Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: testing and travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
A working vaccine can replace natural immunity, but can NOT exceed it!
Reportedly, Covid-19 vaccines in development exceed the natural immunity.

And why should this not be possible? You can increase the dose of the vaccine to produce a stronger immune response (cannot do with with the actual virus, as it would kill the patient).
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Reportedly, Covid-19 vaccines in development exceed the natural immunity.
And why should this not be possible? You can increase the dose of the vaccine to produce a stronger immune response (cannot do with with the actual virus, as it would kill the patient).
I meant the immune response being specifically targeted to the currently attacking threat, rather than its facsimile. But hey, if any of the promising claims pan out, I won't care how they accomplished them.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’d certainly look to get a vaccine as soon as possible. If there are multiple candidates I might wait for one which seems more reliable, but not for that long.

I’d not do anything below hand to steal from immuno-compromised people or essential workers, but I’ll be very happy to spend some money on travel and if necessary a private vaccine at the right time.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:00 pm

There was a Chinese report not so long ago claiming that people that had a mild case of covid-19 were only immune for 8 weeks. If that is true, it's likely that a successful vaccine will only give immunity for 2-4 weeks.

You can produce a longer immunity by increasing the dose, but that would mean that you're in danger of getting a serious case of the sickness itself.

Also, when taking into consideration how much money is involved, it's likely that several big pharm companies will cut corners to get to market as quickly as possible and make some big bucks, so you'd have to expect some serious side effects. It normally takes about five years before you know if a vaccine is safe and effective. I'd say that taking any covid-19 vaccine before 2025 is risky business. The cure could easily be worse than the disease.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I trust my health and will live with my positive antibody test and certificate.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:21 pm

Why not just catch the virus, and that will provide immunity and antibodies for a few months. Even a vaccine will likely only be effective for a few months at most, according to what the scientists are saying now.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The OP doesn’t understand how this vaccine distribution will work. There is no chasing it. Countries are plunking down a lot of money to reserve doses so hope you live in one of those countries if you want it early. Second, there will be a pecking order with those over age of 50 first up. And in the US, you better have insurance, be destitute or be prepared to pay.

my guess is we will not see routine availability until Q1 2021.
LETTERBOY and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:09 pm

I meant the immune response being specifically targeted to the currently attacking threat, rather than its facsimile. But hey, if any of the promising claims pan out, I won't care how they accomplished them.
I couldn't find the article I was referring to when I wrote the original reply to you, but here it is:

First data for Moderna Covid-19 vaccine show it spurs an immune response (statnews.com)
The study, which was run by the National Institutes of Health, showed that volunteers who received the vaccine made more neutralizing antibodies than have been seen in most patients who have recovered from Covid-19. But a second injection, four weeks after the first, was required before the vaccine produced a dramatic immune response.
To me, it reads like a stronger immunity is to be expected after the vaccine than after an actual illness.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
...To me, it reads like a stronger immunity is to be expected after the vaccine than after an actual illness.
No, a mass of antibodies alone will not stop an infection -- they must match a specific antigen. Covid (like seasonal flu) constantly mutates, which makes the match difficult. The proof will come from exposed people not getting sick, not from a bunch of in vitro measurements.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'll be giving it a while to see what happens to other people first. The potential side effects of a widely untested vaccine are more concerning to me than potentially catching COVID, at least for now.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:33 pm

You want to race? I suggest you do some research before your rush:Timeline Entry: 4/24/1955

The Cutter Incident

Just a few weeks after the landmark press conference announcing success of the vaccine trials, an Idaho doctor reported a case of paralytic polio in a recently vaccinated girl. Over the next few weeks, similar reports trickled in to local health authorities. All involved a disturbing detail: paralysis began in the vaccinated arm, rather than in the legs as was more common.

It soon emerged that most of the cases of paralytic polio occurred in children inoculated with vaccine produced by Cutter Laboratories in California
BearX220, Pirrito, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
No, a mass of antibodies alone will not stop an infection -- they must match a specific antigen. Covid (like seasonal flu) constantly mutates, which makes the match difficult. The proof will come from exposed people not getting sick, not from a bunch of in vitro measurements.
Everything I have read to this point says that this coronavirus does not mutate at all like the flu which makes a vaccine easier to roll out. The exact reason, iirc, was that although this is an RNA virus in one of its building blocks it has what's best described as a checksum that slows its mutation.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
You want to race? I suggest you do some research before your rush:Timeline Entry: 4/24/1955
The Cutter Incident
That's a perfect example of why we shouldn't be too concerned - that serious flaw was quickly detected and the vaccination program aborted, resulting in only 200 serious injuries or deaths.

For comparison: Covid-19 is killing almost twice as many people in the U.S. per day. Stopping the virus is very urgent, even if we have to take risks with a vaccine.

And that was 65 years ago, vaccine development went a long way since then. AFAIK, vaccines developed in the West do not contain the virus at all.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Chase the vaccine? What does that even mean? Will there be a vaccine (no effective vaccine exists for any coronavirus).
Russia has released it's vaccine for mass production after clearing clinical trials. Expected to be widely used in early August. Though I don't plan to be in Russia for the first batch, but the vaccine is here.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Do you expect someone dishonest enough to accept a bribe to let you jump the queue to be honest enough to give you a real vaccine?
[Personal comment redacted by moderator] Ever hear of Milliionaire visas given by the UK Government in which rich people invest one Million pounds or so and jump the line with a real genuine settlement visa?

Originally Posted by cmd320
I'll be giving it a while to see what happens to other people first. The potential side effects of a widely untested vaccine are more concerning to me than potentially catching COVID, at least for now.
That's a very valid observation. And kind of on my mind as well. Maybe I'll give the Russian batch a miss. Try to get the first Western batch.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2020 at 11:23 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts; personal comment redacted by mod
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:25 am

Given that it's a coronavirus, and the likelihood is that any vaccine will most likely only be effective for a short time(see immunity, common cold), no, I'm not going to go out of my way to get it.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
The OP doesn’t understand how this vaccine distribution will work. There is no chasing it. Countries are plunking down a lot of money to reserve doses so hope you live in one of those countries if you want it early. Second, there will be a pecking order with those over age of 50 first up. And in the US, you better have insurance, be destitute or be prepared to pay.

my guess is we will not see routine availability until Q1 2021.
You're living a dream if you think there will be availability Q1 2021.....

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 19, 2020 at 7:42 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.