Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Possibly flying from one “hot spot” to another.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possibly flying from one “hot spot” to another.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Option 4
If they need to marry asap, for whatever reason, they should do without asking family to travel and postpone any "in person" celebration to better times.
GUWonder, awayIgo, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Lefly
Option 4
If they need to marry asap, for whatever reason, they should do without asking family to travel and postpone any "in person" celebration to better times.
Seriously. I couldn't ask my family to travel right now for my wedding. That's insane, especially with older parents involved as well. At the risk of over-generalizing and not knowing 100% of the situation, this sounds selfish of the soon-to-be newlyweds. I would encourage OP to not go, if only because I'm sure at least one other requested attendee is having second thoughts, and I'm sure seeing another person opt out of attending would make them feel better about doing the same.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Just don't go - it's heartbreaking, but is it work risking the health of yourself, those 10 other people, and (potentially) many many others if someone becomes infected?

I can't fathom why someone would *ask* for others to travel right now, especially around areas with confirmed and widespread community transmission. It's one thing to invite, but to make the request seems selfish and risky.

Just don't go. Zoom, Facetime, send a Facebook Portal as a wedding present and drop in every day - whatever it is, but it's best for everyone to not go.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
At the risk of sounding simultaneously flippant and callous, attending a wedding may hasten a funeral.

Stay home, have the happy couple Skype (etc.) it, and let rip with a proper shindig when the virus crisis is far in the rear view mirror.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
You should stay home and they should postpone the event, even with "only" 12 people. Any of the 12 can infect everyone else. All it takes is one asymptomatic carrier and the party is ruined. And with elderly parents among the 12, the results can be catastrophic.
This. And each of those 12 people could infect more people, who could each then infect more people, and so on. I am constantly surprised by how often people seem to be considering only the risk to themselves, not the spread of the pandemic. Flatten the curve, exponential spread...these are not just idle phrases. (I'm speaking here from my third week under the Bay Area's stay-at-home order.)
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I appreciate everyone's honest input.
jjmadison, wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Agree with all the above. You might not even be able to drive as there are some early reports of highway checkpoints at state borders, and it's just not worth it even for a family event.

One suggestion, the couple could have a party and do a ceremony when things get back to normal. Then you'll be able to attend that and won't have missed anything
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Stay home. With eldery parents present, too high of a chance of creating the converse of "Four Weddings and a Funeral" --> "A Wedding and Four Funerals"
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
If attendance is a must I would suggest going without the family in tow.

It would lessen the chances dramatically of someone getting infected. Self-isolation upon returning home would be a must too.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
If attendance is a must I would suggest going without the family in tow.

It would lessen the chances dramatically of someone getting infected. Self-isolation upon returning home would be a must too.
Before considering this, be sure to check the website where you can click on the state name and see cases, deaths, etc. by county. You seem to be assuming that only NOLA and Detroit are the areas of concern, but the data could surprise you. [For instance, I know that some of the hotspots in Wisconsin are not places one would expect to be especially risky.]
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Honestly, I would cancel. I would say their is a pretty good chance that once you land you will be given a "request" to self quarantine for 14 days.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by aww3583
They've cancelled the rehearsal dinner, official ceremony, and reception. They'd like parents and siblings to attend a ceremony in their home. 12 folks maximum.
Why can't they cancel the ceremony too?

Somehow, I don't think the venue is going to mind...
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Unless you are travelling to cure covid-19 or something, stay the heck home, please.
Skype wedding! Honeymoons are way better without needing to be hooked up to a vent.

My buddy married his wife for health insurance on paper and postponed the ceremony, even his priest and extremely Catholic mother approved.
KRSW, wrp96, Lefly and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Some of the first reported deaths in New Jersey were four members of a family who had attended a family wedding. The ceremony does not a marriage make. Tell them you love them enough not to come. If they want a big celebration, then have one after this is all over, maybe a first anniversary party. I say this as somebody who spent the weekend cancelling reservations for a big family celebration in May. It's just not worth it. I love them too much and I assume from your post you do too.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by nmpls
Unless you are travelling to cure covid-19 or something, stay the heck home, please.
Skype wedding! Honeymoons are way better without needing to be hooked up to a vent.

My buddy married his wife for health insurance on paper and postponed the ceremony, even his priest and extremely Catholic mother approved.
We used the cancellation as a "major event" cause for a health insurance switch. Sadly we couldn't even get married at the courthouse because they're closed here (NYC) but we qualified for domestic partnership which was enough.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.