Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Fiance stuck in Italy | Myself in USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

My fiance traveled back to Italy earlier this year and unfortunately is unable to travel back due to the restrictions.

I’m unable to travel to Italy due to the EU travel ban. I thought maybe we could meet in Mexico, but I’m reading non-essential travel is not permitted.

Barbados was a thought - but looks like the airport is closed and there’s a 14 day mandatory quarantine.

UK? Any suggestions?

thanks
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Where do each of you live?
What passport do each of you hold?
And are you looking to visit each other and then return, or are you looking for someplace to remain until restrictions lift?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
Where do each of you live?
What passport do each of you hold?
And are you looking to visit each other and then return, or are you looking for someplace to remain until restrictions lift?
I have a US passport
He has a US student visa w/ EU passport.

I live in NYC and he lives in Rome. 🤦‍♀️
Yes looking for somewhere we can remain until restrictions lift.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To be honest, I would suggest both of you stay put. Even if you have the stamina and financial means to get to a third country where you may face an extended quarantine, you'll likely not be able to do anything or go anywhere. Most countries don't want to import tourists at the moment. And then you face the potential difficulty of getting back to where you came from, with limited flights, etc.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
To be honest, I would suggest both of you stay put. Even if you have the stamina and financial means to get to a third country where you may face an extended quarantine, you'll likely not be able to do anything or go anywhere. Most countries don't want to import tourists at the moment. And then you face the potential difficulty of getting back to where you came from, with limited flights, etc.
Who knows how long this will go on? It may take 6-8 months (a year!) before we see each other again.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe (unlikely to be that long). No country wants tourism now (and not from NYC or Italy). Even if you manage to get somewhere, you'd effectively be locked in to your hotel or other accommodation for a period of time (maybe that's ok with you) and then you have to find a way of getting back home with almost zero flight infrastructure at the moment. Does that sound like fun?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Maybe (unlikely to be that long). No country wants tourism now (and not from NYC or Italy). Even if you manage to get somewhere, you'd effectively be locked in to your hotel or other accommodation for a period of time (maybe that's ok with you) and then you have to find a way of getting back home with almost zero flight infrastructure at the moment. Does that sound like fun?
Thank you for your input. I’m not looking for “fun”, i’m looking for a safe place to quarantine with my partner.

Your advice.. no country. Thanks got it..

Next?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What specific passport does he hold. It may matter a lot, e.g. Italy vs. some other EU Member State?

While it may well be that things open up sooner, but if you leave the US (and he leaves Italy), you must be prepared to stay where you are for at least 6 months. This means having a place to stay and the funds to support yourself for at least that period of time. Most countries are strained right now and are not looking to take on anyone who may burden resources. Couple that with what may be stringent quarantine requirements and this can be a very unpleasant experience.

As a US national, you can't be denied entry back into the US. But, no way of knowing what quarantine requirements will exist and under what circumstances.

While this is tough, if you are safe & healthy where you are, this is the last time to travel to a place you have never lived and may not have a means of support. It also means convincing consular authorities for that nation that you both will not become a burden and are not taking resources needed locally for the time being.
arollins, wrp96 and SamirD like this.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 23, 2020 at 8:16 am
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What specific passport does he hold. It may matter a lot, e.g. Italy vs. some other EU Member State?

While it may well be that things open up sooner, but if you leave the US (and he leaves Italy), you must be prepared to stay where you are for at least 6 months. This means having a place to stay and the funds to support yourself for at least that period of time. Most countries are strained right now and are not looking to take on anyone who may burden resources. Couple that with what may be stringent quarantine requirements and this can be a very unpleasant experience.

While this is tough, if you are safe & healthy where you are, this is the last time to travel to a place you have never lived and may not have a means of support.
He has an italian passport.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Quarantineer
Thank you for your input. I’m not looking for “fun”, i’m looking for a safe place to quarantine with my partner.

Next?
A "safe place" is one where neither a New Yorker nor an Italian are allowed to enter.

I have no doubt that you won't take anybody's advice... but just stay at home and tell your children and grandchildren in 30 and 60 years how you were separated for a year due to a pandemic, but true love won out...
Redhead, JetBunny, cruisr and 24 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Next?
Same advice, both of you stay put. It could be really hard to go into a third country with no means of living, on top of it in a country were likely you will not have health coverage (insurance will not work as you will be violated "Do not travel" advice from your respective homeland ministers).
I am living alone in one country, my very close family is in another. I am aware that I will not see them before a long time, maybe not even this year. This is hard but having daily chats and videocall regularly help.
Spiff, cruisr, Statman and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:42 am

Stay put. There is a reason why non essential travel is banned globally. Yes it sucks, yes it is unprecedented, but it isn't for no reason. This is a global pandemic which has infected millions and caused ~250k deaths.

Even if you ignore all that and you insist on traveling, chances are it will be a) very expensive, b) some random country, and c) when you land in said random country, you will have a whole host of problems with living for an extended period of time, costs, etc that you wish you just stayed home instead.

You're alive and healthy and presumably your fiance is as well. Be glad, be thankful.
Spiff, Redhead, Statman and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:35 am

UK takes all-comers, so does Ireland.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:53 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
As someone who is unable to see their partner, I understand your frustration. I personally would recommend s0ssos' idea of the UK or Ireland. Plenty of places to get away from crowds and beautiful scenery. Although it could be a little pricey, depending on your financial situation, location you decide to stay, and if you can continue working.

At the same time, I have to give you the advice to simply stay put. It sucks, but we're all in the same boat right now.
MSPeconomist, SamirD and sodaisei like this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: UA
Who knows how long this will go on? It may take 6-8 months (a year!) before we see each other again.
This would also be one of the problems. What country allows a visitor without a visa to stay over 6 months?

Barbados has a mandatory 14 day quarantine in a government facility and minimal flights.

Would a person even be allowed into a foreign country for non essential travel and no family ties and no previous ties to the country for an undetermined amount of time?

I am not aware of any country that is open for tourism at this moment— edit — now I see that UK and Ireland are mentioned — does Ireland have restrictions on people coming from Italy?
irishguy28 and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.