Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
In Scotland however , it is still very restrictive with all non essential shops etc still closed.

Regards

TBS
Yes its funny and a complete mess, because technically the UK is one nation, but with 4 different countries if that makes sense (it doesn't to me!) running things differently mainly for political reasons; at least there is no checkpoint charlie between the 'borders'.

By the way, regarding facemasks I believe Lufthansa is keeping the rule in force until end August, by which time it will review it. Personally I am not going to wear a mask, but use a pullover of mine as a scarf and tie it around my face. I actually have allergic asthma and carry an inhaler with me when travelling, but even if I tell people that I probably would get hassled for not wearing one, so again will stick with a scarf.
the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Yup I completely agree. By August, the world will be very normal indeed. The only thing that is quite the unknown is when the likes of the US, Canada, Australia, Singapore etc will open up, I am baffled as to how they have stayed shut so long. I hear rumours of 2021, but surely not?

I do not know of any carrier not mandating masks. I do wonder how long that will last too.
Do you mean in relation to foreigners entering or the internal situation? America has reopened weeks ago.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes its funny and a complete mess, because technically the UK is one nation, but with 4 different countries if that makes sense (it doesn't to me!) running things differently mainly for political reasons; at least there is no checkpoint charlie between the 'borders'.

By the way, regarding facemasks I believe Lufthansa is keeping the rule in force until end August, by which time it will review it. Personally I am not going to wear a mask, but use a pullover of mine as a scarf and tie it around my face. I actually have allergic asthma and carry an inhaler with me when travelling, but even if I tell people that I probably would get hassled for not wearing one, so again will stick with a scarf.
Well it’s just like America where each area has it’s lockdown. That’s not hard to understand.

I think Scotland is probably going along a strict line to minimise the affect of infiltrating cases from a England.
renila likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Owenc
Do you mean in relation to foreigners entering or the internal situation? America has reopened weeks ago.
To foreigners which the US is shut to for those from Europe. For Australia currently you can enter if you get granted a special visa (seafarers, medical experts etc) and then have to quarantine for 14 days at an airport hotel funded by the OZ Gov.

However wondering when the likes of US, Canada, Oz will reopen normally to foreigners. Would they really shut till 2021? Find that incredibly extreme.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Well it’s just like America where each area has it’s lockdown. That’s not hard to understand.

I think Scotland is probably going along a strict line to minimise the affect of infiltrating cases from a England.
Not wanting to get too political, but Scotland also likes to make a point of being different to England all the time. That may be some the motivation. Also she was on the way out according to rumours up here, so a lockdown was a great distraction.

I agree with another poster, that having 1 country 4 systems is very frustrating and inefficient. However I suppose the US is 1 country, 50 systems!
Owenc and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:52 am
Aman Contributor Badge

To foreigners which the US is shut to for those from Europe. For Australia currently you can enter if you get granted a special visa (seafarers, medical experts etc) and then have to quarantine for 14 days at an airport hotel funded by the OZ Gov.

However wondering when the likes of US, Canada, Oz will reopen normally to foreigners. Would they really shut till 2021? Find that incredibly extreme.
Its an ever evolving situation so there are a multitude of variables (including political ones) that will drive when reopening borders happens.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:05 am

I find it extreme too.. given the US case rate. I have read that Dr Fauci has said that they may wait until there is a vaccine.

Unbelievable given that we might never have a vaccine.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:07 am

Not wanting to get too political, but Scotland also likes to make a point of being different to England all the time. That may be some the motivation. Also she was on the way out according to rumours up here, so a lockdown was a great distraction.

I agree with another poster, that having 1 country 4 systems is very frustrating and inefficient. However I suppose the US is 1 country, 50 systems!
ROI does this too.

I agree with you, but this might be a good solution for now. Regions remaining closed because England has a high case rate is unnecessary.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:07 am
Suspended

I find it extreme too.. given the US case rate. I have read that Dr Fauci has said that they may wait until there is a vaccine.

Unbelievable given that we might never have a vaccine.
I think the over cautious medical experts whose only objective is to eradicate covid19 such as Dr Fauci may support such a plan, however I believe reality will kick in first. My guess would be the US reopens to Europeans at least anytime from now to September.
BLV, the810, Owenc and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:10 am
Suspended

ROI does this too.

I agree with you, but this might be a good solution for now. Regions remaining closed because England has a high case rate is unnecessary.
The sad reality for places like Scotland is if they continue going down such anti-business paths for the sake of being different, the gap between them and England will just grow further. Same for the Irish Republic.

Plus some regions of England have higher rates than ever, if they want to play that game why not exempt Gloucestershire then (which has almost no cases now) but not Tyneside? It just starts to get ridiculous.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:16 am

I think the over cautious medical experts whose only objective is to eradicate covid19 such as Dr Fauci may support such a plan, however I believe reality will kick in first. My guess would be the US reopens to Europeans at least anytime from now to September.
I have no idea. Maybe the Trump administration wants to limit european tourism.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:19 am
Suspended

I have no idea. Maybe the Trump administration wants to limit european tourism.
This was a knee jerk reaction when Europe was the epicentre. Now it going away, and as tourist dependent states reopen, the pressure will pile up! Florida is a very important state in US elections, and they have millions of Europeans going there every year, he may want to remind himself of this.

I do not have any trips planned to the US, however if I had one booked for the October break I would be fairly confident it will go ahead.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I think that's a fair assessment of the public health officials' tendencies in general. The recent article with Fauci was really just his opinion and there are others advising the Administration, of course. Not to mention other considerations such as tourism and other industries. A week or so ago the President was asked about lifting the European restrictions and indicated some would be reassessed "soon". I really wish the White House would give an update on the current thinking at least. Or better yet just get on with reopening for Europeans at least. My guess would be within the next few weeks but no later than the end of July.
the810 and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Yup I completely agree. By August, the world will be very normal indeed. The only thing that is quite the unknown is when the likes of the US, Canada, Australia, Singapore etc will open up, I am baffled as to how they have stayed shut so long. I hear rumours of 2021, but surely not?

I do not know of any carrier not mandating masks. I do wonder how long that will last too.
Judging by what happened in countries that introduced masks early on, it won't last long. Public support diminishes quickly. I suspect we'll see the rule withdrawn in September.

I was on a Prague to Berlin train today. Masks are compulsory but almost no one wore them while seated. The cultural norm, at least on the Czech side, seems to be that you wear mask while walking around the train but it's ok to pull it off while seated (although rules don't allow it). Generally speaking, no one gives a damn - when I was disembarking, I stood by the exit with conductor and one passenger who didn't have a mask and the conductor didn't say anything. On local trains I even experienced conductors who had their own mask pulled down. I suspect it's only matter of days or weeks until they get rid of the rule.

(In case you're wondering, I cheated the rule by spending my ride in a dining car, eating dinner and slowly sipping my beer ).
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I think that's a fair assessment of the public health officials' tendencies in general. The recent article with Fauci was really just his opinion and there are others advising the Administration, of course. Not to mention other considerations such as tourism and other industries. A week or so ago the President was asked about lifting the European restrictions and indicated some would be reassessed "soon". I really wish the White House would give an update on the current thinking at least. Or better yet just get on with reopening for Europeans at least. My guess would be within the next few weeks but no later than the end of July.
Good assessment and one I agree with. I think it is just a case now on waiting for the tweet from Mr Trump one evening of 'Border with Europe now open'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.