 pm

I'm not 'done' but I am really frustrated that there is not a reasonable balance in many regions. I'm one who is really struggling with my own health issues due to cancer, and how the world has just pushed the rest of health issues aside to only focus on COVID. There has to be a reasonable response which balances the risks and considers OTHER risks in life. For example, in a place where there are 30x more cancer deaths daily than COVID deaths, but access to medical care remains almost completely shut off for non-COVID issues, that is not a reasonable balance at all.

As it becomes more clear that the current situation is not as dire as it could have been in regards to COVID, we need to find a way to recognise the importance of all people and all lives. I have permanent physical damage from this, and my mental health was of course also impacted as we with cancer were shoved aside during the last several months.

Imagine too those in the UK who were to be 'shielding' and were terminal. I think that initially there was some exception that if they had a doctor's note that they were going to die within six months anyway, they did not have to keep shielding. My plan is to travel as much and as long as I can, and I cannot imagine having to spend the last few months of my life 'shielding' at home because the world lost perspective.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
I actually think that Canada will be the issue longer than APAC. Although opening is a federal issue, in British Columbia the public health seems to think that she has the power to keep the border closed, and from what I read public sentiment supports keeping borders closed, even to other provinces. This with a death rate of about 30/million ie about 150 people. The message was 'no international travel until there is a vaccine'.

Lufthansa has now cancelled 476/477 for I believe the rest of the year ie MUC-YVR, and is only keeping FRA-YVR. As I noted earlier, there are usually at least 5 flights from DACH to YVR daily in summer, with high value tourists and business travellers. AC has already cancelled FRA-YVR for the year, and I fear LH will cancel FRA-YVR again for most of the rest of the summer. (Which is also a route for south Asians to travel back to their original homelands)

The amount of lost revenue is astounding from these decisions, and it seems that some regions ie Hawaii, NZ, Australia, and parts of Canada seem to have the ultimate goal of zero cases and stay shut for the indefinite future ie 'until a vaccine'. They will be real losers in this if they continue to focus on zero cases in the future vs a manageable and reasonable protocol.

Well then shes insane as BC is probably the most tourism dependent province in Canada.

Another thing this virus crises has shown, is how power mad some leaders are. Real shame.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:51 pm
Suspended

It baffles me how places want to destroy everything else in order to weather this pandemic. Is poverty not a killer too?

In my view what is the point of desperately trying to survive if life is miserable, hiding and being fearful of everything.
yvrcnx, exbayern and the810 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.