Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Urgent advice needed as to visiting terminally ill (non-Covid) parent in the U.K.

Urgent advice needed as to visiting terminally ill (non-Covid) parent in the U.K.

Old Mar 31, 20, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K; Bonvoy-LT Plat

This is a very helpful forum--thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I have an urgent question, to which I couldn't find any prior posting, and wondering if anyone has insight:
Scenario: Lawful permanent resident of the United States (green card holder), who has a terminally-ill (non-COVID) parent in the UK. Considering a trip from US-UK now, and understanding the risks and self-quarantine measures upon arrival in both locales. US CDC advises (but does not appear to mandate) 14-day self quarantine upon return. My question is, if after trip 1, the person needs to make a return to the UK within the 14-day quarantine window, is this even possible or are there any enforcement or travel-prohibition through US CBP? Airlines? Or UK Border Force? The person is separately weighing the additional risks (personal and public) associated. Thank you in advance for constructive responses.
Old Mar 31, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
This is a very helpful forum--thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I have an urgent question, to which I couldn't find any prior posting, and wondering if anyone has insight:
Scenario: Lawful permanent resident of the United States (green card holder), who has a terminally-ill (non-COVID) parent in the UK. Considering a trip from US-UK now, and understanding the risks and self-quarantine measures upon arrival in both locales. US CDC advises (but does not appear to mandate) 14-day self quarantine upon return. My question is, if after trip 1, the person needs to make a return to the UK within the 14-day quarantine window, is this even possible or are there any enforcement or travel-prohibition through US CBP? Airlines? Or UK Border Force? The person is separately weighing the additional risks (personal and public) associated. Thank you in advance for constructive responses.
It would seem to me that if the person goes, quarantines, and then returns, he/she should not go back again during the return quarantine period. It might make more sense for this person to just go to the UK and stay there until the parent passes. I'm sorry, sounds like a dreadful scenario.
Redhead, wrp96, Divegeek and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
This is a truly awful circumstance to be in. One other factor you may have to consider, is whether or not you would even be allowed to visit your parent, particularly if hospitalized , given your own quarantine period. Finally, in the worst case scenario, there are restrictions on funerals to no more than 10 attendees, even immediate family, although as it is unfortunately a parent I would imagine you would be one of the 10. These are very trying times.
Divegeek likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 2:51 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Divegeek, thank you for posting. Your inquiry deserves its own thread and I have created it within the forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
Old Mar 31, 20, 3:49 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Divegeek, Iím sorry to hear about your situation. As far as Iím aware there are no entry restrictions or quarantine requirements in the UK at present. It appears all you need to be concerned about is what you can or cannot do during the 14-day self quarantine upon return to the US including if necessary a return trip to the UK.
Old Mar 31, 20, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you certain that you will be permitted entry to the hospital (presuming that the person is hospitalized)?

You should consider the possibility that either the UK or the US or both may impose a mandatory quarantine at any time.
Old Apr 1, 20, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Another things to consider. I don't want to check current policies. However, chances are very high that the public authorities in the US and UK may issue both extreme exit and entry restrictions. Look at India and New Zealand!
You run the risk of having your flights cancelled, being denied exit, being denied entry, being denied boarding.
Old Apr 1, 20, 9:33 am

I just want to say I am very sorry about your parent. It is hard to lose a parent under any circumstances, and this seems just about as difficult as it can get. If your parent is in any sort of care center/hospital situation, it is very unlikely that you will be allowed into the institution.

Last edited by pt flyer; Apr 1, 20 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 1, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Your friend has my sympathy. Having gone through this with both my parents I know it is a difficult time.

The question of re-entry is likely irrelevant. Would your friend be allowed on a plane during the fourteen day period? The isolation is because there would be a period during those days when someone could be contagious but not showing symptoms. It would be reckless and irresponsible for either the airline or the passenger to put other passengers at the increased risk. Yes, there is a chance any passenger on a plane is infected and not showing symptoms, but there is a heightened risk with someone who recently traveled from country to county on a plane, hence the quarantine.
Old Apr 1, 20, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
My condolences. My understanding is that, if you are in quarantine for 14 days upon your return, you remain in quarantine for the 14 days and cannot travel (cannot leave place of quarantine). Anything else would, by definition, not be a quarantine.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
We are going through the same situation at the moment, albeit in a worse place. Mr. Fink’s 94 year old mother is hospitalized in northern Italy with pneumonia (negative for Covid-19). We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we cannot (and would not even if we could) go there, nor would the hospital even let us in the door if we did manage to get there. We can’t even speak to her on the phone so we have had no contact with her since the day she was admitted two weeks ago. The doctors are letting her know that we call twice daily and hopefully that is of some comfort to her. It is heartbreaking but these are extraordinary times and we have just had to accept it. I know exactly how you are feeling but the number of people you could put at risk by even trying to travel at this time is irresponsible and it would be incredibly reckless for the hospital to even let you past the front door. If possible, try facetime or video calling if she is allowed visitors who can bring in a device (not possible in Italy as no patient devices are allowed in her hospital) but please do not travel. And if you do, stay there until it is over - do not try to go back and forth.
MSPeconomist and LapLap like this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
We are going through the same situation at the moment, albeit in a worse place. Mr. Finkís 94 year old mother is hospitalized in northern Italy with pneumonia (negative for Covid-19). We have resigned ourselves to the fact that we cannot (and would not even if we could) go there, nor would the hospital even let us in the door if we did manage to get there. We canít even speak to her on the phone so we have had no contact with her since the day she was admitted two weeks ago. The doctors are letting her know that we call twice daily and hopefully that is of some comfort to her. It is heartbreaking but these are extraordinary times and we have just had to accept it. I know exactly how you are feeling but the number of people you could put at risk by even trying to travel at this time is irresponsible and it would be incredibly reckless for the hospital to even let you past the front door. If possible, try facetime or video calling if she is allowed visitors who can bring in a device (not possible in Italy as no patient devices are allowed in her hospital) but please do not travel. And if you do, stay there until it is over - do not try to go back and forth.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law and Tico. So sad. xx
Old Apr 3, 20, 7:47 am

Sorry to hear about this. There are many stories like this playing out around the world.

I urge all to draft a medical directive, and to ask parents to do the same if still possible. A conversation should clarify wishes. In some European countries (e.g. Netherlands) GPs (primary care physicians) are calling all elderly patients asking them whether they wish to be put on a ventilator if it comes to that, and noting their wishes in the medical file.
ajGoes and Divegeek like this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
I’m so sorry for your plight, fellow dive geek, if it is you in this difficult position.

AFAIK, is no mandatory quarantine for travel between US and UK, though there is a voluntary self-quarantine. But care facilities in both countries are generally under lockdown, though many have waivers for imminent loss of life, in which case the facility will make arrangements. However, an Administrator of such a facility might well choose to bar a visitor who has just arrived from another country to mitigate risk. That’s assuming the parent is in a facility, and not at home with hospice or other support, in which case I suspect access would be voluntary and by mutual agreement.

Now, that’s speculative, based on what I know from reports - anecdotal. I live in a community with an assisted living and memory care facilities, and they’re locked down to the point residents are brought meals to their rooms, as the communal areas are shut down. No visitors except in dire circumstances. The skilled nursing facilities are required to be under even stricter lockdown.

So, before booking, if I’d contact the facility (if there is such) to determine if access to make final visits would be permitted under the circumstances before booking anything.

if the answer is “no”, perhaps the best that could be done is arranging with another family member, friend etc. virtual visits using apps on a computer or tablet. FaceTime, WhatsApp, Skype, etc. aren’t the same as being there, but having been a hospice volunteer and worked with many grieving people it’s generally better than no contact at all - in fact, it can be comforting for both parties, and helpful to the grieving process.

I’d add the possibilities of further flight cancellations and potential increasing severity of quarantine requirements replacing voluntary guidelines, increasing travel restrictions and being stuck in the UK for some time as fodder for travel considerations. I’m seeing the trusted experts at this time supporting the idea infection and death statistics won’t peak until mid-May. Peak doesn’t mean the end, it merely means the beginning of the end, potentially the first cycle at that (the so-called Spanish flu had three peaks in the period between mid-1918 through early 1920).

Its a difficult dilemma, and unfortunately we will have many more present as a result of the novel Coronavirus. I wish we could offer genuinely constructive advice that would “solve” this one, but there’s no solid, 100% reliable most desired outcome here. I do advise considering using the virtual ways of communicating to “be there” as much as can be arranged.

Divegeek likes this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K; Bonvoy-LT Plat
Thank you all for the thoughtful responses and your concerns. To close the loop, the best solution ended up being to go and plan to just stay -- laptop in hand and remote working as possible. Take care everyone!
ajGoes likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: