Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Ugh .. hotel gyms during a pandemic.

-David
Exactly.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Ugh .. hotel gyms during a pandemic.

Stay safe folks.

-David
I'm being cautious, I try to stay away from people, and I'm washing my hands 10 times a day. But this idea that some places are ok and other's aren't, I don't get it. Unless you sit on your sofa 16 hours a day, there are germs and virus everywhere in the world. Go to the grocery store? Hundreds of people have breathed and pawed over the produce you're buying. Grocery delivery? The person bringing it to you might be infected and sneezed on it on the way to your house. Unless you have a self sustaining garden and a lamb in your backyard, you're gonna be out in public and exposed. As long as you wipe down the machines at a gym with a sanitizing wipe, and try to keep your distance from people, I don't see how it's any worse than pushing a grocery cart that dozens of people have touched that day.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I'm being cautious, I try to stay away from people, and I'm washing my hands 10 times a day. But this idea that some places are ok and other's aren't, I don't get it. Unless you sit on your sofa 16 hours a day, there are germs and virus everywhere in the world. Go to the grocery store? Hundreds of people have breathed and pawed over the produce you're buying. Grocery delivery? The person bringing it to you might be infected and sneezed on it on the way to your house. Unless you have a self sustaining garden and a lamb in your backyard, you're gonna be out in public and exposed. As long as you wipe down the machines at a gym with a sanitizing wipe, and try to keep your distance from people, I don't see how it's any worse than pushing a grocery cart that dozens of people have touched that day.
exactly.

I have a feeling the United States’ population will. Not. be able to stay under shelter another 30 + days.

no way.

economy will totally irrevocably tank.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
what kind of workouts are you doing in the gym? If you’re working out there I can virtually guarantee you can find YouTube workouts that will work at home

if you toss me an example workout I can try to put something together for you

here is an example of what the wife’s trainer sent out. You do your full name plus city and state (took us about 45 minutes). Not hard not overly complex no equipment needed and shouldn’t trigger any asthma (if jumping jacks are too much you can sub those out easily enough....probably the burpees too. Would be easy enough to tweak where there isnt any cardio)

Depending on what workouts you currently do and how much variety you are use to you may have to lookup some of the moves, youtube has most of them by name

I use the elliptical and cross trainer. They cost 4 grand so I’m not buying one.

thanks for the info.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by enviroian
exactly.

I have a feeling the United States’ population will. Not. be able to stay under shelter another 30 + days.

no way.

economy will totally irrevocably tank.
Still, Ian, as I mentioned about my BOS trip upthread, I don't know if there's much point in traveling, if everything's gonna be closed when you get there. The idea of a change of scenery might be ok for a day, but when all you can do is look out a hotel window, well......
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
After seeing annerj’s workout list, I’m changing my name to initials.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hey genius , any other things you'd like to share before you start a thread, such as I'm an asthmatic & can't run or do YouTube workouts, & before you insult someone who was actually surprised by your saying you do 2 workouts/day (in your match thread) but can't handle them post C-19?

I'm assuming most of your workouts are weights & your aerobics comes from shagging

But on a serious note. Ian, what the frig are you thinking about going to a hotel & trying to do workouts in public places that could cause you to die. Are you nuts?!

Cheers.
that wasn’t an insult. It was a reprimand of your continual assumptions.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by radonc1
May I make some suggestions?

Rubber bands of various tensions can be bought at sporting goods stores and are excellent replacement for weights. You can see the various exercises one can do on the internet. They substitute quite nicely when a gym is not available.

If you are asthmatic, you shouldn't be doing exercises that will activate the problem. Walking is a perfectly good aerobic exercise, as long as done regularly.
Those rubber band sets work nicely, and are good if you’re sedentary, or need very low impact exercises.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Yeah, I have way too many letters in my full name.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:26 am
Suspended

The people who want to go out will find 1000 reasons to push for it. The people who are cautious will just stay home and not bother arguing.

Last edited by Mama; Mar 31, 2020 at 3:28 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
With so much shut, I don't see the point in going away for a holiday right now.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m an asthmatic. That’s why I can’t run and cant do a majority of the YouTube workouts.
So you are in a high risk category and would even think of traveling right now?
You do know what has been happening to people with asthma who get Coronavirus?

Stay home/stay safe. I'm sure your county has an order anyway (the last time I checked all of the counties in the DFW area did). There's a list of them in this thread:
Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:42 am

MsHalls120 and I are supposed to be at the Four Seasons Astir Palace right now.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by halls120
MsHalls120 and I are supposed to be at the Four Seasons Astir Palace right now.
Man, that's a drag to lose a trip to Greece. Our GND trip is teetering on the edge, as it's now only two months away. Next major one after that is three weeks in Vietnam, not until next January, unless the f@#$ing virus comes back next winter.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
HAHA. Full name, she wouldn't let us get away with initials (I go by R.J.). I think the SO and I both had 14 letters for name and 18 letters for city/state

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.