Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 28, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Thanks for posting - that second document is very interesting and shows the type of multi-layer approach I expect most countries to take. Reading it did make me consider booking a holiday in Cyprus. I hope it all works out.

Hopefully the new normal is not that holiday destinations market themselves based on the number of respirators available for tourists!

What it means if I travel ZRH (Category B) - VIE (category A) - LCA ?

Do I need to have a negative test?
It is depending on the country you live or the country the flight arrives from?
Old May 28, 2020, 3:05 am

The answer is in Q2: https://www.visitcyprus.com/files/CO...prus_final.pdf

Prior to boarding the flight you need to complete and show a 'traveller declaration" with the countries visited in the last 14 days and a confirmation you haven't visited or lived in other countries. Interestingly I assume this means you can only fly via cat A or B countries, and a flight from Germany(A) to Zurich (B) to Larnaca could mean you are coming from a category B country (requiring a test).
Old May 28, 2020, 9:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Some interesting statistics from European Union Tourism Trends (2018)

• EU residents made 1.2 billion trips and spent 6 billion nights in 2016
  • 74% of trips and 58% of nights were in the tourists’ own country of residence
  • EU residents spent 65% of international nights within the EU

The pie chart below shows that 73% of international tourist arrivals to EU destinations in 2016 was from within the EU, 11% was from European countries outside the EU and 16% was from outside Europe.

Tourists from outside Europe are reported to be increasing faster than those from within Europe, but the majority of tourists to EU destinations are from within Europe as you see. Although 16% from outside Europe might spend more per capita than tourists from within Europe, European tourism is unlikely to be severely affected especially if more European people decide to limit their trips to within Europe due to travel restrictions in other regions. In other words EU countries do not have to depend on tourists from outside Europe such as USA and China for the time being.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I guess we may learn by mid or late June whether this opening up of EU countries to each other will lead to spikes in cases.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Some interesting statistics from European Union Tourism Trends (2018)

• EU residents made 1.2 billion trips and spent 6 billion nights in 2016
  • 74% of trips and 58% of nights were in the tourists’ own country of residence
  • EU residents spent 65% of international nights within the EU

The pie chart below shows that 73% of international tourist arrivals to EU destinations in 2016 was from within the EU, 11% was from European countries outside the EU and 16% was from outside Europe.

Tourists from outside Europe are reported to be increasing faster than those from within Europe, but the majority of tourists to EU destinations are from within Europe as you see. Although 16% from outside Europe might spend more per capita than tourists from within Europe, European tourism is unlikely to be severely affected especially if more European people decide to limit their trips to within Europe due to travel restrictions in other regions. In other words EU countries do not have to depend on tourists from outside Europe such as USA and China for the time being.
Some european countries get few American tourists. Americans seem to stick to a select few countries I.e U.K., Ireland, France, Spain Italy and Germany. I have seen a few in Portugal.

Places like Latvia, Croatia you will not see them.

Though at times I have wondered if the tourists I have seen were exchange students. For ex, I don’t think too many Americans tour in portimao.

Where I am located, most seem to come here, either off cruises or for ancestry tours.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:09 am
Suspended

It makes sense, since intercontinental travel costs more than a 2 hour Ryan Air flight. Way more, so of course the potential market of people willing to spend that much is smaller.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wco81
I guess we may learn by mid or late June whether this opening up of EU countries to each other will lead to spikes in cases.
It will, as summer travel in the EU/EEA involves more individuals than fall and winter travel and this novel coronavirus has had more time to spread and become less novel to way more people now than was the situation in October 15, 2019-May 15, 2020.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: oneworld Sapphire, Skyteam Elite Plus
I still wonder how many people will genuinely want to travel imminently in the current circumstances.

The airport experience is likely to be far from emjoyable, and then at the destination there are likely to be various rules and regulations in place that will make it somewhat less relaxed, but I guess lots of people will still want to go somewhere, especially after lockdowns and the like.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by TAEUR
I still wonder how many people will genuinely want to travel imminently in the current circumstances.

The airport experience is likely to be far from emjoyable, and then at the destination there are likely to be various rules and regulations in place that will make it somewhat less relaxed, but I guess lots of people will still want to go somewhere, especially after lockdowns and the like.
I am definitely eager to travel, but flying is probably off the menu for me simply because of all the hassle involved. Flying is going to be a dystopian nightmare for the next few months. Nope, I'm in the car this summer.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: oneworld Sapphire, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I am definitely eager to travel, but flying is probably off the menu for me simply because of all the hassle involved. Flying is going to be a dystopian nightmare for the next few months. Nope, I'm in the car this summer.
I feel quite similar. I do have the urge to go some place and I could be attracted to somewhere for the final destination, but the thought of air travel and all it entails doesn't make me feel like buying a ticket anywhere, certainly not for the next few months.

Depending on how things develop, and the experiences people have travelling, I might look at it again for the Autumn.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TAEUR
I feel quite similar. I do have the urge to go some place and I could be attracted to somewhere for the final destination, but the thought of air travel and all it entails doesn't make me feel like buying a ticket anywhere, certainly not for the next few months.

Depending on how things develop, and the experiences people have travelling, I might look at it again for the Autumn.
The other thing is finding somewhere where domestic restrictions are unobtrusive enough to make it worthwhile going.

It's moot for me at the moment, because my own country (Austria) requires a 14-day-quarantine or negative test (€195 and 36-hour wait) on returning. Not worth it for a few days away.

The Carinthian Lakes may be a possibility, however, if the weather in my home town is bad.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Would that be true if you drove or took a train across the border to CR, Italy, Switzerland or Germany?
Old May 28, 2020, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81
Would that be true if you drove or took a train across the border to CR, Italy, Switzerland or Germany?
At the moment, yes. Certainly whilst the border controls are in place. They are due to be taken away by June 15 on the borders of Germany, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Slovakia and Hungary (and, I think, Czechia).

As it stands, I work in Germany anyway and cross the border every day (frontier commuters are exempt from the quarantine if only commuting from work) and I have a commuter pass. So it's possible (in fact, probable) that I would just be waved through anyway. I was today. Not something I would particularly want to risk though if the consequence is two weeks of home imprisonment.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Europe CDC just released guidelines on travel. Generally, border closures to cut off travel are meaningless if the destination has community spread. Also, unless the destination has eradicated the virus, then travel and entry restrictions could be useful. But closing borders really needs to be implemented very early on:

And fortuitously Europe’s CDC has just released guidance on re-opening travel that speaks to the role that travel can play bringing people from one place to another. The conclusion is that people traveling with the virus spread it from one place to another, but once that happens there’s little further risk – except to places that have crushed the virus completely.
  • In places where the virus is already spreading, limits on travel don’t help. Bringing in a few extra cases doesn’t materially change the trajectory of the virus.

• If a country really has beaten the virus, then travel restrictions are a different matter. Travel could re-introduce the virus to a place where it isn’t already spreading.

• It’s generally desirable to limit travel from places with high concentrations of the virus to places with low concentration.

• Overall border closures aren’t helpful,
    Based on evidence from modelling studies mainly related to influenza pandemics, border closures can delay the introduction of the virus into a country but only if they are almost complete and are rapidly implemented during the early phases of an epidemic, which is only feasible in specific contexts (e.g. for small, isolated, island nations) [14]. Available evidence therefore does not support recommending border closures, which will cause significant secondary effects and societal and economic disruption in the EU.
There are prudent steps to take, according to Europe’s CDC. Tourism can mean dense gatherings – in airports, at resorts – and those contribute to spreading the virus. Large indoor gatherings are a bad idea. Even though physical distancing on planes of 5 to 6 feet isn’t going to be possible, some distancing (eg blocked middle seats) is better than no distancing.

Much of what’s being contemplated is theater rather than prophylactic, for instance “entry screening procedures are ineffective in preventing virus introduction. Emphasis should therefore be placed on discouraging symptomatic individuals from travelling.”
Past experience with entry screening using temperature control shows that it is a high-cost, low-efficiency measure. Current evidence, including evidence acquired in the early phases of the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe, indicates that entry screening is ineffective in preventing SARS-CoV-2 virus introductions.

In a recent review of the public health response by the US CDC, data from incoming passengers in selected US airports revealed that as of 21 April 2020, the screening of 268 000 returning travellers had detected 14 cases of COVID-19 (approximately 5/100 000 screened passengers) [16]. However, based on existing knowledge of the disease evolution, a relatively large number of cases will be in the incubation phase while travelling. COVID-19 has an incubation period of 2−14 days, with 75% of cases developing symptoms in a period of between four and seven days.

These travellers will not be detected by exit or entry screening, even in a scenario assuming high sensitivity detection of symptomatic travellers. This scenario was modelled at the beginning of the outbreak in January 2020, with an estimated 75% of infected passengers exiting or entering the country without being detected [20].

Moreover, since then evidence has been accumulating to indicate that asymptomatic (or pre-symptomatic and mild) cases play a significant role in the transmission of COVID-19 [1]. It is therefore impossible to rely on exit or entry screening to identify all those infected, as only a portion of them will probably be detected by the available screening tools.

https://viewfromthewing.com/for-most...-virus-spread/

Direct link to the ECDC guideline document:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/def...9-in-EUEEA.pdf
Old May 28, 2020, 3:03 pm

Europe doesn’t have a cdc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.