Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

UK Government announces 14 day quarantine for arrivals

UK Government announces 14 day quarantine for arrivals

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Wiki Link
Mod note on thread engagement:

A reminder that this thread is about the 14 day UK quarantine.

Now we have some more clarity about how it might work, the thread can return to its original purpose as a help/Information resource. Speculation about the spread of the virus or the performance of politicians is not conducive to helping the community. Let’s keep this away from subjects more suited to OMNI or more general discussion threads, please, and concentrate on news, views, questions and answers that are relevant and on-topic.
The Passenger Locator Form for passengers arriving into the UK can be found here:
https://visas-immigration.service.go...r-locator-form
This can only be completed once you are within 48 hours of arrival in the UK.

List of countries from which quarantine is not a requirement:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...avel-corridors

Exemption list from quarantine requirements - specific details:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

Statutory instrument for individual passengers in England
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0200568_en.pdf

Scottish Statutory Instrument:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2...0200169_en.pdf

Welsh Statutory Instrument:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2...0200574_en.pdf
Welsh language version:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2...0200574_we.pdf

Statutory instrument for transport providers:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 20, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by brunos View Post
I think that there is a French legal issue to quarantine people against their will.
When the measures was announced, officials said that you have to voluntarily accept it otherwise entry would be denied and you have to fly back.
Whether that is more "legal", I don't know.

Could anyone assist me in answering a question from my wife (MD quite specialized on covid)? We live far away and do not read the UK press.
Any insight on the true motivation for imposing a UK quarantine?

From a health reason, it does not make much sense. UK is the bad student of Europe, so the risk is lower, often far lower, elsewhere. A list of risky destinations (e.g. Latin America, India) might have made some sense, as imposed in some other countries at an early stage. But imposing it to all destinations?

Maybe a tourist runs higher risk of catching covid because tourists keep going to crowded public places (beach, swimming pools, cafe, restaurants, shopping). Hence, it would be the behavior rather than the location that is at risk.

Maybe it is an economic consideration. UK is a net exporter of tourists. By forcing them to stay at home, their spending will boost the UK economy rather than the foreign ones.

There must be some rationale besides the "we do something". But as pointed out by many,, it seems weird to implement quarantine so late in the game. The UK had been, by far, the most open country so far.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Basically unanswerable i think most of us who live in the Uk are as perplexed as anyone else. I suppose the key word is "sense" it appears our government is severely lacking in this regard and has been since the virus first came out, with all that is happening confidence is not high things will get any better
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 4:01 am

I think that there is a French legal issue to quarantine people against their will.
When the measures was announced, officials said that you have to voluntarily accept it otherwise entry would be denied and you have to fly back.
Whether that is more "legal", I don't know.

Could anyone assist me in answering a question from my wife (MD quite specialized on covid)? We live far away and do not read the UK press.

From a health reason, it does not make much sense. UK is the bad student of Europe, so the risk is lower, often far lower, elsewhere. A list of risky destinations (e.g. Latin America, India) might have made some sense, as imposed in some other countries at an early stage. But imposing it to all destinations?

Maybe a tourist runs higher risk of catching covid because tourists keep going to crowded public places (beach, swimming pools, cafe, restaurants, shopping). Hence, it would be the behavior rather than the location that is at risk.

Maybe it is an economic consideration. UK is a net exporter of tourists. By forcing them to stay at home, their spending will boost the UK economy rather than the foreign ones.

There must be some rationale besides the "we do something". But as pointed out by many,, it seems weird to implement quarantine so late in the game. The UK had been, by far, the most open country so far.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Motivation?

Demagogy. This government is knee-jerking, trying to look as if it’s knowing what to do. I don’t want to get this post redacted by the moderators, but everything in the way we are tackling Covid is chaotic; a quick google search on schools reopening and the stellar example of Dom Cummings will be further examples or the chaos that we are in at the moment.
Old May 24, 20, 4:19 am

Grant Schapps was on the Andrew Marr show this morning, did anyone watch it and did he say anything else about the quarantine or air bridges?
Old May 24, 20, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Grant Schapps was on the Andrew Marr show this morning, did anyone watch it and did he say anything else about the quarantine or air bridges?
Sadly, it seems like the all consuming issue now is the Cummings thing so the quarantine is no longer news - he wasn't asked any questions about it at the evening press conference yesterday evening either.

Anyone wanting to put more pressure beyond MPs, you are allowed to email Grant Shapps, Dominic Raab, and Priti Patel at their email addresses, and there is also a generic FCO enquiries and home office enquiries email you can use as well. I have done all of the above...
Old May 24, 20, 7:45 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Is it me or is this ‘quarantine’ just a dog and pony show.

Right now there are still quite a bit of restrictions to travel abroad, but as they get lighter then the UK government can think of lightening their own stance.

A lot of things can change until June 8.
Old May 24, 20, 8:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't agree with the quarantine, but the rationale I gave upthread is genuine. Namely it's pointess having quarantine when the overwhelming mode of transmission was within the local community. But when, as is now the case for London, the level of community transmission is close to zero, you have the opportunity to prevent new arrivals bringing new sources of infection to the UK. The underlying assumption that travellers will have a higher level of infection than the UK average is certainly open to question, but probably isn't open to question in London and the South East of England. This logic can be pulled apart (e.g. internal movements within the UK) but HMG has been fairly consistent in this messaging both publicly and internally.

I too expect there will be further changes before it is implemented.
Old May 24, 20, 8:42 am

Meanwhile, from IATA's International Travel Centre, the situation as of today.
The UK is in the company of Mexico, Niger, Libya, Syria and Yemen in not having any relevant limitations. This has been the case since the outbreak of the pandemic. The sheer absurdity of the current situation and of the planned new solution leaves me speechless.

Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 11:36 am

Unfortunately the Cummings thing means nobody is criticising or asking about this at the press conferences anymore. So they can do whatever they want now.
Silver Fox and ExpatExp like this.
Old May 24, 20, 11:40 am

Don't worry the aviation sector will keep up the pressure, I emailed the 3 MPs you suggested too, Spanish tourism chief has waded in also saying he wants to give Brits priority.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 4:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
I think Dominic Cummings and BoJo have jointly rendered this thread obsolete.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Saint4805 View Post
I think Dominic Cummings and BoJo have jointly rendered this thread obsolete.
Something tells me this issue has just been relegated to "back burner" status, at best!
Old May 24, 20, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Populism. Try to distract attention from policy failures, aim to strike a chord with the part of the electoral which wants to see you as being "tough" and doing something whilst avoiding toughening lockdown measures which people are increasingly tired of (and the weekend polemic is not going to help), trying to play the "blame the rest of the world" card.

I do not buy the official rationale for a second, enough competent scientists have underlined its anachronism and even the words of the Government's chief scientific adviser ("we must now manage the risk of transmissions being reintroduced from elsewhere") are vague/prudent enough to fall short of justifying the government plan itself

Can you expand on what you mean? The French rules do include compulsory quarantine for many travellers (notably systematically all travellers from abroad entering the DOM-TOM as well as all travellers with Covid symptoms, otherwise it is by decision of the prefect) so I don't think that's the reason. I think it is just back to France imposing the general principle of reciprocity adapted with whatever modus operandi and exceptions (now confirmed to mirror the general exceptions to travel in France which happen to be quite a lot more generous from the UK ones) suit them. My sense is that they see this as proportionate and easier/cheaper to enforce. Needless to say that as you point out, someone who refuses the volunteer quarantine could be refused entry, and someone who accepts it and is controlled breaching it would still be committing a punishable legal offence.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 25, 20 at 2:44 am
Old May 24, 20, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
<snip>
I do not buy the official rationale for a second, enough competent scientists have underlined its anachronism and even the words of the Government's chief scientific adviser ("we must now manage the risk of transmissions being reintroduced from elsewhere") are vague/prudent enough to fall short of justifying the government plan itself
The key word is transmissions. That is the name of the game. That is the risk to manage, as a population in a proportionate way.
Whilst there is still some learning to do about easing lockdown measures and what impact allowing X or Y or Z has on transmission rates; it is now clear governments/leaders do have tools beyond a pure 'lockdown' to keep transmission under control.
For what its worth I don't believe the official line either. If it were true the exceptions would not include higher risk professions for having above average contact, and thus infection rates, and secondly more likely to transmit than the general population. Now, to be charitable, the original policy choice may have got muddied after the exceptions were bandied about.
The situation now is completely different to mid-March and early April, worldwide, when much less was known and the likelihood of hard to check exponential transmission was very real.
Old May 24, 20, 5:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Let's see what happens when it actually comes into place on June 8 and what happens until then. BBC is still talking about it today even with all the 'other news', talking about 'Air Bridges'. Most other borders are closed right now either with quarantine or with the need to justify a good reason to be there, so whether there is a quarantine or not does not make too much difference at this point, it is when other countries actually start opening up in June that this will be a much bigger issue, which coincidentally is around the time of the 'review'.
paulaf likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I don't agree with the quarantine, but the rationale I gave upthread is genuine. Namely it's pointess having quarantine when the overwhelming mode of transmission was within the local community. But when, as is now the case for London, the level of community transmission is close to zero, you have the opportunity to prevent new arrivals bringing new sources of infection to the UK. The underlying assumption that travellers will have a higher level of infection than the UK average is certainly open to question, but probably isn't open to question in London and the South East of England. This logic can be pulled apart (e.g. internal movements within the UK) but HMG has been fairly consistent in this messaging both publicly and internally.

I too expect there will be further changes before it is implemented.
Your post makes sense.
Just an aside. Britain, like many other countries, are only testing serious cases (and possibly some contacts). Same in HK. But we know that a significant numbers of contagious people are asymptomatic cases (e.g. 40%) and people with mild symptoms. Hence, there is still a lot of contagious people in London. In a month time, those numbers should dwindle as well if London stay "isolated".
My point rather reinforces your comment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: