Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Mod note on thread engagement:

A reminder that this thread is about the self-isolation requirements for UK arrivals.

It is a help/Information resource for those travelling or returning to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from outside the UK. Let's concentrate on news, questions and answers that are relevant and on-topic and stay away from speculations about the spread of the virus, the performance of politicians and other topics which are more suitable for OMNI.

Please stay within these requirements to avoid issues.

LATEST UPDATES

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19

18 March travel to the UK changes

If you will arrive in the UK from abroad after 4am, Friday 18 March, you do not need to:
  • take any COVID-19 tests – before you travel or after you arrive
  • fill in a UK passenger locator form before you travel

This will apply whether you are vaccinated or not.

You also will not need to quarantine when you arrive, in line with current rules.
Other countries still have COVID-19 entry rules in place. You should check travel advice before you travel.
If you will arrive in England before 4am, 18 March, you must follow the current rules as set out in this guidance.

The following historical information is retained for the time being.

The Passenger Locator Form for passengers arriving into the UK can be found here:
https://visas-immigration.service.go...r-locator-form
This can only be completed once you are within 48 hours of arrival in the UK.

Exemption list from quarantine requirements - specific details:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

England
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to England: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/582/contents (this html version is updated, but may not have the very latest updates for Statutory Instruments released in the last few days)

Test to release for England only from 15 December, see post 4776 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32841066-post4776.html

Statutory instrument for transport providers http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Scotland
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Scotland: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/169/contents (this html version is updated)

Wales
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Wales: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/574/contents (this html version is updated) &
Welsh language version: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2...0200574_we.pdf

Northern Ireland
Statutory instrument https://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2021/99/contents (this html version is updated)

PRACTICAL GUIDANCE FOR QUICK RELEASE FROM SELF-ISOLATION (based on November 28th updates)
[This section has been moved lower down in the wiki post following the change in self-isolation rule on 7th January 2022[

Any PCR test noted as a UK Government Day 2 test will be accepted for release from self isolation as soon as you get the negative result. If it is any other PCR test (eg "Fit to Fly") and not advertised specifically as a Day 2 test then it won't be valid.

This means that you can:[list]
  • Book a suitable Day 2 PCR test before you travel and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF (Passenger Locator Form).
    • On your day of arrival go to your scheduled test.
      • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

Alternatively:
        • Book any Day 2 PCR test before you travel even if you do not intend to use this test, and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF to ensure entry to the UK.
          • Note that you are not strictly required to have a PCR booking before arrival, but your carrier might not know that so you run the risk of being denied boarding
          • On your day of arrival (or before end of Day 2) go to a walk-in test centre and take a different test to the one you booked.
            • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

If you are leaving the UK before the end of day 2 then you do not need to take a test, but are required to self-isolate for the duration of your trip (since you do not have a negative result). Also, if you are self-isolating while waiting for a result (and hence have not been informed of a positive result and need to isolate) you may travel to leave the country.

If you take a test and it is positive for any variant of COVID you will be required to isolate for 10 days from the date of the test.

Whether you take a test or not you may be contacted by the UK Test and Trace system at any time if it becomes apparent that you have been in contact with another case. This is very unlikely to happen before day 3 if it is in relation to your flight to UK. Depending on the suspected / identified variant for that case and if you are fully-vaccinated by an accepted programme (see below for links to what this means and valid exemptions) :
        • Omnicron or not fully-vaccinated: You will be required to isolated for 10 days, including a bar on travel to leave the country. A negative Day 2 test does not release you from this requirement.
          • Other and fully vaccinated : You will not be required to isolate.

Test Providers for Day 2/8 tests & Day 5 Test to release
This section is for FTers to post their experience with specific providers (good or bad). Keep it brief and to the point. Please mention how the service is provided and your FT name.

DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits arrived with me on time. Royal Mail slow for return. 5+ days for Day 2 result. #DaveS
DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits both arrived on time, video of tests required, results by late evening Day 3 and Day 9. #TSE
ExpressTest Gatwick - Drive through - Tested early at 1000 a few times for TTR. Results came through in evening. #DaveS
NowTest - Postal - Day 2 kit arrived on time, day 8 did not. Will update with result arrival times when applicable. #wilsnunn
Collinson - Postal - Day 5 Test to Release kit arrived in time. Results and release by end of day 6. #tjcxx
CTM - Postal - Days 2/8 kits arrived together in time. Both sent results 2 days after posting. #tjcxx
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal -Day 2/8 kits arrived late. Results 3+ days from posting. #Gagravarr
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 and Day 8 result on Day 10 - happy customer! #EddLegll
Qured (Ocnologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 (after bedtime; ironically after my TTR result). #KSVVZ2015
Anglia DNA - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived early. (Both were labelled Day2). Results on Day 4 and Day 9. Cheapest on the list at the time, and good service/result. #tjcxx
Qured - Pre-flight test booked and bought through BA. Very efficient service. Highly recommended. #lhrsfo
Randox - Days 2 and 8. Booked two days before return, using BA discount. Kits already arrived on return. Slightly confusing instructions but manageable. Used Randox dropbox and results next day. Good. #lhrsfo
Randox - Day 2 (also used as pre departure test for a London to Milan flight). Used a drop box and results arrived at midnight the next day. #11101
Randox - Day 2 test centre - 2h30 queues outside the test centre in Waterloo. Results of antigen arrived 45 minutes later. #11101
Collinson - Test to Release at LHR T2. Good trip out! Very efficient service and well organised. Used BA discount. Results by end of day. Excellent. #lhrsfo
DAM - Test to Release in Fulham (they have many locations) - the cheapest fast turnaround TTR we have found. They promise 24 hours but in reality me, my wife, and my son (on different days) have received results inside of 12 hours. Very efficient staff as well. Princes outside of Central London as low as 99 GBP. Fulham is 129 GBP. #KSVVZ2015
Boots/Source Bioscience - days 2&8. Both packs sent in the same mail, waiting at the isolation address. Dropped off at postbox at 4pm, result back next day between 4 and 5 pm, very effective. Bought from Boots, £160, but same package sold directly bu Source Bioscience is just £120. Aaargh! Instructions said nasal and throat swabs, did only nasal and marked accordingly, no issues. #WilcoRoger
Collinsons/Stansted walkin TTR - test taken 1:30 pm, email with results 10:10 pm same day If the BA20OFF doesn't work (didn't work for us) there's another discount on the airport's site #WilcoRoger
Ordered Day-2 kit from Chronomics a week before our return for £18.99. Duly dispatched day we were returning to UK, so arrived on day following return. Reasonably simple process to do test and upload -ve result picture. Not sure where +ve result would have led to... #EsherFlyer
Hale Clinic testing centre (near Oxford Circus) - While not the least expensive, appoint schedules are accurate and results returned in promised timeframe. I've used the clinic for Day 2 tests (twice) and antigen test for US (once). I would def utilize again. #ecaarch
Halo at T5 (Sofitel) - Day 2 PCR spit test. Took the test 7pm, results arrived 7am the next day. No queues but a slightly awkward process to follow.

Useful data sources:

New cases per 100k - 7 days: https://covid19.who.int/table
New tests per 1000 - 7 days: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
Vaccination doses per 100: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Sequenced samples uploaded to GISAID: https://www.gisaid.org/index.php?id=208
NHS Track & Trace data (positivity rates for arriving passengers are published every three weeks, so if you can't find the data in the current release it will be in one of the previous two) https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...weekly-reports https://assets.publishing.service.go...ut_week_50.ods
UK daily COVID data https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga...827.1594116739
Risk assessment methodology to inform international travel traffic light system
Data informing international travel traffic-light risk assessments

Testing Terminology
Notes which may assist with understanding which tests to use and with "reuse" of UK tests for other countries regulations:
  • LFT: Lateral Flow Test - A rapid antigen test using nasal / throat swab typically performed by the traveler at home, hotel, etc using simple disposable device. Usually tests the "outer shell" of the nucleus (which causes the symptoms and is reasonably stable across variants) and not the "spikes" (which allow new variants to invade more easily), so gives a positive result for many variants. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...d_antigen_test)
  • PCR: Polymerase Chain Reaction - A laboratory based test which looks at the nucleus of the virus to determine which specific variant it is. After a positive LFT test ("I have some form of COVID") a PCR test ("You have the Gamma variant") allows identification and tracking of new variants to see if they are likely to become a "variant of concern". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction)
  • NAAT: Nucleic Acid Amplification Test - A general class of laboratory based tests which includes PCR, LAMP, etc tests. (See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...b/naats.html)
Print Wikipost

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:24 am

Looking at the historic tabulations of CWS, given the current growth rates and what appears to be guiding the government’s decision making, I’d expect the whole of Europe to be red by mid september. Italy would be in the 25/30 danger zone by then, and the rest would be red. It’d be nice to know if they have a plan that prevents the travel and hospitality sector from imploding but I won’t be holding my breath.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Sidney2i3
Question. Grant Schapps seemed to suggest they use the "new cumulative cases over 7 days per 100k population" as a key factor whereas your data is over 14 days, from the Europa site? Do we know where they get the 7 day data from?

Thanks!
You can generate the data yourself, as it's all publicly available (ECDC sources if you want to use those sources directly, or other sites publish and are easier to find)

Having played around with some data (France, Spain, Belgium)... I'm of the assumption he means 7 consecutive days, where 20 cases per 100k (14 day average is used). So if you go to 20.1 and drop to 19.9 the next day you wouldn't get red-listed. Some countries (Norway) don't do it that way, they just look at whatever the value happens to be on Wednesday and in Cyprus' case that was 20.1, had Cyprus dipped to 19.9 the next day they would have been red-listed for (at least) a week. Assuming this is correct, then it would iron out any short-term blips or discrepancies which is a sensible approach.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
Having played around with some data (France, Spain, Belgium)... I'm of the assumption he means 7 consecutive days, where 20 cases per 100k (14 day average is used).
I don't think so. I think what is meant is literally total new cases over the last 7 days totally above 20/100k. You can get that by also tabulating the "7 day rolling average" on some websites.

So for a country of 10 million, like Greece, the question is: when does the total number of new cases exceed 2,000 over the last 7 days?

Or for a country of 67 million like France or the UK, when does the total number of new cases exceed 13,500 over the last 7 days?

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 15, 2020 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't think so. I think what is meant is literally total new cases over the last 7 days totally above 20/100k. You can get that by also tabulating the "7 day rolling average" on some websites.
If I'm not mistaken, then more countries would have crossed the threshold to warrant quarantine then. Denmark would be red, as their population is 5.8M which would need an average of 116 cases per day (over 7 days). Denmark would have crossed this threshold with an average of 163 as of last Thursday (13th August).

I guess it'll remain a mystery, or I've horribly confused myself with one too many Gin n Tonics this afternoon!
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
Denmark would be red, as their population is 5.8M which would need an average of 116 cases per day (over 7 days). Denmark would have crossed this threshold with an average of 163 as of last Thursday (13th August).
Nope, Denmark needs 1160 cases over a 7 day period (which would be about 166 per day).

You are disaggregating too little (earlier) or too much (now): forget about what is happening over two weeks, and forget about what is happening on a single day.

1) Calculate what is 20/100k for your population (here, for Denmark, with a population of 5.8 million, it is 20 x 5.8million / 100,000 = 1160. As a rule of thumb, it is basically your population in millions multiplied by 200, so 5.8 * 200 = 1160)

2) Calculate the total number of new cases declared over the last 7 period (either look at a site that gives you that total directly, many do, otherwise you can indeed add it up manually, so for today, you'd want to add reported cases on Sunday 9/8 + Monday 10/8 + Tuesday 11/8 + Wednesday 12/8 + Thursday 13/8 + Friday 14/8 + today) and see if that sum exceeds the number you found in 1).

So again, taking the example of the UK here,

1) 67 * 200 = 13,400 casese needed to be above the threshold (sorry, I'm rounding thins here for clarity)

2) New cases over the past 7 days = 1062 + 816 + 1148 + 1009 + 1129 + 1440 + 1012 = 7,716 which is about 5,800 below the threshold so the UK has not met the 20/100k in one week target and is not too near as yet.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One more time at explaining this, longer versions upthread:
- there isn't a formal trigger that definitely puts a country on or off the list
- some countries have advised the FCO they are not encouraging travel
- the 14 days cumulative is used by the sherpas to present to list to the politicians. Anything over 30 is of interest, it is recognised that smaller locations (e.g. Faroes) get silly figures with just a handful of cases
- the 7 day cumulative is then used for cognitive dissonance purposes by those in the Thursday telco.

My experience of this area is that unless it's something like procurement, Trident or Palestinian relations, things are handled much more in a commonsense way than people may think, it's not worth over analysing things.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sidney2i3

Question. Grant Schapps seemed to suggest they use the "new cumulative cases over 7 days per 100k population" as a key factor whereas your data is over 14 days, from the Europa site? Do we know where they get the 7 day data from?
Welcome to Flyertalk Sidney2i3, I hope you have a good trip to Greece, though to be honest I think your trip may be at some risk.

Greece has a central public health reporting system, this data goes off to a wide variety of official databases, the key one used by the Joint Biosecurity Centre is ECDC. ECDC receives a datastream from Greece and many other countries and stores it in a public database ECDC likes the 2 week timeframe, but it is possible using the links above to do your own query on a 7 day or any other timeframe. Some countries (not Greece) only report 5 days a week so there are some limitations on a 7 day view. There are some other official bodies that collect data (WHO, Robert Koch Institut), some academic bodies (John Hopkins) and some media groups, but it can usually all be traced back to the public health body sending their daily file overnight to ECDC, and a team comes in at 08:00 CET to sift through it all.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:29 pm

Hi all,

I've got a trip to the UK coming up in October to visit my house for a few days. I'm assuming that (at best) the current rules will be in place, and I'll be traveling in from a country that I have to quarantine from.

I will be heading straight to the house on arrival in to the UK, and will self-isolate there for a few days as I did a couple of weeks ago. However, my flight to then leave the UK is so early in the morning that I would like to get a hotel either at the airport (e.g., Sofitel LHR), or at a nearby hotel the night before (e.g., Hilton London Paddington) the flight.

Is that permitted under the current rules? I know that we can stay in a hotel the night of arrival back into the UK, but there is nothing mentioned about the night before the flight out of the UK.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Is that permitted under the current rules? I know that we can stay in a hotel the night of arrival back into the UK, but there is nothing mentioned about the night before the flight out of the UK.
It's not clearly defined one way or the other. The legislation mentions that you should depart "directly", which tends to suggest you shouldn't be staying over, but it can be argued both ways. If you went to Bognor Regis for a few days by the sea before going to Heathrow then clearly that would be indirect.

But the rules aren't so tightly worded that I can definitely say you would be right or wrong to do this, perhaps it's better to see the underlying intent. Which is that you meet ideally no-one during the self isolation period. This may not always be possible, so we move to "fewest people, shortest possible time, social distancing (etc)" instead. I cannot see you being in trouble if you keep your return journey with these principles in mind, and self isolate for the main part of your stay.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not clearly defined one way or the other. The legislation mentions that you should depart "directly", which tends to suggest you shouldn't be staying over, but it can be argued both ways. If you went to Bognor Regis for a few days by the sea before going to Heathrow then clearly that would be indirect.

But the rules aren't so tightly worded that I can definitely say you would be right or wrong to do this, perhaps it's better to see the underlying intent. Which is that you meet ideally no-one during the self isolation period. This may not always be possible, so we move to "fewest people, shortest possible time, social distancing (etc)" instead. I cannot see you being in trouble if you keep your return journey with these principles in mind, and self isolate for the main part of your stay.
Thank for your thoughts - this is all something for me to consider as I plan the journey to leave the UK. The entry form would need me to put both addresses and I could do that in advance. I wish I could take a much later flight but nope, it is early morning and there is next to no chance I could get to the airport (other than driving at 4am, and I'm really hoping not to have a car for this journey).
Old Aug 15, 2020, 3:58 pm

Hi all,

I've got a trip to the UK coming up in October to visit my house for a few days. I'm assuming that (at best) the current rules will be in place, and I'll be traveling in from a country that I have to quarantine from.

I will be heading straight to the house on arrival in to the UK, and will self-isolate there for a few days as I did a couple of weeks ago. However, my flight to then leave the UK is so early in the morning that I would like to get a hotel either at the airport (e.g., Sofitel LHR), or at a nearby hotel the night before (e.g., Hilton London Paddington) the flight.

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately, the Government website seems to suggest that this is not allowed:

"You are not allowed to change the place where you are self-isolating except in very limited circumstances, including where:
  • a legal obligation requires you to change address, such as where you are a child whose parents live separately, and you need to move between homes as part of a shared custody agreement
  • it is necessary for you to stay overnight at accommodation before travelling to the place where you will be self-isolating for the remainder of the 14 days
  • there’s an emergency"
That said, if you "cannot remain where you are staying" you can change place of self-isolation. It is unclear what the threshold is to demonstrate such impossibility to stay in the place.
KARFA and Simon Schus like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Unfortunately, the Government website seems to suggest that this is not allowed:

"You are not allowed to change the place where you are self-isolating except in very limited circumstances, including where:
  • a legal obligation requires you to change address, such as where you are a child whose parents live separately, and you need to move between homes as part of a shared custody agreement
  • it is necessary for you to stay overnight at accommodation before travelling to the place where you will be self-isolating for the remainder of the 14 days
  • there’s an emergency"
That said, if you "cannot remain where you are staying" you can change place of self-isolation. It is unclear what the threshold is to demonstrate such impossibility to stay in the place.

you have overanalysed the rules to the extreme. I will counter with stay in the Sofitel overnight then get out of the UK and our overblown bureaucracy! Staying in a hotel was part of your ‘transit’ outbound, just like an airline lounge!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Aug 15, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
you have overanalysed the rules to the extreme. I will counter with stay in the Sofitel overnight then get out of the UK and our overblown bureaucracy! Staying in a hotel was part of your ‘transit’ outbound, just like an airline lounge!
You are allowed to stay in more than 1 place during your quarantine. There is less than a 1 in 1 million chance that someone doing so will be fined for splitting their self isolation period.

This whole thing is being barely enforced on the very basics. No chance at all, that someone actually bothering to self isolate will be in trouble for spending the first nice in a hotel before returning to their home. Bonkers.
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Hi all,

Any thoughts?
You are fine doing that. Go ahead with your plan and don't worry. You probably understand the rules better than your average UKBF employee.

Apparently PHE have been sending texts asking people if they are self isolating and to text back yes or no. That is the check. You're obviously going to text back yes even if you're chilling down the local wetherspoons. Whole thing is laughable.

Not to mention at BRS, UKBF didn't even bother collecting in people's paper submissions of the PLF. 2 months after the policy was introduced...
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:33 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts all!

When I was in the quarantine on my last visit to the UK (early July), there were no paper forms collected at LHR. I just showed the email confirmation to UKBF and that was it. I didn't receive any text messages, phone calls, or in-person visits during my stay in the UK either. Irrespective, I quarantined like a very good boy!

I'll make a final decision nearer the time, subject to the rules remaining the same as they are today. Having been past the local Wetherspoons though, I think I'd need to quarantine for 14-days after going in there anyway (I'm quite partial to a good one but the local one is particularly DIRE) so I'll keep away for now

I'm thinking that the Hilton at Paddington is probably the better option for me rather than the Sofitel LHR T5 but we'll see.

Thank you all We'll get through this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.