Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Weird little ways the COVID-19-imposed lack of travel is affecting you

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Obviously a lot of people are suffering from coronavirus, and the lack of travel can have big consequences on things like ability to see loved ones or visit clients, FF mileage balances not growing as usual, etc, but I thought it might be interesting to see what unexpected, little ways the lack of travel is affecting people (positive or negative).

For me, for many years I've stocked the sinks in the bathrooms of my apartment with hotel soaps. I don't take the soap every day I'm in a hotel, but certainly try not to leave partially used bars behind when I check out, and will occasionally take them every day if I quite like them. Now, being home so much more, doing more hand-washing while here, plus not replenishing them from hotel stays, the collection is dwindling fast. I don't remember the last time I had fewer than several dozen hotel soaps in the cupboard. This morning I realized I'm down to a handful and will probably run out in the next couple of weeks. The thought of going out to buy soap for that purpose is strange!

On a more positive note, I've been dealing with some irritation in one of my eyes for a little over a year that has occasionally led to blurry vision. I've been to the optometrist a few times and they tell me it's nothing to worry about, mostly just dryness, and given me some drops and stuff to address it, but it has persisted. I realized the other day that, while it's not gone completely, I'm experiencing a lot less frequently and a lot less severely since travel came to a halt. I hadn't really noticed any correlation between it and travel when I was travelling, but staying in one place for weeks on end (for the first time in many years) does seem to have some effect.

Anyone else seeing weird little changes in life because COVID-19 has killed their travel?
Old May 4, 2020, 1:26 pm

Oooh.. I like this topic, even though my travel isn't completely dead (on a SW plane as I type this).

I've tried a number of new local restaurants, while trying to support local businesses and and whatnot, and some of them are really good - hopefully they'll be able to stick around after all this, and I know I'll do my best to visit.

My gas bill has gone way down, but the interior of my car is more cluttered. I'm normally pretty tidy, but full service carwashes are closed, and I've been running a *ton* more errands for my parents and a few other vulnuerable folks in my life. So, between carrying takeout meals, stuff for house fixits, pets to the vet for my parents, etc - the car is gonna need a good detail pretty soon.

I played Badminton for the first time in 20 years.. a neighbor down the street was playing with his kids and invited me to join when I was walking the dog. Good distance sport.

The eye observation you made is interesting. I noticed my hands need lotion, which I've never bothered with, thanks to the washing and sanitizing.

My news consumption has gone way down. I'm still keeping up with data and facts, but I've found it's better for my sanity to limit that to <30 min a day, and tune out the rest.

I've always had a birdfeeder, cause my dog likes watching the birds - working from home more and more, I do too.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Sleep:
I am going to bed and getting up at the same time every day, weekdays & weekend. Typically go to bed around 11pm, waking up before my alarm usually around 6:15-6:30am. I have never gotten consistent, predictable sleep like this, probably ever.

Work from Home:
Granted, I was used to working alot from home in the past, usually at least 1-2 days a week or the occasional 2 week stretches when things were slow or not traveling. However the extended WFH has gotten to the point where I simply had to take PTO since I was getting burned-out from endless screen time, Skype/Zoom conference calls. Without the in-person meetings, engagement, or travel to break up the monotony I've taken days off just to mix things up from the status quo

Driving:
I haven't bought gas for any of the 3 cars since early March. 2 are still essentially full. I ventured this past weekend more than 4 miles from my home for the first time since 3/12.

News/Media:
Have completely stopped watching any local or national news. Cut that cord off in late-March when the fear mongering hype machine was too much for me to handle.

Suitcase:
My rollerboard is resting quietly up in the attic. Its been there for 2 months now.

Wardrobe:
I haven't put on a dress-shirt in 2 months.

To-Do List:
I am crushing through my spring cleaning, repair, and projects list at a record pace and clearing out some long deffer projects that I didn't get to last year.
This makes the wife happy, which along with both of us being home leads to a lot more of something else as well.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
For the last couple years I've spent very little time at home, even when not travelling. One time my hot-water heater died and it was over a month before I even noticed since I was always showering at the gym or a hotel and didn't cook at home. Needless to say, that's no longer the case. My refrigerator now has food in it, instead of just cheese, condiments and a few drinks. Both the kitchen and bathroom are seeing much more frequent use, and wow, I forgot how quickly kitchens and bathrooms get dirty when you're using them for more than just pouring a glass of wine or brushing your teeth!

It's been years since I bought toothpaste, since I just use the tubes out of amenity kits. Those are running low, so similar to OP I might have to make an unaccustomed toiletry purchase soon.

In general I'm eating more healthily now, or at least getting more vegetables. I'm more sedentary, although I'm still getting in some exercise every morning I just don't move around as much the rest of the day.

Airline pyjamas are great for working from home! I've reorganized most of my apartment by now, and now I store my PJs by pair instead of having all the tops together and all the bottoms together. Makes much more sense.

I have a negative balance on one of my credit cards now, since I only use it for airfare and refunds have exceeded purchases. I've also completely redone my budget: groceries, delivery food, household items up, travel, transit, dine-in restaurants down. Curiously, I spend almost exactly the same on alcohol!
Old May 4, 2020, 5:02 pm

The soap loss is real! I too use hotel soap, and love it. Running very low.

Travel bags actually getting dusty, that never happens. Cannot remember being home for more than 3 weeks without a reason to pack a bag and go.
Dublin_rfk, Adam Smith and Presguy like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:19 pm

Thought of a few others:

1) I've been spending a lot more time on voice calls, so got out and plugged in an old school desk phone (a Cortelco 2500 - the 80s style traditional ones). Works fine with my VoIP router, and is a kinda satisfying to use.

2) My mechanic is a local guy, who started offering a "contact free" pickup and dropoff service. Every car in the family has now been sent in and totally caught up on preventative maintenance, anything deferred, alignment, etc. My car is the only one being used right now, so there's no inconvenience, and I'm sure he needs the business.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Will also echo the soap/shampoo situation. I still have a bunch from all of the ones that I've accumulated from hotel stays, but I've come to the realization that I'll have to buy some at the store in the next month or two, which I haven't had to do in years!

Another impact has been no coffee in the morning. I used to just wait until I got to the office or pick some up along the way, so there was no need for me to have a machine at the house. But since WFH looks like it will go on for a while longer, this will also likely be an upcoming purchase.
Presguy likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I too am running though my hotel supplies of shampoo and conditioner. I have to buy my own shower gel because I run through that far faster. I also learned for the first time in my life that shampoo and conditioner can actually 'go bad' so to speak. Never really thought of that.

I definitely miss the convenience of staying at hotels with room service or at the very least a restaurant or bar downstairs. Having to deal with finding food and alcohol is a PITA.

I've significantly improved my golf game. Because there really hasn't been a lot to do I've found myself playing once a day or at least once every other day for a number of weeks now. I will continue to try and get as much in before the heat becomes completely unbearable for the summer.

In my downtime at home I've decided to play around on E*trade a bit. I've been pleased with the results of that so far.

I no longer visit the supermarket (Publix) for anything. Going to the the supermarket today is the equivalent of flying economy two months ago, the 9th circle of hell. Instead I shop at small local stores and occasionally Whole Foods/Fresh Market, etc.

I have attained the lowest level of elite status at Total Wine.

I never used to tip more than a dollar or two on takeout orders, now though with restaurant employees suffering so badly I try to tip what I normally would dining at the restaurant. Hopefully the restaurants are sharing tips with their staff, I know at least some are.

I'm sure I'll think of more...
zip10001 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Echoing the soap situation too! I'm "happy" to see that a lot of people are on the same boat of having home amenities stocked from hotels :P
My stash is running at 50% after a month or so for soap and I've already been to the grocery store for shampoo.

My coffee consumption has also reduced significantly, along with snack consumption. I also tend to walk much less(!) than when I'm travelling, because I usually take long strolls in the terminals to prevent DVT. Now I'm practically stuck at a desk and chair!
Old May 5, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Totally forgotten which decent food is near which gate at DFW. Before I’d be like “Terminal A, evening flight, Salt Lick it is.”

Remembering all of the typical travel times to/from airports to downtown locations at different times of day is probably going to need a refresh. That was a fairly automatic process based on years of experience.

Not setting an alarm in the morning is probably the weirdest thing. No need to be up in time to iron a shirt, find coffee, check the travel time to the next office or client site, flight status updates, better seat choice check, etc. Now I just wake up and start the day without always a shower, shave, getting properly dressed. And boy do I like it.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I had to actually go out and buy conditioner for my hair. I only use it about once a week, so always relied on the small hotel bottles.

I only drive once or twice a week, so rarely have to fill out on gas. I realized how often my building has lawn maintenance and how easily I can hear people from across the hall (F.U screaming 2yr old).
Old May 5, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Goodness, yes - not that I would have deigned to have mentioned it; but supplies are running low. Not soaps - despite the increased hand-washing, I probably have sufficient to last until Christmas. But, body/hand cream - down to my last few bottles now. Also resorting to washing and re-using airline pyjamas rather than simply wearing and discarding. So, I suppose it's a more sustainable approach that I've been forced into. Also well-stocked for dental kits and razors but hair conditioner is now in short supply here. Funny really, isn't it. Always take such supplies for granted until they're not there.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Once upon a time not too long ago, I use to fly out of CLE at least several times a month.

Now, I take a trip each Saturday to CLE to visit an airport that is devoid of passengers and human traffic but is stocked to the gills with furloughed UA airplanes. I take a picture to memorialize the event.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Agreed on the hotel soap- I'm running low, too! In general, I'm spending a LOT less on travel and for the first time since I can remember, I have no plane reservations booked. Even when I start traveling again, it will be partially funded by a large refund coming from a cancelled tour. As a result. I'm giving more to charity and adding to the grandchildren's 529 accounts.

Another result Im seeing, but not personally, is people choosing to cancel airline- and hotel-based credit cards because they don't see any use for the rewards in the near future.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As my hair grows long, I find that I'm using more shampoo (and it takes longer to wash my hair in the shower).
SEAfarer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.