Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
the EU indicated they would open external borders July 1, so why be pessimistic?
Many member states are likely to restrict internal movement well past July. As mentioned up thread, Denmark, Malta, and Norway are just some of the EU countries who have already said restrictions within the EU will continue past 01 July. Many in the Eastern countries are the same.

I don't think an external border reopening would go ahead without unanimous decision, and I don't think we are there yet.

If external borders do reopen, I imagine it'll be to a select few safe countries only.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:33 am

the EU indicated they would open external borders July 1, so why be pessimistic?
Why would the EU open borders to the United States, their infections are still growing at a rapid rate and the President of your country is, it would seem in no rush to open the borders to us.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Owenc
Why would the EU open borders to the United States, their infections are still growing at a rapid rate and the President of your country is, it would seem in no rush to open the borders to us.
[Mod edit] there are comments from a French minister indicating they are going to open external borders on July 1, and I am trying to fly TO France, so aside from your opinion what basis is there for pessimism? Additionally US citizen can enter Greece from June 15, and it looks like intra-Schengen border controls are being done away with from the 15th, so...
BLV, exbayern, 84fiero and 1 others like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2020 at 4:38 pm Reason: Address the issue, not the poster
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:54 am

Non EU can only enter Greece (or Iceland, or anywhere else) if the external ban is done away on 15 June. By this time next week, I'm sure we'll know the answer.

And only some internal borders are going.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:57 am

I don't have any negative opinions about America, I have negative views towards their approach towards tackling the virus. I have a right to express those views and I have a right to want to protect my country.

The Lockdown has been very difficult for me to deal with, particularly in relation to my mental health. We have been in lockdown since March, we are releasing it very slowly - our polticans have told us that they WILL go back into Lockdown if cases rise again.

I DO NOT want to go back into Lockdown because the borders have been reopened to America. I do not want your cases exported here, to undo all the hard work that we have put in. [Unduly personalized content edited by Moderator.]

It is only fair and rational for me to want to protect the health of my citizens and to WANT to stop another peak on the curve.

Also, Donald Trump is not opening America to Europe anytime soon, so I do not want to open our borders to your country, for that reason.

You are not European, you don't have a god given right to come here.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 6, 2020 at 2:40 pm Reason: See above, per FT Rule 12.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I don't have any negative opinions about America, I have negative views towards their approach towards tackling the virus. I have a right to express those views and I have a right to want to protect my country.

The Lockdown has been very difficult for me to deal with, particularly in relation to my mental health. We have been in lockdown since March, we are releasing it very slowly - our poltiicans have told us that they WILL go back into Lockdown if cases rise again.

I DO NOT want to go back into Lockdown because the borders have been reopened to America. I do not want your cases exported here, to undo all thge hard work that we have put in. [Conforming Moderator edit to original quote.]

Also, Donald Trump is not opening America to Europe anytime soon, so I do not want to open our borders to your country, for that reason.

Well not to nitpick but if you're in Northern Ireland, then you're in the UK, not the EU so you don't really have a dog in this fight. You also seem to have a distorted view of the situation here. Last week NY had our first day with 0 COVID deaths since Mar 12th. Suggesting it is spiking and out of control simply isn't correct. We are on the back side of the curve. I own property in the EU and I consider that a valid enough reason to want to enter and check up on it. Granted, I should have gone through the hassle of getting my papers so I would be allowed entry all the time, but I didn't foresee this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 6, 2020 at 2:43 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:01 am

Yes, I do have a dog in this fight. The UK is following the EU rules during the Transition period, a growth in cases in Continental Europe will come here. We got our cases from Italy.

I know the Northeast/Michigan and California have done a good job, in tackling the virus, but the rest of America hasn't. The only way for flights to reopen to American citizens, is to test every passenger before they get on the plane and when they get off.

If they have the virus, boarding denied or sent back immediately, if testing positive on arrival.

This will work to limit any increase in virus in Europe and around the rest of the world. Countries should now be aiming to reduce community spread through air travel.

Last edited by Owenc; Jun 6, 2020 at 8:12 am
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Non EU can only enter Greece (or Iceland, or anywhere else) if the external ban is done away on 15 June. By this time next week, I'm sure we'll know the answer.

And only some internal borders are going.
The ban on everybody non-EU, EEA + UK was extended until July 1.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:33 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
So theoretically it looks like my JFK-CDG flight on July 6, will be OK?
Nobody knows. Macron can say what he wants, those things need a consensus at EU level and for the time being, there is none. Wait till the 15th June at earliest to have a clue.
Oh and I also would like the border of EU and EEA to stay closed to the US for the summer at minimum.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There is no certitude at all on this date yet, even if I hope also it will happen

Many member states are likely to restrict internal movement well past July. As mentioned up thread, Denmark, Malta, and Norway are just some of the EU countries who have already said restrictions within the EU will continue past 01 July. Many in the Eastern countries are the same.

I don't think an external border reopening would go ahead without unanimous decision, and I don't think we are there yet.

If external borders do reopen, I imagine it'll be to a select few safe countries only.
agreed. There will be a lot of pressure to reopen on July 1st to some countries. US/CAN are for sure part of the priorities. In France, there will be also intense pressure to have flights to Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia. It will be a huge problem if those countries do not reopen quickly.

Non EU can only enter Greece (or Iceland, or anywhere else) if the external ban is done away on 15 June. By this time next week, I'm sure we'll know the answer..
Yes, Greece can announce whatever they want about welcoming non-European vacationers, it won’t happen if the « Schengen council » (don’t know the exact name) do not decide to reopen external Schengen borders
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:36 am
Suspended

I thought the EU external borders ban was advisory and it is actually up to the individual member what they do? For example it seems for economic reasons Portugal from June 2nd is allowing in nationals of US, Brazil and Angola. Greece from June 15th is allowing in nationals I believe of Israel, Australia and New Zealand.

I suspect the July 1st date will be the EU guidance date on reopening borders to non EU/UK/EEA nationals. My suspicion is France and Germany will reopen their borders to the world, and other members will soon follow suit.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I thought the EU external borders ban was advisory and it is actually up to the individual member what they do?
Certainly not for Schengen external borders. I don’t believe MS can do what they want. There is only one border and it’s either open or closed. In case one MS would allow non-Schengen pax while border still closed, it will lead to closure of internal borders. Would this happen, there will be some big fights in Brussels.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:00 am

The Lockdown has been very difficult for me to deal with, particularly in relation to my mental health. We have been in lockdown since March, we are releasing it very slowly - our polticans have told us that they WILL go back into Lockdown if cases rise again.

I DO NOT want to go back into Lockdown because the borders have been reopened to America. I do not want your cases exported here, to undo all the hard work that we have put in. [Moderator conforming edit to original quoted post.]

It is only fair and rational for me to want to protect the health of my citizens and to WANT to stop another peak on the curve.

I have been reading your posts throughout this thread and it is very clear that you have a higher level of fear and lower level of risk than many posters. However that does not give you any right to dictate or try and determine what we should post, or what countries should do.

May I try and kindly suggest that you back away, log off, and consider and address your mental health. Many people have struggled, and it is clear that you are as well and I am glad that you admitted to that. But understand that during this period, many of us are not 'safe' at home, but are in the 'wrong' location, or being denied critical medical care, or have lost jobs, or are not with partners/family etc.

I do not think that the US has handled this well, and I do not support the leadership. Nor do I think that your own country has handled this well, nor do I support the leadership. However, the reality is that the virus is reducing in Europe at a far faster rate than anticipated. Look just a bit south of you across the border to see how the opening plan was accelerated. When the original plan was released, I thought that they were crazy and am glad to see that they have moderated plans (although I still think they are excessive) I can understand countries choosing to open at varying rates, and I would personally not include UK and Brazil, but even the US I am seeing hope that things are improving.

The reality is that the virus is decreasing, sometimes at a faster pace than anticipated, impact on overall economies is not as great as forecasted, and it is time to open up the world and take the risks.

I personally have been very, very significantly impacted, and have permanent physical damage as a result of how some governments chose to handle things. COVID19 is certainly a significant health emergency, but we need to consider the people globally who cannot access medical care, or who are at real risk of death from other reasons due to all these restrictions and limitations.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 6, 2020 at 2:44 pm Reason: See note above in quote.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So I have a planning question, for traveling from the US to Greece in late July, back in late August. I prefer flying direct, to minimize transits, risks, and complications, and that's where my current plans are (with miles), but I am wondering if it will be a safer bet to transit via MAD or LHR instead.

My understanding is that Greece unofficially considers EU countries like Spain, Italy, and France as "second tier" but making good progress, and likely be allowed in fully with no restrictions after July 1, while the US and the UK are considered "third tier" and more doubtful that they will sufficiently reduce epidemiological profile by July 1. The Greek government has announced that any restrictions for certain countries will be announced sometime in June. Unofficially, they have said that if US and other flights are allowed freely with only random tests, and things start going bad, the options will be either (a) suspension o f flights, or (b) mandatory quarantine for all arrivals.

My question is should I hedge my initial bets on the direct flights, or opt for connections via MAD or LHR. My preference is to keep or finalize the direct flights with AA, but then I am not sure if AA will start consolidating or cancelling the route if things don't t start looking that good, and the likelihood of successful re-accommodations in J with partners. Any thoughts of what routes will be safer? So many unknowns...
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by nk15
So I have a planning question, for traveling from the US to Greece in late July, back in late August. I prefer flying direct, to minimize transits, risks, and complications, and that's where my current plans are (with miles), but I am wondering if it will be a safer bet to transit via MAD or LHR instead.

My understanding is that Greece unofficially considers EU countries like Spain, Italy, and France as "second tier" but making good progress, and likely be allowed in fully with no restrictions after July 1, while the US and the UK are considered "third tier" and more doubtful that they will sufficiently reduce epidemiological profile by July 1. The Greek government has announced that any restrictions for certain countries will be announced sometime in June. Unofficially, they have said that if US and other flights are allowed freely with only random tests, and things start going bad, the options will be either (a) suspension o f flights, or (b) mandatory quarantine for all arrivals.

My question is should I hedge my initial bets on the direct flights, or opt for connections via MAD or LHR. My preference is to keep or finalize the direct flights with AA, but then I am not sure if AA will start consolidating or cancelling the route if things don't t start looking that good, and the likelihood of successful re-accommodations in J with partners. Any thoughts of what routes will be safer? So many unknowns...
Yes. Many unknowns. Just don’t plan/book anything right now.
Owenc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.