Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Sweden Right Now

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I definitely wouldn't try entering France right now. That's a whole different ballgame compared to Sweden in terms of entry restrictions.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by sophialite
I definitely wouldn't try entering France right now. That's a whole different ballgame compared to Sweden in terms of entry restrictions.

If I did not have business there I wouldn't have tried, but had my barrister take care of it. BUT I read somewhere today that the incidence in increasing in Sweden. But to your situation. I would check with the Swedish embassy

Phone

+1 202 467 2600

Fax

+1 202 467 2699

[email protected]
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When a person arriving at a Swedish border is already legally present in the Schengen area or is legally admissible to the Schengen area, then the person is currently still allowed in by Sweden at Swedish borders.

The March 19th ban — and its extension In/from earlier this month (April) — does not apply in Sweden to people who are still legally admissible in the EU/EEA/UK area; nor does it apply to those who are already legally present in the Schengen area at the time they present themselves to any encountered Swedish border control personnel. That may change eventually but it hasn’t changed even as of yesterday.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by knownothing
If I did not have business there I wouldn't have tried, but had my barrister take care of it. BUT I read somewhere today that the incidence in increasing in Sweden. But to your situation. I would check with the Swedish embassy

Phone

+1 202 467 2600

Fax

+1 202 467 2699

[email protected]
I've already checked.

Incidence is expected to increase. It's in the model. Of course, it's not good news. But I don't expect the government to change its tack unless things deviate materially from what they have modeled.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
I see that quite a few people try to convince sophialite not to travel. Or they find it irresponsible.

I don‘t. I applaud the pioneering spirit.

For those who are scared and won‘t fly, please consider what happens if you apply similar measures to avoid similar dangers. You would for example never want to drive a car, because road traffic accidents cause twice as many deaths as this virus, and by driving a car, you endanger yourself and others, and on top of that, you are causing a number of injuries far in excess of that.

Staying at home and drinking a beer is also not a good idea, because Alcohol causes four times as many deaths. But you of course don‘t drink.
Ok, how about going out on the balcony and having a cigarette? Noooo...bad idea. That is eight times as deadly. But of course you don‘t smoke.
In case that you did go out in the past, please note that the seasonal flu is about 2/3 as deadly as the new one in terms of deaths caused, so you should also keep that in mind in the future if you think that going out now is far too risky. It always was.
In case that you will go out after all, better beware of where you go, because there are still plenty other communicable diseases, which cause over twenty times as many deaths.

What sophialite is doing does not sound out of the way dangerous or irresponsible or stupid to me at all.
Yes, there is a risk, but the whole life is a risk, and flying to Sweden was and is nothing special at all.
Deal with it. Enjoy. Relax.
johan rebel, BLV, athome and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:41 pm
Suspended

The Swedish government recommends against non-essential travel to, from and within Sweden. What more does it take to make it clear that maybe a country doesn’t want visitors coming by for ____ purposes?

There is a greater than zero chance that Sweden’s restriction regime changes in ways that are not entirely advantageous to current travelers and may be even more risky for near-term, prospective travelers. Add to that the possibility that scheduled commercial carrier service that is still available for booking today may turn out to be for flights that are not around in the same way (if at all) next day/week/month when attempting travel.

Stockholm seems to have possibly gotten past its peak death levels for the month, but the situation may change for the worse at some point later.
LondonElite and trouble747 like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 28, 2020 at 4:48 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
agree with gU. and as noted, they are having increased # of positive

but the bottom line per OP is whether he can go at all. My looking at yata says no, he needs to talk to embassy - not cconsolits
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by knownothing
I do not know if Sweden has extended the ban. You should check with their embassy, I was not allowed to fly into Paris last week even though I live there (as a US & Scottish dual citizen)

US & UK surely ? ☺️
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:39 pm
Suspended

The regular year-round Swedish consulates that Sweden was using for issuing visas in January are to provide the same answers as Swedish embassies where Swedish visa-issuing consular services were being provided in January. Whether dealing with a Swedish CG or Swedish embassy, the answer that reflects what was going on yesterday too is that people who arrive at a Swedish border from within the Schengen area is as follows: that for those who arrive to Sweden at a Swedish border are admitted if the person is legally present in the Schengen area and/or is currently admissible into the Schengen area. Either of those two conditions being met works with Swedish border control, although it may at times require showing a passport or national ID indicating legal presence to the border control enforcers. Asylum-seeking in Sweden also is the same as usual last year for those who can get to a Swedish border.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:56 am

The current rules are pretty clear for her (poster is a "she" ):

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/4...v-measures.pdf

Passengers arriving from outside Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland and United Kingdom are not allowed to enter. This does not apply to nationals of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland, and their family members. This does not apply to passengers with a British passport and their family members. This does not apply to passengers with a residence permit issued by Sweden. This does not apply to passengers with a national visa issued by Sweden. This does not apply to the following passengers: a. healthcare personnel; b. border workers; c. personnel transporting goods and other personnel in the transport sector to the necessary extent; d. persons covered by Chapter 2. Section 10 of the Aliens Act (2005: 716); e. persons working in international organizations, military personnel and relief workers; f. passengers in transit; g. persons with urgent family reasons; h. persons in need of international protection or for other humanitarian reasons

Arriving from the UK, no matter what passport you would hold, is already enough to be admitted entry.

Whether this is a good idea or not, that's a judgement call sophialite will have to make. Given the facts and figures for the UK I would think that getting out in London for groceries can be as riskful as staying in Stockholm. The UK may be in lock down and although I am not a fan of the Swedish policy per se, Swedish people do have a very different culture when it comes to social distancing etc.

To keep in mind however is the travel advice from UK goverment: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sweden
They do advise against all but necessary travel. This will have a serious implication on your foreign health insurance coverage, travel insurance coverage etc if you would decide to travel, keep this in mind. IIRC there will also be a mandatory self quarantine for 14 days upon return to the UK.

I have no idea about the lounge offerings in ZRH/FRA. It's been a whilst since I was in the air and the same goes for my clients so no direct feedback to share, sorry. From what I have read many lounges are closed and when open, offerings will be very limited.

Best of luck and if you decide to go, enjoy Ett Hem
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No UK quarantine (yet). Lounges all pretty much closed.

I would caution on reliance on the IATA site. It has been noted in many other threads that it is not always current. Always best to go to the horse's mouth.
Epicura likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:12 am

Even ignoring morality questions, my biggest concern would be getting there and finding myself stuck or with a very expensive bill for new flights desperately trying to get flights back if my original return flight gets cancelled. There is a lot of airline optimism there putting up flights for sale that they will not ever be able to fly.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:12 am

Wasn't the mandatory quarantine announced at least, earlier this week? It's not mentionned on the official gov.uk site I linked indeed.

IATA site is a bit slow, I agree, but the timing of the last update is clearly indicated and one can always double check of course, also in TIMATIC.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Epicura
Wasn't the mandatory quarantine announced at least, earlier this week? It's not mentionned on the official gov.uk site I linked indeed.
Not really. A story was apparently leaked to the Daily Mail and the Telegraph, but never confirmed by the government. Consensus in other threads is that it was some kind a trial balloon that popped.
Epicura likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Thanks for reporting back. Quite interesting as this makes the whole travel ban quite useless once this gets out as public knowledge. Just connect via one of the more relaxed countries in the EEA and you will be admitted into Sweden. Very smart.
This is highly over stated. Current Swedish policy is relying on both freedom of movement within EU/Schengen AND the fact that external borders for at least Schengen and EU/EEA are currently closed (with a few exceptions for essential travel).

The main "loophole" in this case would be that people who are still allowed to exit their home country (not that many to my knowledge, Belgians for instance can not leave the country until June 8 at least for non-essential travel) are not strictly forbidden to fly to Sweden. But that also means that in most cases you will have to be staying in a Schengen/EU/EEA country for a whilst (at least 14 days in order to meet the general 14 days self isolation requirement that most countries will require). There won't be that many non Schengen/EU/EEA residents/passport holders in that specific case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.