Hotels are refusing local guests

Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Hotels are refusing local guests

I am a member of a local charity group which helps homeless & hungry people. I tried to use some orphan hotel points to get shelter for somebody for a few nights, but at least 2 hotels rejected them because they don't rent rooms to local-area residents during COVID-19. Or perhaps it's an excuse because of the problems some homeless people could cause in these or in normal times: damage to room, prostitution, drug use/dealing.
We have too few shelters here. I hate to take such risks, but I want to give back to God & humanity out of gratitude for all the free room nights I have enjoyed in expensive hotels over the years.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:16 pm

I've seen this policy. I've always thought it would be pretty easy to get around. Just show a form of ID, like a passport, that doesn't have your address.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brendan
I am a member of a local charity group which helps homeless & hungry people. I tried to use some orphan hotel points to get shelter for somebody for a few nights, but at least 2 hotels rejected them because they don't rent rooms to local-area residents during COVID-19. Or perhaps it's an excuse because of the problems some homeless people could cause in these or in normal times: damage to room, prostitution, drug use/dealing.
We have too few shelters here. I hate to take such risks, but I want to give back to God & humanity out of gratitude for all the free room nights I have enjoyed in expensive hotels over the years.
You are taking a huge responsibility and risk putting up people you don't know using your points and credit card (assuming they don't have any). I would urge against it.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Hotels do this primarily for two very good reasons. The first is not to have locals rent rooms, host wild parties and disrupt other guests. The second is to prevent well-meaning do-gooders from dumping homeless people at their doorstep. If you wouldn't welcome them into your own home why bring them to someone else's and leave them there?
jgor, dgreen12, txpenny and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
...at least 2 hotels rejected them because they don't rent rooms to local-area residents during COVID-19.
Aye, I don't think this is unique to COVID-19. The No Locals Policy for hotels is a well-known "thing".
Just duckduckgo it to see some examples (most results are pre-2019 so completely unrelated to COVID-19).
Here's one: https://www.quora.com/Why-would-a-ho...ocally?share=1
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Oh, its definitely a 'thing'. Its used selectively though. A well heeled doctor from town would have no problem renting a room in that hotel.

Its nice of you to try though. Some of the lower end brands (especially the pay by the week brands) might be more accommodating if they are available in the part of town you are looking to rent. We have placed homeless students in Value Place, Woodspring Suites, Extended Stay America.

Unfortunately, the points won't really work there. Good luck.
Brendan and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
I've seen this policy. I've always thought it would be pretty easy to get around. Just show a form of ID, like a passport, that doesn't have your address.
Great idea! OP, just tell the homeless people to show their passport when they check in!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
While I understand where the hotel is coming from, I just want to thank you for your kind heart. It's nice to see.
pilgrim, GUWonder, tstauck and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Hotels do this primarily for two very good reasons. The first is not to have locals rent rooms, host wild parties and disrupt other guests. The second is to prevent well-meaning do-gooders from dumping homeless people at their doorstep. If you wouldn't welcome them into your own home why bring them to someone else's and leave them there?
Well, OP is trying to do good so be reasonable and be nice.

Originally Posted by JNelson113
While I understand where the hotel is coming from, I just want to thank you for your kind heart. It's nice to see.

Well, I guess this policy is selectively enforced. Over the years, I have had to do local stays (for mattress runs, use free nights before they expire, when they shut off the water in my condo, when my AC was broken) and never had a problem.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
After writing my OP, I Googled it and found what Narvik and Badenoch describe, that many hotels cheap-to-midrange have had problems with locals renting rooms to hold noisy &or messy parties. Worse yet, some use rooms for dope-dealing, prostitution, and other illegal activities.

The Hampton Inn where I got them a room got suspicious because the woman had a marked Service Dog, which I had declared in the reservation. Trouble is, her male companion had one, too! And neither was blind nor deaf. She told me that she had been a victim of domestic violence and her dog was for anxiety (Emotional Support?) and defense!

The GM phoned me two hours after check-in, asking me about my Honors account to make sure I had authorized the use of points. Then she said she would let them stay one night only, then refund the rest of my points. She warned me of the risk to my wallet (damages, etc.) because the guests have no credit card & I had to give mine, and to my good reputation with Hilton. Then she thanked me for my good-heartedness and Easter spirit..

Now I feel naive because the guests were not vetted by the leaders of the charity group! I hate to see turn a human being out into the street or a tent in the woods, but I don't want to be aiding & abetting something nasty &or illegal! I gave the guest the phone of a women's shelter, but she said they won't allow her dog there.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Maybe I should have posted my OP in the FlyerTalk Cares forum, given that many hotels had this policy in normal times.

Badenoch, hotels are in the business of renting rooms to strangers, where they have privacy during their stays.

to Bear96's reply to Davie355! Very few homeless people have passports! It could be a solution to people who need lodging because their homes are damaged or under repair, but it does seem strange to present a passport as ID in one's own home country!

Last edited by Brendan; Apr 18, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:27 pm

... I want to give back to God & humanity out of gratitude for all the free room nights I have enjoyed in expensive hotels over the years.
You can always share the benefits of your points with people you know. I agree with others that hotel space is not suitable for charity like yours, since it does not belong entirely to you. Some hotels do open their doors to the homeless. In that case they won't share the credit and risk with others.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Interesting. I've stayed at quite a few hotels in here Santa Barbara where I live (my ex and I were splitting up at the time), always showed my drivers license and my SB address, never once a problem. Also have used points at some of the resorts by the beach and never a problem either.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's also the issue now that a local who wants a hotel room might be self-isolating after exposure. Thus they are a high risk to the hotel employees.
PVDtoDEL and Brendan like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:12 pm

Hotels in NC for Homeless

Because of the concern of spread in shelters, some hotels in NC, including Marriott hotels in the Raleigh/Durham area, are housing homeless
residents by the dozens. Up to 200 rooms in one property were offered.
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.