Coronavirus: testing and travel

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
So the first proven one: I will be there. That is what's called chasing: not waiting for one country to clear it and depending on one system to get it.
Do you really think that country governments, incl. Germany + EU, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand are just keen to annoy their people and economies by delaying the certification of so called "proven" vaccines? A "yes" to this question is something I am reading between your lines.

My prediction is that by the end of this autumn, some countries may approve first vaccines for emergency use (e.g. for healthy health care workers).
Moreover, I strongly assume that you - with all your passports - are not going to get access to these vaccines.

You are seriously quoting The Moscow Times?
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...-august-a70858

I thought you give a Russian vaccine a pass?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2020 at 11:31 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
You are seriously quoting The Moscow Times?

I thought you give a Russian vaccine a pass?

Did you read the first item?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:19 am

Do you really think that country governments, incl. Germany + EU, South Korea, Japan, New Zealand are just keen to annoy their people and economies by delaying the certification of so called "proven" vaccines? A "yes" to this question is something I am reading between your lines.
Maybe. It's all geopolitics and about money. It's foolish to assume all Governments are looking our for welfare of their own people all the time. For example, why would mask wearing be mandatory in some countries and not in others? I am not getting in a political discussion, but pointing out that your unwavering trust in Government decisions is quite pathetic.

[Redact overly personal comments]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 15, 2020 at 10:42 am Reason: Redact overly personal comments
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:22 am
Suspended

You mean https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...vaccine-trial/ ?
This article is still talking about a Russian vaccine. Of course, I hope that this vaccine works and is safe. However, I am sceptical and would not recommend you to get your Russian Passport out to fly to Russia to get it there.

Is clinicaltrialsarena.com a credible and independent news source? I don't think so. They are getting paid to publish such "press release"-style news articles.

VERDICT MEDIA LIMITED is located in LONDON, United Kingdom and is part of the Advertising & Marketing Services Industry. VERDICT MEDIA LIMITED has 87 employees at this location and generates $11.14 million in sales (USD). There are 29 companies in the VERDICT MEDIA LIMITED corporate family.
I am not getting in a political discussion, but pointing out that your unwavering trust in Government decisions is quite pathetic.
Again, as I said before: I do not trust Russian or Chinese government health/medical authorities. Moreover, I am fearing that the human trials in these countries are not conducted on a purely voluntary basis.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2020 at 11:33 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I'm in the waiting camp too, especially if a vaccine becomes available soon (i.e., within the next year). I'm concerned not only about the efficacy of the vaccine but also the supply chain and delivery services. I can wait til the kinks are worked out and see what kind of side effects are observed from mass delivery of the vaccine, not just in trials.
I'm thinking that after giving them say about 10 years to work out the kinks and discover some of the side effects I might consider getting it.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Why not just catch the virus, and that will provide immunity and antibodies for a few months... ?
Concern over long-term pulmonary, cardiac, neurological, or circulatory damage. A friend in NYC, fit 50ish woman, survived COVID but suffers with the perhaps permanent aftereffect of feeling like she's in an earthquake every 60 minutes or so. Neuro phenomenon they can't figure out. Anyone blithe enough to suggest just getting it 'cos it's really nuthin', I'll connect you with my (much-diminished) friend.

Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach
[ Different countries will clear vaccines with the protocol that is in their countries. And I stated in my first post that I hold multiple passports. So the first proven one: I will be there. That is what's called chasing...
I want a well-certified vaccine as much as anyone, but I'm not selfish enough to think I deserve to move to the head of the queue, in my or any country. Any bus driver, scrub nurse, EMT, ICU orderly, grocery clerk, etc. in my city needs it more than I do.
bensyd, vanillabean, 13901 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Juat because Trump ordered 300m doses, doesn't mean he'll get them all.
They have already paid for them via the 1.2 billion investment on the vaccine development.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN22X0J9

This is a newer article though on vaccine development prospetcs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/drug...cials-say.html
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Concern over long-term pulmonary, cardiac, neurological, or circulatory damage. A friend in NYC, fit 50ish woman, survived COVID but suffers with the perhaps permanent aftereffect of feeling like she's in an earthquake every 60 minutes or so. Neuro phenomenon they can't figure out. Anyone blithe enough to suggest just getting it 'cos it's really nuthin', I'll connect you with my (much-diminished) friend.
That is very unfortunate for your friend, but the stark reality is that is vastly outlying case. For the very large majority of people, racing out to get a vaccine that is largely untested brings with it the potential for equal or far greater risks.

If this were a situation of the Ebola virus going airborne and being spread like wildfire with a 80-90% mortality rate, yes, everyone should race out and get a vaccine, tested or not, because the benefits would likely outweigh the risks. In the case of COVID, those feeling at risk will need to weigh the opportunity cost for themselves, but IMO for younger, healthy people I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the risks at this moment.
CorgiMom likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cmd320
That is very unfortunate for your friend, but the stark reality is that is vastly outlying case.
it would be a vastly outlying case if I were T-boned and killed in my vehicle by a drunk driver, but I still put my seatbelt on.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
it would be a vastly outlying case if I were T-boned and killed in my vehicle by a drunk driver, but I still put my seatbelt on.
1) you put your seat belt on for many reasons other than being t-boned and killed by a drunk driver
2) there is very little risk associated with using a seat belt
LifeontheBeach likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Question. Given the USAs strong private health sector, do people think it will be possible to purchase your way into a vaccine? Even as a foreigner?

I ask not for myself, but for others thinking of doing it.

I am resigned at this point that my overseas travel is likely to restart at the earliest 2021 Q4 so am making the most of it in the meantime!

I am also young enough that it would be pretty selfish for me to take a vaccine in my extremely non essential job.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LifeontheBeach
This medical info website says their clinical trials are complete.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...vaccine-trial/

And this item says the civilian use by Aug 12 and mass production by September.

I'll take Reuters word over those websites.

A larger-scale trial, intended to ascertain the strength of the immune response produced by the vaccine and how long protection will last, is expected to begin in Russia in mid-August.

More than 100 possible vaccines are being developed and tested around the world to try to stop the pandemic. Of 19 in human trials, only two are in the final Phase III - one by China’s Sinopharm and another by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford.

“We were primarily testing for safety,” Elena Smolyarchuk, a department director at Sechenov University and one of the coordinators of the trial, said.

“On non-specific immunity we can only talk about preliminary results. These show a good, positive tendency, a strengthening of non-specific immunity,” she said.

However any final conclusions about the immune response among the volunteers will be drawn by the Gamaleya Institute, which developed the vaccine, and are expected towards the end of the month.

Russia’s health ministry will then decide whether to register the vaccine and begin a larger-scale trial, Smolyarchuk said.

The vaccine is administered in two doses and consists of two serotypes of the human adenovirus, each carrying an S-antigen of the new coronavirus, which enter human cells and produce an immune response, Smolyarchuk said.It was first tested on primates and then administered to the volunteers on June 18.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24G1UM
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:33 pm
Suspended

May I compare the statements of the clinicaltrialsarena.com link with the statements of the Reuters article?

Clinicaltrialsarena (a website, which basically publishes press releases for a fee):
https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/...vaccine-trial/
Russian university completes clinical trials of Covid-19 vaccine
.. Russia has become the first country to have completed clinical trials of a Covid-19 vaccine candidate, after Sechenov University said that it had concluded its study.
.. According to Sechenov University Center for Clinical Research on Medications head and chief researcher Elena Smolyarchuk, study data showed the vaccine candidate’s effectiveness, reported Russian news agency TASS.
... Smolyarchuk was quoted by the news agency as saying: “The research has been completed and it proved that the vaccine is safe. The volunteers will be discharged on 15 July and 20 July.”
[Deleted by moderator]
But if you read the Reuters article, which deals with the same topic, you'll hear sth. very different.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24G1UM

A larger-scale trial, intended to ascertain the strength of the immune response produced by the vaccine and how long protection will last, is expected to begin in Russia in mid-August.
.. On non-specific immunity we can only talk about preliminary results.
... However any final conclusions about the immune response among the volunteers will be drawn by the Gamaleya Institute, which developed the vaccine, and are expected towards the end of the month.
.. Russia’s health ministry will then decide whether to register the vaccine and begin a larger-scale trial, Smolyarchuk said.
My hint: be careful with your sources of information!

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 15, 2020 at 7:13 pm
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
My money is on "Operation Warp Speed", brought to you by those two geniuses...

President claims 'Operation Warp Speed' will find coronavirus vaccine by end of year as Space Force makes White House debut

LifeontheBeach likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by largeeyes
You're living a dream if you think there will be availability Q1 2021.....
well if I told you I work in the Pharma industry would that make you feel better?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.