Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 26, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wco81
Are their clientele mostly Europeans visiting other European countries or people from other continents?
Mostly EU/EEA persons in both directions on their flights within/to/from Europe.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:41 pm

Are their clientele mostly Europeans visiting other European countries or people from other continents?
It’s mostly inter Europe from the U.K.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do Europeans visit the popular tourist destinations in Europe?

Or do they just go to the beaches or mountains in August, let the Americans and the Chinese overrun places like Paris, Rome, Venice, Madrid, etc.?

IOW, would EU tourists alone be enough to bring in the revenues that these places are used to getting? Of course these are extraordinary times so they can't expect normal business.

But the tourism businesses in these places, would they prioritize pubic health concerns over money? Obviously they would like some tourism this summer, or else these EU countries wouldn't be entertaining opening their borders to each other.

However, will tourists from nearby countries be enough for a lot of these places?
Old May 27, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC Silver
Of course we do, seems an odd question.

But the tourism businesses in these places, would they prioritize pubic health concerns over money?
Better to reopen with strict measures and less capacity than to stay closed. Restaurants and bars are aching to reopen here in Belgium. Most of them have been preparing for weeks and putting up new procedures. Some even have undergone serious reconstruction to cope with the social distancing. They are investing, while owners haven't made any revenues the past weeks. You have to look beyond the horizon, things will eventually return to normal but it will take a very long time.

The only thing that I'm afraid of, with the easing of lockdowns, measures and reopening the borders that it eventually will lead to a second, much worse wave. So you could say that money is prioritized over public health and safety. I believe June will decide the fate of 2020... what's left of it.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, it is probably true to say that Europeans wouldn't necessarily travel to the city centres in July and August. So Germans will go to Tuscany and Americans to Rome. The French will be in the south or west, the Chinese in Paris. And so on. Obviously a large generalisation.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Or do they just go to the beaches or mountains in August, let the Americans and the Chinese overrun places like Paris, Rome, Venice, Madrid, etc.?

IOW, would EU tourists alone be enough to bring in the revenues that these places are used to getting? Of course these are extraordinary times so they can't expect normal business.

But the tourism businesses in these places, would they prioritize pubic health concerns over money? Obviously they would like some tourism this summer, or else these EU countries wouldn't be entertaining opening their borders to each other.

However, will tourists from nearby countries be enough for a lot of these places?
EU/EEA populations are large enough that most of the tourist destinations can get by enough on EU/EEA traffic in the main. And Europeans pack most of the EU places in the summer, with the main exception being the bigger city center places — with the city places being be way more reliant upon non-European business in the summer or on budget European travelers who usually are on the younger side.

I can say that all the non-city center, home rentals I’m looking at in Europe this summer are more expensive or otherwise less available for me to book at this point than was the case in prior years, and my competition for most of these places have been Europeans in prior years.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
The CDC says "Their 'best estimate' has a symptomatic CFR of 0.4%," however they also note that " 35% of people infected by the coronavirus show no symptoms." So that means the total CFR is 0.26%. For reference, the 2017-2018 Influenza season had a CFR of 0.21%. So we are talking about a virus that is perhaps 0.05% stronger than seasonal influenza and we are continuing to keep THE ENTIRE WORLD closed? Sure it's more dangerous for elderly or sick people. Those people should stay home and isolate, and you shouldn't expose at risk people, but everyone healthy and under 65 needs to get back out there ASAP. EU needs to OPEN.
JNelson113, BLV, 84fiero and 3 others like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
European cities get hot in July-August, and most locals I believe try to get to the beach or the country side at that time, either in their own country or somewhere in the south. City tourism in Europe is best in the fall, spring and winter, September to June. I believe it is mostly Americans and other international visitors that come to European cities in the Summer.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Cyprus travel rules seem to be now available:

https://www.visitcyprus.com/index.ph...ravel-protocol

https://www.visitcyprus.com/files/CO...prus_final.pdf
Owenc likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyvinci

Better to reopen with strict measures and less capacity than to stay closed. Restaurants and bars are aching to reopen here in Belgium. Most of them have been preparing for weeks and putting up new procedures. Some even have undergone serious reconstruction to cope with the social distancing. They are investing, while owners haven't made any revenues the past weeks. You have to look beyond the horizon, things will eventually return to normal but it will take a very long time.

The only thing that I'm afraid of, with the easing of lockdowns, measures and reopening the borders that it eventually will lead to a second, much worse wave. So you could say that money is prioritized over public health and safety. I believe June will decide the fate of 2020... what's left of it.
Has Belgium flattened or lowered the rate of new infections?

Can you go sample beers in Brussels or Brugge from outside the pub or do those cities allow alcohol outdoors?

Maybe biergartens would be a better option.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, it is probably true to say that Europeans wouldn't necessarily travel to the city centres in July and August. So Germans will go to Tuscany and Americans to Rome. The French will be in the south or west, the Chinese in Paris. And so on. Obviously a large generalisation.

That's kind of what I was thinking, that they go to summer resorts along the coast or in the mountains.

Not necessarily going to hill towns during the summer heat looking for a more cultural experience.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15

They definitely cherry picked the countries with the lowest infection rate. Rational but it's relatively small, so they don't necessarily have to welcome the whole world this summer.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:50 pm

They definitely cherry picked the countries with the lowest infection rate. Rational but it's relatively small, so they don't necessarily have to welcome the whole world this summer.
They hope to let the UK in early July :

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/05/27/c...ussia-britain/
Old May 27, 2020, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Is it Cyprus where English is mostly spoken or is it only Malta?
Old May 27, 2020, 12:58 pm

Some English is spoken in Malta, but it is not an English speaking country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.