Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by fransknorge
So there are no rules for masks being mandatory in the UK and high street shops are suffering, but making masks (a protection) mandatory will hurt shop more.
I guess it is like condoms, since we wear them one night stands disappeared and only post marriage sex exists. And anyway condoms will disappear in the coming months when the infamous AIDS vaccine come.
Right. Yet another person making a "clever" observation that we don't have a vaccine yet for AIDS. Vaccinations are usually designed to get the immune system to mimic what happens when the body recovers from a virus, which doesn't work as well then for AIDS, an insanely fast mutating virus that almost no one has naturally recovered from, hence we have no immune system to mimic.
​​​
Unfortunately most people who make these comparisons continue to make these comparisons, despite being told, that it's a comparison that makes no sense.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Right. Yet another person making a "clever" observation that we don't have a vaccine yet for AIDS. Vaccinations are usually designed to get the immune system to mimic what happens when the body recovers from a virus, which doesn't work as well then for AIDS, an insanely fast mutating virus that almost no one has naturally recovered from, hence we have no immune system to mimic.
​​​
Unfortunately most people who make these comparisons continue to make these comparisons, despite being told, that it's a comparison that makes no sense.
[Moderator edit of admittedly off-topic content.]

To get back on topic, for a more normal EU tourism experience, France, Switzerland, Greece and the UK are all fairly liberal with mask use (the only times you need it are on public transport and even then not so strictly enforced in many cases), so those would be the 'safest' destinations for the summer, with maybe Italy in the list as well.
flyingcrazy likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 12, 2020 at 9:03 am Reason: See note above.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
To get back on topic, for a more normal EU tourism experience, France, Switzerland, Greece and the UK are all fairly liberal with mask use (the only times you need it are on public transport and even then not so strictly enforced in many cases), so those would be the 'safest' destinations for the summer, with maybe Italy in the list as well.
The best place at the moment is Czechia, beyond any doubt. They don't have compulsory masks on public transportation (except metro) and as long as you stay outside high-risk areas, there are no restrictions at all. No social distancing, no masks, no forced closures. The good old normal. Greece with their forms and testing can't compare, neither UK with its fairly strict social distancing and high risk of masks becoming compulsory. Switzerland is fine but they recently introduced masks on public transportation, so it's a no go for me.

Unfortunately I have to leave Prague tonight but I hope to be back very soon. There's no better place in Europe right now. 100% normal experience.
flyingcrazy and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by GUWonder
But I have little doubt that this pales in comparison to the travel dynamic for those in the EU/EEA who are taken for being Chinese.
One of my travel buddies is of Chinese ethnicity and nobody even looked twice when we did a domestic trip here in the Netherlands in June. Everything was totally normal.
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:00 am

Masks are now mandatory in shops in Scotland, Belgium, and as of today, Croatia.

Hearing of complete compliance of it in Scotland.
Sjoerd and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am an American surrounded by Danes and Swedes in both Sweden and Denmark. I can only wonder what hotel staff and other guests in Denmark and Sweden have been thinking when they hear me speak English, especially at this point. Before the EU had this summer tourist season opening, I had definitely noticed more looks when I was on the phone in public outdoor places in these countries; now, not so much. But I have little doubt that this pales in comparison to the travel dynamic for those in the EU/EEA who are taken for being Chinese.
I was sitting near Americans at dinner two nights ago and when I heard they're American (which I also am - I grew up there), I did move our table and seats slightly further away...
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Dan1113
I was sitting near Americans at dinner two nights ago and when I heard they're American (which I also am - I grew up there), I did move our table and seats slightly further away...
Are the tables not far enough normally? In the UK they are.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:05 am

Distance measures have varied a lot from place to place.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:52 am
Suspended

Masks are now mandatory in shops in Scotland, Belgium, and as of today, Croatia.

Hearing of complete compliance of it in Scotland.
Incorrect. I would say about 30% non compliance in coop yesterday and about 20% in lidl. No efforts of staff to enforce it either. This is in Aberdeen.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
You are going to have this panic mess when cases go up and the pro mask brigade demands it, but the reality is most people do not like wearing masks even if they are scared of the virus. This will go on until there is a vaccine in the coming months.

I seriously think mandatory masks will cause people to go less to indoor places, which may sound good health wise, but economically will devastate it, already in the UK you are hearing of serious issues in high street shops even with them open, no one goes.
Wearing a mask in my opinion is uncomfortable and feels very unnatural. I do think the world is fixating on this virus, and not on the bigger picture of quality of life.
the810 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Wearing a mask in my opinion is uncomfortable and feels very unnatural. I do think the world is fixating on this virus, and not on the bigger picture of quality of life.
If you are dead your quality of life is pretty low.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
If you are dead your quality of life is pretty low.
And yet there was a wide consensus that taking some risks is worth having a life in last couple of centuries.
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It's funny how that goes.

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Or, these days the best way to live a long and free life is to wear a mask, keep your distance and ask that everyone else do the same.
ExpatExp and dll2k20 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The anti-mask anti-distancing crowd here is delusional, and you are endangering public health...Bars in the US south are closed and many other states have closed bars and restaurants linked to high transmission or otherwise put severe restrictions. A single bar-restaurant in Michigan was responsible for over 150 cases...
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:09 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Italians from Lombardia and other red zones are being shunned when they visit other regions.

Residents of Codogno, in Lodi province, the first town in the country’s badly affected Lombardy region to be quarantined, have claimed attempts to book holidays elsewhere in Italy were rebuffed after they revealed they would be travelling from a former “red zone”.

Among them was Davide Passerini, who lives in Codogno but is mayor of the small town of Fombio, another area quarantined early. His accommodation booking for a weekend away in Tuscany was rejected after the owner discovered he was from Codogno.

“Even if these are rare episodes, the prejudice leaves you feeling very bitter,” Passerini said. “It is the result of ignorance among those who don’t understand that people coming from the first red zones are today probably less likely to bring the virus because the level of contagion in these places is now close to zero and has been for a long time. But in the minds of some people, Codogno remains synonymous with infectious disease.”

During a phone-in to an Italian radio show last week, a couple from another area hard-hit by the virus spoke about being turned away at a hotel reception with the excuse that the establishment was fully booked.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20..._b-aplnews_d-1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.