Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Airports Suspending Operations Due to Covid-19

Old Apr 23, 20, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards

Westchester County Airport, HPN will be temporarily shutting down as of Monday, April 27 per the NY Times . The Airport will accelerate it's runway repaving project during the closure. The article says that it is the first in the US to completely close.

Are there any other airports suspending, or contemplating suspending operations due to the virus?

There had been rumors of BUR shutting down, but it appears to still be operating.
Old Apr 23, 20, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
not in U.S.

WHBM reported in the Old Timers' Airline and Airliner Discussion thread that London CIty (LCY) is closed

SA Airlink website indicates Skukuza (SZK) in Kruger National Park is closed until further notice
Old Apr 24, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Does anyone know how often Google Earth satellite images are updated? I'm wondering when we'll start seeing empty airports and/or those with lots of parked jets on the taxiways
Old Apr 24, 20, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Does anyone know how often Google Earth satellite images are updated? I'm wondering when we'll start seeing empty airports and/or those with lots of parked jets on the taxiways
Well...Google does not own the satellite. Instead, NASA and other space agencies provides the imagery to Google.

The way I see it - it really depends on the space agencies, not Google.
Old Apr 24, 20, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
I was curious so started to look - it appears that images of MAD, BCN, and FRA are already showing the airports pretty much empty.
Old Apr 24, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I went out to Denver International Airport yesterday. I used the A Line train to get there. The park & ride was mostly empty. The train was also pretty empty (less than 15 passengers for the entire train). I arrived at the airport and the south TSA checkin was mostly empty. TSA pre-check was open but less than 10 were at the checkpoint (the north checkpoint was entirely closed). I went out to all 3 concourses and found similar sights: a basic ghost town. Most shops were closed except for the newstand. A few fast food places were open. The side aprons were full of parked United jets. Only a few flights were taking off. I watched one flight and there were less than 10 passengers or so waiting to board.

It was the most eerie experience I have ever seen. I normally work at the airport on Tuesdays and it has always been busy. The local news says that airport passenger traffic is down 95% of normal. Im thinking maybe it might be closer to 98%.
Old Apr 24, 20, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Well...Google does not own the satellite. Instead, NASA and other space agencies provides the imagery to Google.

The way I see it - it really depends on the space agencies, not Google.
Most of the imagery Google uses is from non-government sources. While the government does still own and operate its own imaging assets, there are several companies that own Earth-observing satellites and sell imagery to end users, including the USG and its spy agencies. Google used to own its own satellites but sold them to another company a few years ago and I think doesn't currently own any.
Old Apr 25, 20, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
MSPeconomist and narvik like this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It varies a lot. I still see Google Map satellite where the view from above photos are 3-15 months out of date. And for Google Earth images, some of the images of the same areas are even 2.5+ years out of date.

And an “update” on Google apps doesn’t necessarily mean a more current image is being viewed as there is some history of the update resulting in more outdated images being put up by/for Google.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 26, 20 at 1:40 am
Old Apr 26, 20, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
ORY is closed since 31/03
Old May 1, 20, 10:18 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Vilnius repurposes airport

With nearly all flights scrapped due to COVID-19, the airport teamed up with the Vilnius International Film Festival. The first movie was the Oscar-winning South Korean drama Parasite on Wednesday (April 29).
https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/30/...rive-in-cinema

Old May 1, 20, 11:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Another brilliant idea in Vilnius.

Lithuania’s capital, Vilnius, has announced plans to turn the city into a vast open-air cafe by giving over much of its public space to hard-hit bar and restaurant owners so they can put their tables outdoors and still observe physical distancing rules.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-cafe-vilnius

Search this Thread
Search Engine: