Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Mod note on thread engagement:

A reminder that this thread is about the self-isolation requirements for UK arrivals.

It is a help/Information resource for those travelling or returning to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from outside the UK. Let's concentrate on news, questions and answers that are relevant and on-topic and stay away from speculations about the spread of the virus, the performance of politicians and other topics which are more suitable for OMNI.

Please stay within these requirements to avoid issues.

LATEST UPDATES

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19

18 March travel to the UK changes

If you will arrive in the UK from abroad after 4am, Friday 18 March, you do not need to:
  • take any COVID-19 tests – before you travel or after you arrive
  • fill in a UK passenger locator form before you travel

This will apply whether you are vaccinated or not.

You also will not need to quarantine when you arrive, in line with current rules.
Other countries still have COVID-19 entry rules in place. You should check travel advice before you travel.
If you will arrive in England before 4am, 18 March, you must follow the current rules as set out in this guidance.

The following historical information is retained for the time being.

The Passenger Locator Form for passengers arriving into the UK can be found here:
https://visas-immigration.service.go...r-locator-form
This can only be completed once you are within 48 hours of arrival in the UK.

Exemption list from quarantine requirements - specific details:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

England
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to England: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/582/contents (this html version is updated, but may not have the very latest updates for Statutory Instruments released in the last few days)

Test to release for England only from 15 December, see post 4776 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32841066-post4776.html

Statutory instrument for transport providers http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Scotland
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Scotland: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/169/contents (this html version is updated)

Wales
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Wales: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/574/contents (this html version is updated) &
Welsh language version: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2...0200574_we.pdf

Northern Ireland
Statutory instrument https://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2021/99/contents (this html version is updated)

PRACTICAL GUIDANCE FOR QUICK RELEASE FROM SELF-ISOLATION (based on November 28th updates)
[This section has been moved lower down in the wiki post following the change in self-isolation rule on 7th January 2022[

Any PCR test noted as a UK Government Day 2 test will be accepted for release from self isolation as soon as you get the negative result. If it is any other PCR test (eg "Fit to Fly") and not advertised specifically as a Day 2 test then it won't be valid.

This means that you can:[list]
  • Book a suitable Day 2 PCR test before you travel and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF (Passenger Locator Form).
    • On your day of arrival go to your scheduled test.
      • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

Alternatively:
        • Book any Day 2 PCR test before you travel even if you do not intend to use this test, and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF to ensure entry to the UK.
          • Note that you are not strictly required to have a PCR booking before arrival, but your carrier might not know that so you run the risk of being denied boarding
          • On your day of arrival (or before end of Day 2) go to a walk-in test centre and take a different test to the one you booked.
            • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

If you are leaving the UK before the end of day 2 then you do not need to take a test, but are required to self-isolate for the duration of your trip (since you do not have a negative result). Also, if you are self-isolating while waiting for a result (and hence have not been informed of a positive result and need to isolate) you may travel to leave the country.

If you take a test and it is positive for any variant of COVID you will be required to isolate for 10 days from the date of the test.

Whether you take a test or not you may be contacted by the UK Test and Trace system at any time if it becomes apparent that you have been in contact with another case. This is very unlikely to happen before day 3 if it is in relation to your flight to UK. Depending on the suspected / identified variant for that case and if you are fully-vaccinated by an accepted programme (see below for links to what this means and valid exemptions) :
        • Omnicron or not fully-vaccinated: You will be required to isolated for 10 days, including a bar on travel to leave the country. A negative Day 2 test does not release you from this requirement.
          • Other and fully vaccinated : You will not be required to isolate.

Test Providers for Day 2/8 tests & Day 5 Test to release
This section is for FTers to post their experience with specific providers (good or bad). Keep it brief and to the point. Please mention how the service is provided and your FT name.

DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits arrived with me on time. Royal Mail slow for return. 5+ days for Day 2 result. #DaveS
DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits both arrived on time, video of tests required, results by late evening Day 3 and Day 9. #TSE
ExpressTest Gatwick - Drive through - Tested early at 1000 a few times for TTR. Results came through in evening. #DaveS
NowTest - Postal - Day 2 kit arrived on time, day 8 did not. Will update with result arrival times when applicable. #wilsnunn
Collinson - Postal - Day 5 Test to Release kit arrived in time. Results and release by end of day 6. #tjcxx
CTM - Postal - Days 2/8 kits arrived together in time. Both sent results 2 days after posting. #tjcxx
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal -Day 2/8 kits arrived late. Results 3+ days from posting. #Gagravarr
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 and Day 8 result on Day 10 - happy customer! #EddLegll
Qured (Ocnologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 (after bedtime; ironically after my TTR result). #KSVVZ2015
Anglia DNA - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived early. (Both were labelled Day2). Results on Day 4 and Day 9. Cheapest on the list at the time, and good service/result. #tjcxx
Qured - Pre-flight test booked and bought through BA. Very efficient service. Highly recommended. #lhrsfo
Randox - Days 2 and 8. Booked two days before return, using BA discount. Kits already arrived on return. Slightly confusing instructions but manageable. Used Randox dropbox and results next day. Good. #lhrsfo
Randox - Day 2 (also used as pre departure test for a London to Milan flight). Used a drop box and results arrived at midnight the next day. #11101
Randox - Day 2 test centre - 2h30 queues outside the test centre in Waterloo. Results of antigen arrived 45 minutes later. #11101
Collinson - Test to Release at LHR T2. Good trip out! Very efficient service and well organised. Used BA discount. Results by end of day. Excellent. #lhrsfo
DAM - Test to Release in Fulham (they have many locations) - the cheapest fast turnaround TTR we have found. They promise 24 hours but in reality me, my wife, and my son (on different days) have received results inside of 12 hours. Very efficient staff as well. Princes outside of Central London as low as 99 GBP. Fulham is 129 GBP. #KSVVZ2015
Boots/Source Bioscience - days 2&8. Both packs sent in the same mail, waiting at the isolation address. Dropped off at postbox at 4pm, result back next day between 4 and 5 pm, very effective. Bought from Boots, £160, but same package sold directly bu Source Bioscience is just £120. Aaargh! Instructions said nasal and throat swabs, did only nasal and marked accordingly, no issues. #WilcoRoger
Collinsons/Stansted walkin TTR - test taken 1:30 pm, email with results 10:10 pm same day If the BA20OFF doesn't work (didn't work for us) there's another discount on the airport's site #WilcoRoger
Ordered Day-2 kit from Chronomics a week before our return for £18.99. Duly dispatched day we were returning to UK, so arrived on day following return. Reasonably simple process to do test and upload -ve result picture. Not sure where +ve result would have led to... #EsherFlyer
Hale Clinic testing centre (near Oxford Circus) - While not the least expensive, appoint schedules are accurate and results returned in promised timeframe. I've used the clinic for Day 2 tests (twice) and antigen test for US (once). I would def utilize again. #ecaarch
Halo at T5 (Sofitel) - Day 2 PCR spit test. Took the test 7pm, results arrived 7am the next day. No queues but a slightly awkward process to follow.

Useful data sources:

New cases per 100k - 7 days: https://covid19.who.int/table
New tests per 1000 - 7 days: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
Vaccination doses per 100: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Sequenced samples uploaded to GISAID: https://www.gisaid.org/index.php?id=208
NHS Track & Trace data (positivity rates for arriving passengers are published every three weeks, so if you can't find the data in the current release it will be in one of the previous two) https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...weekly-reports https://assets.publishing.service.go...ut_week_50.ods
UK daily COVID data https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga...827.1594116739
Risk assessment methodology to inform international travel traffic light system
Data informing international travel traffic-light risk assessments

Testing Terminology
Notes which may assist with understanding which tests to use and with "reuse" of UK tests for other countries regulations:
  • LFT: Lateral Flow Test - A rapid antigen test using nasal / throat swab typically performed by the traveler at home, hotel, etc using simple disposable device. Usually tests the "outer shell" of the nucleus (which causes the symptoms and is reasonably stable across variants) and not the "spikes" (which allow new variants to invade more easily), so gives a positive result for many variants. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...d_antigen_test)
  • PCR: Polymerase Chain Reaction - A laboratory based test which looks at the nucleus of the virus to determine which specific variant it is. After a positive LFT test ("I have some form of COVID") a PCR test ("You have the Gamma variant") allows identification and tracking of new variants to see if they are likely to become a "variant of concern". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction)
  • NAAT: Nucleic Acid Amplification Test - A general class of laboratory based tests which includes PCR, LAMP, etc tests. (See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...b/naats.html)
Print Wikipost

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by paulaf
No it was for travel to Spain who want PCR thanks anyway, sounds like you recommend the Qured test though which is good to know.
Unfortunately the website doesn't work for US citizens. You can't register even though they provide a US phone number field. They ask you to enter the number that was texted to you to confirm, but it never comes.

Ugh.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ministers had indicated around 10 May, but the usual way it works is that it gets leaked to The Daily Telegraph a day or two earlier than that. However you need to do some detective work since all the newspapers are endlessly speculating which countries are in on the list and I think the only certainty is Gibraltar.and similar UKOTs. You best keep an eye on this thread. The Thursday chartt here is one of the data sources involved.
Oh I will be glued to this thread. I am supposed to go to the UK from the US around then, if they somehow change US to neg test required without the quarantine and day 2/8 that would be amazing. Will keep my fingers crossed.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by konagirl2
I don't think the NHS tests will ever be allowed for travel - just my opinion of course. The LFD tests you can pick up you do yourself so there isn't a "provider" to send you a test result email per se and quite frankly are open to fraudulent use (If someone who has tested positive is despwrate to travel the could submit test results taken by someone else. In the guidance for travel they say things like "You cannot use a National Health Service (NHS) test" and "You will need to find a test provider."
My understanding is the Transport Minister has said this will change from May 17th, and people can use a free LFD for their test to return to the UK. I assume this involves declaring the result on the govUK site and then showing check in and border control the email.

Also regards 'transiting' from a red list nation without a direct flight ban on two separate bookings as someone has asked above. I think it is okay. The travel from red list nations is allowed if a UK or Irish national, or a UK resident, and if you are in either landside or airside transit you are exempt from quarantine. I think legally speaking if say you flew direct from India on BA say, then has a Ryanair to Malta booked in 8 hours time you would be okay to travel from LHR to STN to catch you flight provided you had a PLF and test 3 days prior. Anyone with better legal knowledge than me think my interpretation is right or wrong?

As mentioned above I may end up in above situation if Bahrain ends up on red list, however with the added exemption of having seafarer documentation.

Also I looked on BA thread and it looks like sofitel is becoming quarantine hotel till end of June, so I think any hope of the hotel quarantine ending in May is gone sadly. Strange you can buy private tests from April 26, how would this work if you do not even know which hotel you will be taken to for the delivery?

I would like it a lot if UK government made the fact if you stay in England under 2 days you do not need the testing package more clear. It is not clear at all for those not claiming other 'job exemptions'. Remember 'transiting the UK' comes under a 'job exemption' strangely.

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
I live in Switzerland and want to go to Scotland to spend time with care for my terminally ill father who only has months to live.
I have been extremely careful wrt Covid, no travelling, no meeting friends, always working from home and only leave the house for a walk in the forest or a quiet time shop with quality FFP2 mask on, therefore I have no qualms about wanting to avoid the automatic hotel quarantine, especially as it's not clear when dad could take a serious turn for the worse.
I would like to travel next weekend (1st/2nd May)
There are few if any direct flights from Switzerland to Scotland anyway but the options I am considering are
1. Flying direct to Dublin, staying in the hotel next to the airport till the next day then flying to Scotland.
2. Flying via a connection in Heathrow
3. Fly to Dublin via Amsterdam, stying in airport for later flight to Scotland.

I understand that I will need a negative PCR test before I leave and will get one when I land and repeat them regularly the 10 days after I arrive but want to know the best way to be sure of avoiding the hotel quarantine, 1) seems the best option but I'd love some advice.
All 3 are okay, so long as you enter Scotland from within the CTA you do not need to go into a hotel unless you were in a red list nation within prior 10 days. Switzerland is not red list. Easiest would be to fly to LHR, then get a train or plane up so you do not need to add extra complication of dealing with Irish or Dutch procedures. However so long as you are not entering Scotland directly from outside CTA you are fine with any of those 3.
DaveS and konagirl2 like this.

Last edited by SailorTomSparrow; Apr 24, 2021 at 9:49 am Reason: Scotland CTA entry
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for your reply, why do you say 2 is the safest?
I would be staying for the foreseeable future so will look at the 2&8 test package.
I think because 2 is a well worn path by now and I know others who have done that route. BF at LHR are familiar with these connections too. On arrival in Scotland you will be entering as a domestic connection.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by SailorTomSparrow
All 3 are okay, so long as you enter Scotland from within the CTA you do not need to go into a hotel unless you were in a red list nation within prior 10 days. Switzerland is not red list. Easiest would be to fly to LHR, then get a train or plane up so you do not need to add extra complication of dealing with Irish or Dutch procedures. However so long as you are not entering Scotland directly from outside CTA you are fine with any of those 3.
That's great, so if I book a Geneva-Edinburgh flight via Heathrow I'll definitely be fine?
I was concerned that if it's one booked flight, it would be flagged in Scotland.
I imagine this would be the same for my brother flying from Australia, if he flies from Dubai, Singapore etc. to LHR and then gets a connection he'll be ok, he only will have to go to hotel quarantine if he does Dubai-Glasgow or similar?
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:41 am
Suspended

That's great, so if I book a Geneva-Edinburgh flight via Heathrow I'll definitely be fine?
I was concerned that if it's one booked flight, it would be flagged in Scotland.
I imagine this would be the same for my brother flying from Australia, if he flies from Dubai, Singapore etc. to LHR and then gets a connection he'll be ok, he only will have to go to hotel quarantine if he does Dubai-Glasgow or similar?
Hi Denis. You will be completely fine as you entered Scotland directly from within the CTA, and your travel history the last 10 days does not include any red list country. The Scottish hotel quarantine only applies if arriving directly from outside the CTA. Your brother will be fine on that itinerary but I would recommend he transit Singapore and not Dubai as UAE is on the UK red list so he would have to quarantine in a hotel in London if he goes via Dubai. If he goes Australia - Singapore - London - Scotland he will be fine with no hotel quarantine anywhere.

Even Scottish Government website acknowledge that those arriving from abroad via the CTA are exempt from hotel quarantine. You would only have to go into the hotel if you flew directly from Geneva to Edinburgh (i.e outwith the CTA directly into Scotland).

You will enter the UK in LHR, they will check your PLF, covid test past 3 days and day 2 and 8 package for testing. They will not be asking you to go into any hotel. Also as a recommendation for your day 2 and 8 testing package, All for Testing is the cheapest company only charging £99 for both (half what most charge).

I wish you the best and condolences about your father and the situation.
DaveS and Denis Carlin like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SailorTomSparrow
Hi Denis. You will be completely fine as you entered Scotland directly from within the CTA, and your travel history the last 10 days does not include any red list country. The Scottish hotel quarantine only applies if arriving directly from outside the CTA. Your brother will be fine on that itinerary but I would recommend he transit Singapore and not Dubai as UAE is on the UK red list so he would have to quarantine in a hotel in London if he goes via Dubai. If he goes Australia - Singapore - London - Scotland he will be fine with no hotel quarantine anywhere.

Even Scottish Government website acknowledge that those arriving from abroad via the CTA are exempt from hotel quarantine. You would only have to go into the hotel if you flew directly from Geneva to Edinburgh (i.e outwith the CTA directly into Scotland).

You will enter the UK in LHR, they will check your PLF, covid test past 3 days and day 2 and 8 package for testing. They will not be asking you to go into any hotel. Also as a recommendation for your day 2 and 8 testing package, All for Testing is the cheapest company only charging £99 for both (half what most charge).

I wish you the best and condolences about your father and the situation.
That's a wonderful help, thank you so much!
DaveS and SailorTomSparrow like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 11:48 am
Suspended

That's a wonderful help, thank you so much!
Please let us know how you get on.

For more piece of mind for you, here is what the Scottish Government website says.

'If you fly from abroad to an airport in England, you must quarantine in a hotel in England if you have travelled through an area of acute risk during the 10 days before you arrive in England.

You can find a list of countries on the acute list (red list) on gov.uk.

To get help booking hotels in England, use the quarantine hotel booking service.

If you have not travelled through one of these acute risk areas in the 10 days before arriving in England, you will not need to quarantine in a hotel. Instead, you must self-isolate for 10 days (11 nights), either at home or anywhere else you are planning to stay in Scotland, unless you are exempt. Only a small number of people, such as those travelling for essential work, are exempt.'

Also I wonder if anyone knows, do the private providers for day 2 and 8 testing apply to England only? The UK government website for day 2 and 8 testing packages says it is for England only, and if you need a package for Scotland it provides a link to the CMT booking platform. Scottish Government website seems to suggest you can only buy the CMT tests as well. If so that is rather annoying for those with addresses in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland that they are stuck with the £210 fee, where as if with an English address you can buy for as low as £99.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/provider...ional-arrivals
https://www.gov.scot/publications/co...t-you-must-do/

I am surprised to see KLM are operating a daily flight to Edinburgh. I thought pretty much most international flights to Scotland were suspended at the moment apart from a few oil worker exemption flights from Norway. Is anybody aware if these KLM flights are busy or are most people on them exempt under job exemptions? I would imagine vast majority going to Scotland from abroad would be doing so via England to avoid the managed isolation.
DaveS likes this.

Last edited by SailorTomSparrow; Apr 24, 2021 at 11:56 am Reason: KLM flying to Edinburgh
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:49 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I'm becoming very tempted to book a couple of weeks in CUN for May 17th. I'm aware this is a guessing game, but any opinions on how likely Mexico is to be on each list? I'm reading varying opinions from red to green.

An article also hinted of possible relaxation of some of the testing or quarantining for those that have been double vaccinated on the return from yellow/green countries. I know this ia guesswork but is 10 days home isolation still going to be likely for me (having been vaxx'd) from an amber country?

Thanks
esledo likes this.

Last edited by PxC; Apr 24, 2021 at 8:09 pm
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by PxC
I'm becoming very tempted to book a couple of weeks in CAN for May 17th. I'm aware this is a guessing game, but any opinions on how likely Mexico is to be on each list? I'm reading varying opinions from red to green.

An article also hinted of possible relaxation of some of the testing or quarantining for those that have been double vaccinated on the return from yellow/green countries. I know this ia guesswork but is 10 days home isolation still going to be likely for me (having been vaxx'd) from an amber country?

Thanks
CAN - Guangzhou, China?
Or do you mean Cancun CUN?
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:10 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by realgaga
CAN - Guangzhou, China?
Or do you mean Cancun CUN?
Cancun, edited thank you
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: QF LTG
A family member has recently arrived in London and is in home quarantine. They haven’t received any calls yet and are beginning to wonder if there is any enforcement at all? They are complying with quarantine as they need to work from home anyway but does anyone know what the deal is with enforcement? I don’t want them getting fined for missing calls they haven’t received.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
A family member has recently arrived in London and is in home quarantine. They haven’t received any calls yet and are beginning to wonder if there is any enforcement at all? They are complying with quarantine as they need to work from home anyway but does anyone know what the deal is with enforcement? I don’t want them getting fined for missing calls they haven’t received.
If they are staying at home, then you have nothing to worry about. So long as they are doing the day 2/8 tests (and they are allowed to go out to post those off). Some people get daily calls. Others like me hear nothing. Track & Trace could in theory notify the local police to come and visit if calls are missed. That might happen if the police are not too busy (unlikely). Assuming the police find them at home, again nothing to worry about. There is no offence in missing phone calls.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
There's definitely some form of enforcement - I have received a call every day to confirm I'm remaining in quarantine. The calls are not necessarily at the same time of day. They were very upset that I would be 'breaking' quarantine on Day 5 to return to the US, most of the people calling are reading from a set script and don't have a clue as to the fact one can leave early to return home. Today they were more concerned whether my day 2 test was negative however, as it arrived a day late, the lab probably hasn't received it yet (now day 4). However did the Qured test yesterday which seemed to satisfy them.

I can, incidentally, highly recommend Qured. Extremely efficient, excellent information provided prior to doing test and rapid receipt of medical certificate.
Geordie405, PbodyPhoto and DaveS like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by dwugson
There's definitely some form of enforcement - I have received a call every day to confirm I'm remaining in quarantine.
Daily phone calls does not though equate to enforcement. I had daily phone calls for six days but only ever answered once on day 2. I never witnessed any 'enforcement' beyond repeat attempts to call me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.