FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Flying to Sweden Right Now (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2016586-flying-sweden-right-now.html)

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 5:13 am

Flying to Sweden Right Now

Hi All--I haven't been traveling since arriving from LAX more than a month ago now. Was planning a trip to Stockholm for next week and had two questions:

1. The itinerary I'm looking at has me going through ZRH on the outbound and FRA on the inbound. Am I permitted to go through these airports even if my sole purpose is connecting? Under the current rules I am not permitted to enter either of these countries.

2. What the inflight and transit experience been like for passengers? Are any of the F/HON lounges open? Is there any HON service still being provided?

Depending on the answers, I might just pay double to fly direct with SAS.

cas_de Apr 27, 2020 5:19 am

While I don't know the details for sure I would personally try to keep itins as simple as possible and therefore my preference would be to take any direct flight over a connection. AFAIK, all lounges in Germanyare closed.

JohnRain Apr 27, 2020 5:38 am

I guess you're aware that although Sweden has a very liberal Covid 19 policy, you can't (with very few exceptions) enter the country unless you're a Swedish national or you live there: https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...l-15-May-2020/

On a separate note, all LH lounges in Germany are indeed closed.

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 5:41 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 32327959)
I guess you're aware that although Sweden has a very liberal Covid 19 policy, you can't (with very few exceptions) enter the country unless you're a Swedish national or you live there...
https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...l-15-May-2020/

I'm not sure that's correct (and I read that page before making this thread):

Travel from another EU country such as Denmark or Finland, a country that is part of the EEA such as Norway, from the UK, or from Switzerland, hereafter referred to as EEA*, will not be affected. The standard procedure is that foreigners traveling from a non-EEA*country will be denied entry. This will mainly affect arrivals to Swedish airports and sea ports, since Sweden has no external land border.

I'm a foreigner coming from the UK, but US citizen. Have also not been to the US (or anywhere else) in over a month.

The text is confusing because, literally, I am allowed to enter. And this was confirmed by consulate authorities as well. But I am suspicious...

JohnRain Apr 27, 2020 5:46 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32327967)
I'm not sure that's correct (and I read that page before making this thread):
I'm a foreigner coming from the UK, but US citizen. Have also not been to the US (or anywhere else) in over a month.
The text is confusing because, literally, I am allowed to enter. And this was confirmed by consulate authorities as well. But I am suspicious...

I also had to read the text twice before understanding it properly but to me it is clear now.
The way I understand it:
-If you are living in an EU/EEA country you can enter Sweden IF you qualify for one of the exceptions
-If you aren't living in an EU/EEA country you have no chance of entering Sweden

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 5:52 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 32327983)
I also had to read the text twice before understanding it properly but to me it is clear now.
The way I understand it:
-If you are living in an EU/EEA country you can enter Sweden IF you qualify for one of the exceptions
-If you aren't living in an EU/EEA country you have no chance of entering Sweden

I do live in an EU/EEA country, so I can definitely enter. We're a group of three, the other travel companion is also resident of the EU/EEA.

That said, one of my travel companions is not a resident, but also hasn't been outside the UK in over a month, so now I'm a bit worried about him.

I still read it as allowing him in, but it's confusing for sure. I'm sure you're leaning into your opinion because to allow, say, US citizens who travel via an EU/EEA country would be a significant loophole.

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 5:54 am

By the way, according to the LH/Swiss website, all lounges are closed. I knew as much, but for some reason I saw a post around these parts talking about people being in the FCT, so I was confused for a bit.

JohnRain Apr 27, 2020 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32327991)
I do live in an EU/EEA country, so I can definitely enter.

I think you're mistaken. As a EU/EEA resident you can only enter IF you are
  • health care professional
  • individual working with the transportation of goods, e.g. food and medicines
  • embarking or disembarking merchant seaman, as well as commercial driver whose vehicle and cargo is already in Sweden
  • travelling for urgent family reasons
  • going to work within the production of food items in the agricultural industry
EDIT: Sweden is part of Schengen and as you know there are currently significant travel restrictions in place even for travel between Schengen countries. I wanted to go to Stockholm myself to escape the Corona hysteria because I thought that Sweden's liberal attitude would extend to border controls, but unfortunately it doesn't.

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 6:21 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain (Post 32327996)
I think you're mistaken. As a EU/EEA resident you can only enter IF you are
  • health care professional
  • individual working with the transportation of goods, e.g. food and medicines
  • embarking or disembarking merchant seaman, as well as commercial driver whose vehicle and cargo is already in Sweden
  • travelling for urgent family reasons
  • going to work within the production of food items in the agricultural industry
EDIT: Sweden is part of Schengen and as you know there are currently significant travel restrictions in place even for travel between Schengen countries. I wanted to go to Stockholm myself to escape the Corona hysteria because I thought that Sweden's liberal attitude would extend to border controls, but unfortunately it doesn't.

That's interesting. See the way I read it is:

Travel from another EU country such as Denmark or Finland, a country that is part of the EEA such as Norway, from the UK, or from Switzerland, hereafter referred to as EEA*, will not be affected.

Seems straightforward.

I interpret the exceptions to apply to anyone (say, someone coming from the US) who otherwise might not be allowed entry, not for foreigners originating from, say, the UK.

Still getting affirmative guidance from the consulate, so I'm really confused.

JohnRain Apr 27, 2020 6:30 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32328042)
I interpret the exceptions to apply to anyone (say, someone coming from the US) who otherwise might not be allowed entry, not for foreigners originating from, say, the UK. Still getting affirmative guidance from the consulate, so I'm really confused.

I thought just like you initially because I only read the first paragraph, which sounds very encouraging.
But when you put this in the current context (ie every Schengen country imposing strict border controls), it makes no sense. This is why I think that the exceptions also apply to EU/EEA citizens.
Let's hope you're right because I too would love to go to Stockholm, but I'm afraid it won't happen before mid-May at the earliest.
Please keep me posted.

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 6:32 am

Thanks. I might just risk it. Consulate says I can come (confirmed with two different consulates). Hotel says I can come. It’s only a few hours on a plane, and I have nothing better to do lol

cas_de Apr 27, 2020 6:34 am

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

SWEDEN - published 04.04.2020
Passengers arriving from outside Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to nationals of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland, and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a British passport and their family members.
- This does not apply to passengers with a residence permit issued by Sweden.
- This does not apply to passengers with a national visa issued by Sweden.
- This does not apply to the following passengers:
a. healthcare personnel;
b. border workers;
c. personnel transporting goods and other personnel in the transport sector to the necessary extent;
d. persons covered by Chapter 2. Section 10 of the Aliens Act (2005: 716);
e. persons working in international organizations, military personnel and relief workers;
f. passengers in transit;
g. persons with urgent family reasons;
h. persons in need of international protection or for other humanitarian reasons.

sophialite Apr 27, 2020 6:36 am

...so seems like I can enter?

JohnRain Apr 27, 2020 6:51 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32328069)
Thanks. I might just risk it. Consulate says I can come (confirmed with two different consulates). Hotel says I can come. It’s only a few hours on a plane, and I have nothing better to do lol

That’s the FT spirit! :cool:

Raul_R Apr 27, 2020 6:54 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 32328083)
...so seems like I can enter?

It looks me like IF you arrive from UK, you can enter.
Actually, just last Friday I read in my home country interview with ambassador of Sweden and by his words tourists arer highly appreciated and welcomed in Sweden.
But just to be clear, I live in Estonia, inside EU and Schengen and it was Estonian newspaper.

I would certainly start with what the consulate says first. And from there I would be guided by the IATA information.
Pages for domestic consumption (polisien.se, cited above) may not be as reliable for international travel.
I read from the IATA that all these medical staff and other exemptions exist only if the first lists do not apply.