Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The EC has launched a new website to see the current rules:

It is clear that the 15th June is not what people are dreaming of and are talking about like "Liberation Day". Most countries have some form of restrictions, only a few are green:
I guess the non-Eu, EU divide is huge, but in terms of central European travel, e.g. between Switzerland, France, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, it certainly feels like liberation compared to the extremely strict measures before. It is great to see pics of airports starting to get busy again and airlines re-activating their fleets.

Having some measures is fine and understandable, versus literally not even being able to go just yesterday!

Also that map is hilariously inaccurate; Ireland has no measures? They are the strictest one, 14 day quarantine for everyone!
adrianlondon and flyingcrazy like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
This map is showing quarantine measures. Ireland has no mandatory quarantine, only a voluntary 14-day self-isolation.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:40 am

Apparently Malta goes back to normal (for all EU etc at least) on 15 July.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
This map is showing quarantine measures. Ireland has no mandatory quarantine, only a voluntary 14-day self-isolation.
It's mandatory UK style . 'You need to self isolate'

​​​​​​https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coron...n-after-travel

Although they should lift that soon as most of the EU is opening up without quarantine and they are looking like an outlier.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:41 am

I left the country this morning! First time in almost three months.

I cycled over the Swiss border to France and shopped in the nearby French hypermarket. So exciting! Later in the week I'll go to Germany. However, it'll all feel more "normal" once I can fly to London and not have to (pretend to) quarantine while there. I'm also going to wait until the pubs, cafes and restaurants re-open.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Jun 15, 2020 at 8:00 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by adrianlondon

I cycled over the Swiss border to France and shopped (mainly for fish and cakes) in the nearby French hypermarket. So exciting! Later in the week I'll go to Germany. However, it'll all feel more "normal" once I can fly to London and not have to (pretend do) quarantine while there. I'm also going to wait until the pubs, cafes and restaurants re-open.
Hopefully early July all that won't be a problem anymore, pubs or quarantine!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by adrianlondon

I cycled over the Swiss border to France and shopped (mainly for fish and cakes) in the nearby French hypermarket. So exciting! Later in the week I'll go to Germany. However, it'll all feel more "normal" once I can fly to London and not have to (pretend do) quarantine while there. I'm also going to wait until the pubs, cafes and restaurants re-open.
I crossed over from Austria to Switzerland in the car today. Definitely much more of a feeling of normality now.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:09 am
Suspended

Now that people are being given a chance to experience normality again and realise how nice it is, it is going to be much much harder for countries to reimpose lockdowns/border closures. I just do not see it happening. As Ireland, France, the US and Belgium are now saying, once they reopen, thats them reopening for good, if the virus comes back then they will have to find other ways to deal with it.

Today is a monumental step in the right direction, and for UK arrivals/citizens we are now welcome in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia and Poland from today (to add to Sweden, Netherlands, Italy and Portugal). That is massive.

1st July should be the next grand reopening! I hope the rest of the EU/EEA opens up to us, and also it is the day individual EU states are encouraged to start allowing in non EU citizens. Rumour has it France wants to reopen to Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco etc. All great steps back to normality.

News reports are suggesting some announcement on the UK nonsense will be made around June 25th/26th. Rishi Sunak who is a known opponent of the measure, also made comments yesterday that changes were being discussed. Obvious one is an EU/EEA wide exemption.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Now that people are being given a chance to experience normality again and realise how nice it is, it is going to be much much harder for countries to reimpose lockdowns/border closures. I just do not see it happening. As Ireland, France, the US and Belgium are now saying, once they reopen, thats them reopening for good, if the virus comes back then they will have to find other ways to deal with it.

Today is a monumental step in the right direction, and for UK arrivals/citizens we are now welcome in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Croatia and Poland from today (to add to Sweden, Netherlands, Italy and Portugal). That is massive.

1st July should be the next grand reopening! I hope the rest of the EU/EEA opens up to us, and also it is the day individual EU states are encouraged to start allowing in non EU citizens. Rumour has it France wants to reopen to Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco etc. All great steps back to normality.

News reports are suggesting some announcement on the UK nonsense will be made around June 25th/26th. Rishi Sunak who is a known opponent of the measure, also made comments yesterday that changes were being discussed. Obvious one is an EU/EEA wide exemption.
In the UK all that is left is hospitality and quarantine, otherwise back to normal!
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
In the UK all that is left is hospitality and quarantine, otherwise back to normal!
Yup I strongly hope and pray that quarantine is all but gone June 29th, and on July 4th the hospitality sector is allowed to reopen. Not long! Exciting stuff. Felt a world away this time last month.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy

Lockdown was a bullet that governments could only fire once. It is not going to carry public support again.

Normality in daily life is now pretty much back in much of Europe. From a travel perspective, much of normality has been restored and I am confident that the rest is on the way. Pretty soon, the only vestige of abnormality is going to be masks on planes.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any European carrier which does not require masks to be worn?
flyingcrazy and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas

In Scotland however , it is still very restrictive with all non essential shops etc still closed.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:44 am

Shops have reopened in Northern Ireland, with cafe’s and hotels reopening on 3rd July.
flyingcrazy and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Lockdown was a bullet that governments could only fire once. It is not going to carry public support again.

Normality in daily life is now pretty much back in much of Europe. From a travel perspective, much of normality has been restored and I am confident that the rest is on the way. Pretty soon, the only vestige of abnormality is going to be masks on planes.

Incidentally, does anyone know of any European carrier which does not require masks to be worn?
Yup I completely agree. By August, the world will be very normal indeed. The only thing that is quite the unknown is when the likes of the US, Canada, Australia, Singapore etc will open up, I am baffled as to how they have stayed shut so long. I hear rumours of 2021, but surely not?

I do not know of any carrier not mandating masks. I do wonder how long that will last too.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
In Scotland however , it is still very restrictive with all non essential shops etc still closed.

Regards

TBS
I am fortunate in that I have an address on both sides of the border. I know where I shall be basing myself come July 4th!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.