Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: testing and travel

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
So you've basically now also agreed to all the people in poor countries relying on tourism to greatly suffer, end up in intergenerational poverty and starve to death or have an early death due to poverty leading to low healthcare, because their poor governments cannot have generous welfare programs which the countries with cushy holding cells have. Do the sufferings of the millions of people in poorer countries reliant on wealthy tourists not mean anything?

I'm not saying one should ignore their own infection status. By all means, we should have some check or certificate before any trip starts. But what I am greatly opposed to is having tests and checks once a trip starts and someone is landing or departing from another country. Because that runs a huge huge HUGE risk of being stranded abroad which can wreck havoc to one's life. Not to mention any such rule will mean tourists will simply not go to these places which means suffering of millions.
No country or population should be under any obligation to risk their lives for western tourists. These places that you're oh-so-compassionate for do not exist for wealthy travelers to enjoy themselves.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ajf87
No country or population should be under any obligation to risk their lives for western tourists. These places that you're oh-so-compassionate for do not exist for wealthy travelers to enjoy themselves.
That is not at all the germane point. Those fragile economies are suffering not primarily or solely due to lack of tourism. Lack of remittances and trade hurts more in most cases. And that is because the economies of Europe and the US have been shut down. Those economies need to start up again not only for their own benefit, but for the benefit of the entire planet. As noted above, inter-generational poverty, malnutrition, starvation, inflation, rising crime is coming. I haven't seen anyone who has an answer for that. And most seem to not comprehend how this is more damaging than COVID. The problem is that all of us here are relatively wealthy with meat on our table.
GUWonder, artemis, BLV and 2 others like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
A difficult issue is what if you test positive or get sick while in a foreign country away from your job, especially towards the end of your planned trip, and have to spend a few weeks there for treatment or quarantine. This is something you need to consider before you travel, if you can afford the delay, take the time off, or work remotely. If not, you travel domestically only.
I don't think it's a showstopper. It's a medical condition, you shouldn't be fired for it any more than if you got sick for some other reason. The worst that should happen is you run out of sick days and it's unpaid.

As for the financial cost--this sort of situation is what insurance exists for. A new form of travel insurance--pays your quarantine/repatriation costs if you're caught by a test. Of course they'll want a negative test soon before your trip.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you've basically now also agreed to all the people in poor countries relying on tourism to greatly suffer, end up in intergenerational poverty and starve to death or have an early death due to poverty leading to low healthcare, because their poor governments cannot have generous welfare programs which the countries with cushy holding cells have. Do the sufferings of the millions of people in poorer countries reliant on wealthy tourists not mean anything?
Or the poor countries will come up with better quarantine facilities.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by stimpy
That is not at all the germane point. Those fragile economies are suffering not primarily or solely due to lack of tourism. Lack of remittances and trade hurts more in most cases. And that is because the economies of Europe and the US have been shut down. Those economies need to start up again not only for their own benefit, but for the benefit of the entire planet. As noted above, inter-generational poverty, malnutrition, starvation, inflation, rising crime is coming. I haven't seen anyone who has an answer for that. And most seem to not comprehend how this is more damaging than COVID. The problem is that all of us here are relatively wealthy with meat on our table.
It irritates me to see people who do not understand the consequences of a cure worse than the disease. The concept of relative risk has gone out the window. Even in America, there are people not going to the doctor for chest pain and other conditions, kids are not getting vaccinations, etc. The self-inflicted gunshot wound is bleeding and some people want to stab a knife in it.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Or the poor countries will come up with better quarantine facilities.
Many poor countries are run by dictators. They care nothing about their populations.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Reading this makes me glad to live in a civilized country and not the usa... How the hell can your sick pay end because you have been sick to long?
Old May 13, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Yreal
Reading this makes me glad to live in a civilized country and not the usa... How the hell can your sick pay end because you have been sick to long?
Easy - a lot of places simply don't offer sick pay. Or many places just offer "2 weeks off, doesn't matter if you utilize these 2 weeks for being sick or whatever else".

Yes America sucks a lot. But here at flyertalk we aren't discussing changing the entire sucky US system. We are discussing living within that system and navigating it as best we can. Given the realities of the US corporate/healthcare systems, any medical tests which can jeopardize your job for no-show, will be absolutely unaaceptable to American tourists.

If countries want the millions of american tourist dollars, their policies will have to cater to them by not having medical tests or quarantines. Of course, countries are free to no allow US tourists, but I don't see how say, the Carribean, Polynesian, or Central/Latin Amercan markets will survive without american dollars.
artemis likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yreal
Because we value shareholder profit above all else, and have the Congress to prove it.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Many poor countries are run by dictators. They care nothing about their populations.
But they care about tourist dollars. Better quarantine facilities for tourists would mean less likelyhood of tourists deciding to stay away.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
As for the financial cost--this sort of situation is what insurance exists for. A new form of travel insurance--pays your quarantine/repatriation costs if you're caught by a test. Of course they'll want a negative test soon before your trip.
Unless governments directly invent and fund that insurance, it will never come into being. Remember, insurance protects against the risk of unforeseen events. Since the WHO declaration of a pandemic, and with nearly every competent medical authority concluding the majority of the world's population will become infected, your getting COVID-19 is very much foreseeable and thus uninsurable.

Last edited by nerdbirdsjc; May 15, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
But they care about tourist dollars. Better quarantine facilities for tourists would mean less likelyhood of tourists deciding to stay away.
I think this is the answer. I would consider international travel pre-vaccine if I knew the exact parameters of a quarantine should it be required. Where would I stay (jail cell or suite at the Ritz)? How food and essentials be provided or obtained? How much would I have to pay? Most importantly, how would access to medical treatment work should symptoms require it?
Old May 14, 2020, 10:20 pm

Absolutely no amount of fancy quarantine short of a resort or fancy hotel (fully paid for) will convince anyone to come to a country which threatens quarantine.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Absolutely no amount of fancy quarantine short of a resort or fancy hotel (fully paid for) will convince anyone to come to a country which threatens quarantine.
There's no way I would visit a place with a quarantine even if it's a complimentary Ritz Carlton.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Quarantine is the standard response right now for anyone with symptoms or testing positive, anywhere in the world. Anything less than that is just crazy. No sane person or government can argue otherwise.

There are of course some serious logistical issues to be solved when that happens on a trip, but there will be a form of quarantine, one way or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.