Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

With all this Covid-19 stuff, opinions on flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Just curious,

With all of the reduced travel related to the Novel Coronavirus issues plaguing the world today. Where are the members here going insofar as to complaining about not getting a PDB, the FA did not look me in the eye and salute me when I boarded, a non-rev obviously stole my D1 upgrade, my pillow was not fluffed to what i've come to expect. Just curious and all..!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Here's my opinion on flying:

Don't fly right now.

If you have to fly right now, then stop complaining. Sit multiple rows away from people. Board last if you're near the front. Expect minimal service because your desire to have liquor on a plane is less important than your flight crew not contracting COVID-19. Get over yourself. And make sure you need to be flying. Or else stay the hell home.
BearX220, JBa, Mr. Tickets and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
My opinion, treat others like you want to be treated. That includes every situation in this crazy, overblown, illogically fearful time of Covid19, including flying.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tvtd
My opinion, treat others like you want to be treated. That includes every situation in this crazy, overblown, illogically fearful time of Covid19, including flying.
I've never once thought of serving a drink to a flight attendant. I'm not sure how your axiom applies here.

And while I personally agree that the situation is overblown, I don't think the "treat others..." applies there either. I'm not concerned about a person passing within a few feet of me on the sidewalk, or going to the grocery store, or whatever. But not understanding that others are concerned about that could cause you a lot more trouble than you want. In my Chicago neighborhood, there are people calling 911, literally, on families eating their lunch in the park (even while distanced away from other families). I choose to follow the rules and be a good member of the community.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JBord
I've never once thought of serving a drink to a flight attendant. I'm not sure how your axiom applies here.

And while I personally agree that the situation is overblown, I don't think the "treat others..." applies there either. I'm not concerned about a person passing within a few feet of me on the sidewalk, or going to the grocery store, or whatever. But not understanding that others are concerned about that could cause you a lot more trouble than you want. In my Chicago neighborhood, there are people calling 911, literally, on families eating their lunch in the park (even while distanced away from other families). I choose to follow the rules and be a good member of the community.
First of all it’s not an axiom, it’s the Golden Rule, the second part of the greatest commandment paraphrased. Second, it assumes a degree of common sense which your reply is sadly lacking. It is only now, and mostly due to fear, that the general public are washing their hands and allowing for personal space while still helping those in need as they can. That was what my post was getting at.

Following the rules involves much more than just obeying them to the letter and obedience to the letter does not necessarily mean you are a good citizen. I sincerely hope you are advocating for the heart of what these rules are addressing in your community which is common sense, unselfishness, awareness of your surroundings and your fellow man, and helping those in need when it is in your power to do so.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tvtd
First of all it’s not an axiom, it’s the Golden Rule, the second part of the greatest commandment paraphrased. Second, it assumes a degree of common sense which your reply is sadly lacking. It is only now, and mostly due to fear, that the general public are washing their hands and allowing for personal space while still helping those in need as they can. That was what my post was getting at.

Following the rules involves much more than just obeying them to the letter and obedience to the letter does not necessarily mean you are a good citizen. I sincerely hope you are advocating for the heart of what these rules are addressing in your community which is common sense, unselfishness, awareness of your surroundings and your fellow man, and helping those in need when it is in your power to do so.

I'm aware of Leviticus 19:18, sorry I used the wrong term. After that, you lost me. Implying I'm not a good citizen who doesn't use common sense would be the first time, to my knowledge, that I've been accused of either, and I'm not sure how they were inferred from my post. But I'll accept the perspective and move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.