Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 31, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
.... I think the bigger concern is that Greece appears to be very cautious about which countries it opens its doors to.
Indeed. As with the Iceland announcements around opening-up, Greece has some useful specifics which might show how these things will operate.
Greece is retaining the 'naughty list' proviso from 1st July.
One would assume, as a minimum, flights arriving from naughty list airports will retain Greece's test-on-arrival screening. So, overnight in hotel, 7 days self-isolate if negative, 14 days supervised quarantine if positive.
So .... being on the naughty list is a deal-breaker for 90% of tourists.

Aha. So what will Greece have on their naughty list? As the announcement states, this is to be confirmed later.
The current way is to use the EASA list. Currently, issue 14, All UK, AMS, MAD, CDG, BCN, BRU, ARN are listed as in high transmission risk areas.
Currently, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Ireland and Switzerland, amongst others, are not on the list.

We'll see whether the EASA list becomes widely accepted and adopted.
Sadly, the methodology described does appear overly subjective and its hard to tell what the pass/fail criteria are. However, not any easy task with all manner of partial data out there.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by littlefish
Indeed. As with the Iceland announcements around opening-up, Greece has some useful specifics which might show how these things will operate.
Greece is retaining the 'naughty list' proviso from 1st July.
One would assume, as a minimum, flights arriving from naughty list airports will retain Greece's test-on-arrival screening. So, overnight in hotel, 7 days self-isolate if negative, 14 days supervised quarantine if positive.
So .... being on the naughty list is a deal-breaker for 90% of tourists.

Aha. So what will Greece have on their naughty list? As the announcement states, this is to be confirmed later.
The current way is to use the EASA list. Currently, issue 14, All UK, AMS, MAD, CDG, BCN, BRU, ARN are listed as in high transmission risk areas.
Currently, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Ireland and Switzerland, amongst others, are not on the list.

We'll see whether the EASA list becomes widely accepted and adopted.
Sadly, the methodology described does appear overly subjective and its hard to tell what the pass/fail criteria are. However, not any easy task with all manner of partial data out there.
this is getting more and more political. I wonder how often EASA updates ‘the list’. Mind you if Germany includes EU after June 15 Some of the naughty countries are safe still then!

and Sweden will be the most punished for ‘daring to never lockdown’
Old May 31, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Gold; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by littlefish
Actually it's not "Aĺl UK", for example EDI and ABZ are not on it and neither are any Welsh or Northern Irish airports.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:17 am

Some English people use the word U.K. to mean England.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Ardecos
Actually it's not "Aĺl UK", for example EDI and ABZ are not on it and neither are any Welsh or Northern Irish airports.
So you can just drive up to Edinburgh and fly to Greece from there, how ridiculous!
Old May 31, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
So you can just drive up to Edinburgh and fly to Greece from there, how ridiculous!
let’s see the list on 15 June when Greece actually opens.
Old May 31, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The best case scenario after July 1 is random testing for everyone, as announced. It is not clear what that means...5% of the flight or 25% of the flight. I am skeptical how this will work at tiny regional airports with no real arrival areas.

It is also unnerving what will happen to the scheduled flights if some of the most serious restrictions are not lifted for certain countries, and if the airlines start consolidating the schedule.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
this is getting more and more political. I wonder how often EASA updates ‘the list’. Mind you if Germany includes EU after June 15 Some of the naughty countries are safe still then!

and Sweden will be the most punished for ‘daring to never lockdown’
Some of the list seems a bit odd. For example, is there such a localized "hot spot" that Katowice airport is on the list but Krakow airport, less than 70km away, is not? I guess hard to know without knowing all of the criteria.
paulaf likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They will administer those random tests without charge?

And you're expected to stay in one place for a week? That would effectively ban many tourists.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
The best case scenario after July 1 is random testing for everyone, as announced. It is not clear what that means...5% of the flight or 25% of the flight. I am skeptical how this will work at tiny regional airports with no real arrival areas.
Random testing is a joke. What happens if the test shows a false positive? You gonna be locked up like a filthy dog in a cage for 7-14 days? The average tourist (bread and butter for Greece) will NOT risk that.
Either the testing is dropped, people show a health certificate BEFORE boarding, or the tourist season is dead on arrival.
Old May 31, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by wco81
They will administer those random tests without charge?

And you're expected to stay in one place for a week? That would effectively ban many tourists.
I am guessing the random tests will be free. My guess is that the random test will likely be all or nothing, either free to go or 14-days quarantine. It will be illogical to require a 7-day self-quarantine for a random test that was negative. (They do it now as a pre-caution for everyone under a different premise, I assume, but it is irrational to do this for a randomly tested individual).
Old May 31, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Say you test positive, have to quarantine. Then you develop symptoms, including trouble breathing.

Are they going to put you in their hospitals, including possibly an ICU slot?

Guess you will want to be close to Athens where there would be the most hospital facilities.

If you became sick on a small island with infrequent flights back to ATH, it may be risky.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Say you test positive, have to quarantine. Then you develop symptoms, including trouble breathing.

Are they going to put you in their hospitals, including possibly an ICU slot?

Guess you will want to be close to Athens where there would be the most hospital facilities.

If you became sick on a small island with infrequent flights back to ATH, it may be risky.
people who are in high risk groups would likely not want to travel during this time.

also I still haven’t seen anything yet from my travel ‘loophole’ as in you transit through a ‘safe country’
Old May 31, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Random testing is a joke. What happens if the test shows a false positive? You gonna be locked up like a filthy dog in a cage for 7-14 days? The average tourist (bread and butter for Greece) will NOT risk that.
Either the testing is dropped, people show a health certificate BEFORE boarding, or the tourist season is dead on arrival.
i can’t see them random testing it doesn’t make sense
Old May 31, 2020, 3:33 pm

Portugal's border reopening plan is...interesting to say the least. Reopening to: EU/EEA/UK, plus Canada, USA, Brazil, and other Portuguese-speaking countries.

Not confirmed yet and obviously will depend on the external Schengen ban too.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.