Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Has anyone been crossing the border into the Czech Republic recently and seen what the random checks are like, frequency etc?
They are very rare at all land borders, except with Poland. On trains they are basically non-existent. Where the check is being performed, it usually is a very quick ID check - essentially just a glance at your ID card or passport, verifying that it is issued by a country whose citizens are allowed entry. It may be a bit more complicated for people who enter based on their residency, rather than citizenship and don't have a residency document (entry is possible with supporting documents proving the actual residency, but this may take time to verify).
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by 8420PR
As a data-point for anyone interested, I traveled from Germany to Austria on Wednesday with no checks whatsoever. The only evidence of the border was a sign and some new portacabins, but nobody was there at all and if you didn't see the sign you wouldn't realize you were in Austria.

Austria seems similar to Germany - if you visit a bar or restaurant, the people serving are wearing masks but apart from that it is mostly as normal (and some bars got very busy). Dance clubs are still closed.

I hope the covid-19 prevalence stays low, so more things can go back to normal, but am fully supportive of the measures taken so far.

This year, holidays in exotic locations have been replaced by holidays closer to home, and I'm trying to calculate what level of risk I would accept in opening up borders. If I invite someone living in Germany into my home, there is a one in 17,000* chance they have COVID-19. If I invite someone living in the USA into my home the chances rise to one in 1,000*. Statistically for every four airplanes landing from USA in Europe there will be one COVID positive case imported. It's a tough decision.

* Data source: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geogra...019-ncov-cases
I cross the DE-AT border every day for work. I use a small local crossing, not on a motorway. The German side has been unmanned for about a week, the Austrian side for the last few days. Every day, I see German registered cars parked outside the small tobacco shop about 200m inside Austria (tobacco duty is lower in Austria). Technically this is not allowed until tomorrow.

​​​​​Austria generally is noticeably more relaxed, certainly than Bavaria. I can't speak for other parts of Germany.

For example, the mask law is enforced rigidly in railway station premises in Bavaria, but literally nobody in my home town in Austria wears a mask to walk through the station or on the platform.

The mask law in retail premises, restaurants, bars and cafés is being dropped in Austria from tomorrow, but is remaining in (I think) all of Germany.

Social distancing in Austria is 1m (almost universally ignored and never enforced), whereas in Bavaria the 1.5m rule is still enforced.

I believe Switzerland is also pretty relaxed. I will be able to report first hand on Tuesday.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Poland is still confusing. It has said it is reopening to all EU member states completely on June 16th, however no indication as to the UK, Switzerland or Norway.
Full EU+Schengen+UK reopening from Poland.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Macron just announced that restaurant will (finally) be able to fully open tomorrow.
He also confirmed that intra-european borders will be open.

Then he said that from the 1st of July, we will be able to travel outside Europe. It may mean that bilateral agreements are in good discussion. I don't know if the US are concerned, but I suppose that Canada, some Asia-Pacific countries, and some GCC countries will be allowed...

Last edited by IstKong; Jun 14, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by the810
They are very rare at all land borders, except with Poland. On trains they are basically non-existent. Where the check is being performed, it usually is a very quick ID check - essentially just a glance at your ID card or passport, verifying that it is issued by a country whose citizens are allowed entry. It may be a bit more complicated for people who enter based on their residency, rather than citizenship and don't have a residency document (entry is possible with supporting documents proving the actual residency, but this may take time to verify).
Thanks. Are the road border checks when they do happen more likely at certain times? Are they right at the border, or can they be further away? Are certain routes more likely than others? Thinking from DE.

Does the train checks comment apply to the current situation just now? Just about every EU country is under the green list for CZ now, so there's hardly anyone left to 'catch out' on the land border, whether by car or train. (How does a train check work anyway - at the border someone comes on, or is it before you board in DE so they can deny you boarding or something?)

The tricky bit about residency is they say temp residency is allowed, what classifies as that anyway? After one month in Germany you are surely a temporary resident as an EU citizen, but as an EU citizen, you don't need to get any documentation until after 3 months. And one page on the CZ website says citizens of orange countries are fine to enter whereas another CZ website says they are not, so it isn't even clear cut. And one page even said you can enter if you "come from" a green country, ie implying almost that you are just there, you'd be fine to enter. On this page https://koronavirus.mzcr.cz/en/ the main covid page, it says:From 15 June, EU citizens returning from countries with a low to moderate risk of coronavirus contagion can travel to the Czech Republic without a test. // low to moderate, ie green to orange!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by IstKong
Macron just announced that restaurant will (finally) be able to fully open tomorrow.
He also confirmed that european borders would be open.

Then he said that from the 1st of July, we will be able to travel outside Europe. It may mean that bilateral agreements are in good discussion. I don't know if the US are concerned, but I suppose that Canada, some Asia-Pacific countries, and some GCC countries will be allowed...
Yes essentially France is back to normal!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:28 pm

I'm still not sure if Spain is allowing UK in or not after 21st June, all the Spanish papers say EU only which many are interpreting to say excludes the UK.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paulaf
I'm still not sure if Spain is allowing UK in or not after 21st June, all the Spanish papers say EU only which many are interpreting to say excludes the UK.
Yup, like with Greece I am quite confused.

Poland too, however another poster has said Poland did mean UK aswell when it announced it has reopened.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Full EU+Schengen+UK reopening from Poland.
Thanks - is this confirmed then?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thanks. Are the road border checks when they do happen more likely at certain times? Are they right at the border, or can they be further away? Are certain routes more likely than others? Thinking from DE.
There may be some key the police uses to determine where to check, but I have no idea what it is. When I encountered spot checks, they were directly at the border or wherever the abandonded border facility from pre-Schengen times was, e.g. coming from Slovakia using D2 highway, it was maybe 5 km into Czechia (but before the first exit in CZ, so essentialy anyone who arrived there arrived from abroad). I don't think there is any kind of internal checks.

Does the train checks comment apply to the current situation just now? Just about every EU country is under the green list for CZ now, so there's hardly anyone left to 'catch out' on the land border, whether by car or train. (How does a train check work anyway - at the border someone comes on, or is it before you board in DE so they can deny you boarding or something?)
It applies since train services were resumed (I think it was two or three weeks ago). I never head of any check actually being performed on a train. Such check would be done on the train on Czech territory (maybe in the border section between Bad Schandau and Decin). Pre-check in Germany would not work for variety of reasons (I can hardly imagine Czech police in Berlin preventing people from boarding a train towards Dresden).

The tricky bit about residency is they say temp residency is allowed, what classifies as that anyway? After one month in Germany you are surely a temporary resident as an EU citizen, but as an EU citizen, you don't need to get any documentation until after 3 months.
Under current rules (which expire today), residency could be proven either by a formal residency document or by two supporting documents proving some links to the country, such as EHIC, lease agreement, job contract, etc. I have no idea whether this also applies from tomorrow.

And one page on the CZ website says citizens of orange countries are fine to enter whereas another CZ website says they are not, so it isn't even clear cut. And one page even said you can enter if you "come from" a green country, ie implying almost that you are just there, you'd be fine to enter. On this page https://koronavirus.mzcr.cz/en/ the main covid page, it says:From 15 June, EU citizens returning from countries with a low to moderate risk of coronavirus contagion can travel to the Czech Republic without a test. // low to moderate, ie green to orange!
The whole thing is super-confusing and unfortunatelly reading the legal document raises even more questions than it answers. However, one thing is relatively clear to me and that is that only residents of green countries will be admitted to Czechia. The document does not list any exception for residents of orange countries.

In any case, I would not recommend trying to sneak into the country, it can have all kinds of bad consequences and you don't want to be put into Schengen Information System as persona nongrata by a member state, especially on the basis of illegal border crossing. This could significantly complicate your future travels into the EU. If you really want to visit Czechia, I recommend that you get tested and then you can enter without any problems.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:21 pm

Although they've improved over the years, I'm still looking forward to being able to shop in France and Germany from tomorrow rather than being constrained to Swiss supermarkets.

In reality, as I cycle and many little border crossings are un-manned, I could have shopped abroad over the last few weeks anyway but I decided to be law-abiding. The threat (and highly publicised cases) of the Swiss fining me for crossing the border for shopping helped focus my mind
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:26 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Although they've improved over the years, I'm still looking forward to being able to shop in France and Germany from tomorrow rather than being constrained to Swiss supermarkets.

In reality, as I cycle and many little border crossings are un-manned, I could have shopped abroad over the last few weeks anyway but I decided to be law-abiding. The threat (and highly publicised cases) of the Swiss fining me for crossing the border for shopping helped focus my mind
What's wrong with the Migros chain?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by exp
What's wrong with the Migros chain?
Aren't Swiss supermarkets crazy expensive compared to Germany and France?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Aren't Swiss supermarkets crazy expensive compared to Germany and France?
Isnt everything in Switzerland mega expensive? That said apparently a pint of beer in Switzerland is around 6 quid in a bar, which I suppose is cheaper than Norway!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Slovenia is also doing this. I can't say I like the system because as mentioned, countries go from green to red, red to green, so it's not exactly great for planning...you book a flight today when you are green, next month when you go it's red and you can't get in...

The FCO website says Montenegro looks at the cases at your departure country rather than residency county though (which is how pretty much everyone else does it, residency), meaning that if you fly to Dubrovnik and drive across, you should be fine as they'd be looking at Croatia's case numbers and they are super low.
That is a huge loophole! Solution is to fly to Croatia or Albania and cross from there!

Seen some of your posts regards Scotland and its low rate, I agree. However I think for countries to exempt Scotland but not the rest of the UK is as similarly unworkable as Czechia exempting all of Poland bar 1 province. How on earth does a country police this? It is almost like they expect their border forces to be mind reading magicians or something with all these silly rules, restrictions etc. Best thing to do is just exempt everyone and have increased health checks on arrival! Good old Turkey and Serbia leading the way on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.