FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2016518-uk-arrivals-pre-departure-quarantine-post-arrival-currently-no-requirements.html)

Markie Apr 26, 2020 1:32 am

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Daily Mail today:

Everyone entering the UK will be forced to quarantine for a fortnight under plans being drawn up by the Government. The move follows growing pressure for tighter border controls during the coronavirus crisis and would include UK citizens returning from abroad. Airport bosses have complained that the failure to limit arrivals and check passengers has made a mockery of the lockdown. The Mail on Sunday understands that the plan - similar to one operated by Singapore - was agreed during a meeting of Ministers and officials on Wednesday. Officials were told to look at ways to enforce compliance, including large fines or even criminal prosecution, under powers introduced by the Coronavirus Act.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-plans.html

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 1:54 am

Why did it take so long?

kiwifrequentflyer Apr 26, 2020 2:09 am

As an outsider, it's genuinely been extremely confusing.

We even had a thread about that engaged couple, 1 in the USA, 1 in Italy, and someone suggested they go live in the UK, since you could waltz in freely, no quarantine.

garykung Apr 26, 2020 2:22 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325342)
Why did it take so long?

For starter, the PM has been sick due to COVID-19.

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 2:31 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32325385)
For starter, the PM has been sick due to COVID-19.

That's probably the least of the reasons. [OMNI comment redacted by mod] But the British system of government doesn't need the PM to make a decision such as this. It should have been imposed a month ago!

Saint4805 Apr 26, 2020 2:54 am

An enforced 14 day quarantine will surely see PAX coming to the UK grind to a complete halt other than those still trying to get home. Who is going to book a flight knowing what is to come on arrival.

Having both open borders without any screening and a lockdown in place is a bit like having two sprung leaks in a sinking ship. One leak gets plugged and the other is left. I really hope the authorities have been making good use of the last few weeks with a view to implementing the same kind of airport screening that has proved successful in certain other countries.

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Saint4805 (Post 32325423)
An enforced 14 day quarantine will surely see PAX coming to the UK grind to a complete halt other than those still trying to get home. Who is going to book a flight knowing what is to come on arrival.

Having both open borders without any screening and a lockdown in place is a bit like having two sprung leaks in a sinking ship. One leak gets plugged and the other is left. I really hope the authorities have been making good use of the last few weeks with a view to implementing the same kind of airport screening that has proved successful in certain other countries.

A quarantine should have been imposed ages ago, but it is better late than never. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of these airport tests. Can you point to the success they've had?

Saint4805 Apr 26, 2020 3:26 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325453)
A quarantine should have been imposed ages ago, but it is better late than never. I have my doubts about the effectiveness of these airport tests. Can you point to the success they've had?

Just media reports saying that countries such as South Korea and Singapore have included rigorous airport screening as part of their overall contact and trace strategy which has seemingly led to lower deaths per million and a quicker flattening of the curve. I understand that SK were better prepared than most due to their response and learning from SARS. I would imagine that mandatory screening in addition to a mandatory quarantine in itself will make people think twice before even trying to enter the country and thus lower new cases coming into the country.

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Saint4805 (Post 32325469)
Just media reports saying that countries such as South Korea and Singapore have included rigorous airport screening as part of their overall contact and trace strategy which has seemingly led to lower deaths per million and a quicker flattening of the curve. I understand that SK were better prepared than most due to their response and learning from SARS.

If you mean temperature checks on arrival and then hospital/quarantine, etc, then yes, I agree. If you mean Emirates giving Covid-19 tests before travel I'm a bit more sceptical.

garykung Apr 26, 2020 3:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325396)
That's probably the least of the reasons.

It is still a reason. AFAICT - the U.K. does not have law or procedures about succession of power. Because there is no one calling the shot at 10 Downing Street, that definitely has slowed down the response (as government lawyers have to study this constitutional crisis).

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325396)
But the British system of government doesn't need the PM to make a decision such as this. It should have been imposed a month ago!

I know the Home Secretary has discretionary authority. But I am not sure if that authority is large enough to shut down the borders.

Also - I believe that Dominic Raab had hesitated because of the conflict roles. Specifically, he is the Foreign Secretary. If he ordered on behalf of Johnson, he would be overstepping into domestic agenda.

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 3:31 am

I'm not suggesting it has to be that complicated. The cabinet could have decided to restrict travel and impose quarantine. BoJo would have probably signed off on it. But they all just navel-gazed for too long.

garykung Apr 26, 2020 3:41 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325474)
BoJo would have probably signed off on it.

I think one of the problems is the Cabinet was not in contact with BoJo when he was in ICU. And some cabinet members may concern about political and/or legal consequences.

Saint4805 Apr 26, 2020 3:43 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325470)
If you mean temperature checks on arrival and then hospital/quarantine, etc, then yes, I agree. If you mean Emirates giving Covid-19 tests before travel I'm a bit more sceptical.

The countries I cited started with temperature checks on arrival. Airline administered testing was not, to my knowledge, part of these countries' approach.

LondonElite Apr 26, 2020 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Saint4805 (Post 32325491)
The countries I cited started with temperature checks on arrival. Airline administered testing was not, to my knowledge, part of these countries' approach.

Correct. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Saint4805 Apr 26, 2020 3:54 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32325498)
Correct. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

No harm done :)