Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
We did. Then a huge protest was held against regulations in Victoria now there's been a huge spike in cases. Those areas are in full lockdown again

Approx 104 deaths total.
I hope things can be brought under control. Ya'll don't want what we have going on over here.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Well as luck would have it my air conditioning went out right when heat and humidity has spiked here in DFW. Since I can't get a new unit installed until Monday, looks like I'm going to have to take a vacation this weekend. I'm torn between taking a driving vacation or rolling the coronadice and hopping on a flight somewhere. I'm not particularly worried about the flight if I can get a nonstop flight and even better would be a first class seat on the A side of an EMB-175 or CR7/CR9. Definitely want to go someplace cooler if I fly somewhere.

Thoughts on where I might be able to fly nonstop for the weekend on RJs with first class include Northern Michigan (nonstop DFW-TVC) or Sedona and Northern Arizona (DFW-FLG). Yes, Northern Arizona is way more pleasant than Texas in the summer. Upstate NY is out because of the 14-day quarantine (and no nonstops to ALB either). No nonstops to BTV/PWM which is a shame because New England is great in the summer. PDX/SEA seem too covid hot these days. Plus likely full flights...
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Herb687 I vote for flying somewhere. Everything around you is too COVID hot, also temperature hot too.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Herb687
Well as luck would have it my air conditioning went out right when heat and humidity has spiked here in DFW. Since I can't get a new unit installed until Monday, looks like I'm going to have to take a vacation this weekend. I'm torn between taking a driving vacation or rolling the coronadice and hopping on a flight somewhere. I'm not particularly worried about the flight if I can get a nonstop flight and even better would be a first class seat on the A side of an EMB-175 or CR7/CR9. Definitely want to go someplace cooler if I fly somewhere.

Thoughts on where I might be able to fly nonstop for the weekend on RJs with first class include Northern Michigan (nonstop DFW-TVC) or Sedona and Northern Arizona (DFW-FLG). Yes, Northern Arizona is way more pleasant than Texas in the summer. Upstate NY is out because of the 14-day quarantine (and no nonstops to ALB either). No nonstops to BTV/PWM which is a shame because New England is great in the summer. PDX/SEA seem too covid hot these days. Plus likely full flights...
No, you don’t want Northern AZ, but central AZ. Phoenix is so much fun when it’s 110 degrees.

But seriously FLG is nice, but normally rooms double or triple in price on the weekend, during non-Covid times.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:27 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I've still never set foot in a Buc-ee's.
I'm no Texan but the restroom at Buc-ee's is really something.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
We have set our date for one-day drive to FL (about 11 hours) for next Tuesday. Our home county has worse case numbers than my father’s FL county and our beach condo county combined. Aside from actually getting gas, we are going to stop only at rest stops for toilet to avoid gas station crowds. Picnic meals.

I am a little concerned about my dad who is immuno compromised and 77. We have had An occasional friend over outside 8’ or more away. We have gone into Costco with masks. My college son has socialized outside with friends 6’ away. But I know he has accidentally handed a friend a Coke or whatever. He is our weak link, despite how compliant he has been. I am debating whether or not we should wear masks around my father. His home is quite big and kids stay mostly upstairs so I’m thinking unnecessary in general but maybe necessary if in the same room talking. I just don’t know how likely it would be for son (or ourselves for that matter) to have become infected with the activities described above.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I am a little concerned about my dad who is immuno compromised and 77...
Are you staying in the same residence? I suggest only outdoor socially distanced visits. Reduce the risk because you can. You can still see each other. Kids and Zers make mistakes and that’s why new Covid stats include twenty somethings.

one friend who died of Covid got it from his son during a food delivery. That child will feel awful for years over this but they’re both seniors so it’s not as awful. Just a horrid accident.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
Are you staying in the same residence? I suggest only outdoor socially distanced visits. Reduce the risk because you can. You can still see each other. Kids and Zers make mistakes and that’s why new Covid stats include twenty somethings.

one friend who died of Covid got it from his son during a food delivery. That child will feel awful for years over this but they’re both seniors so it’s not as awful. Just a horrid accident.
Yes, we are staying there for a few days. Large house (7k) so for the most part we can stay in one wing where he doesn’t go. I was thinking outside time would be ideal. His living room is probably 800 square feet, so we could sit far away in there. Masked. I need to do some cooking for him and for his freezer and take care of some things around the house. He has been going to grocery store with mask (ordinance in his town) and seeing his girlfriend who is following the rules.

I’m wondering if we should all get tested and then stay locked down at home for a few days before leaving. Any suggestions on how far out to test? I’m also unclear how long it is taking for results with whatever tests are being used at this point.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Thoughts on where I might be able to fly nonstop for the weekend on RJs with first class include Northern Michigan (nonstop DFW-TVC)
Make sure you have a hotel lined up before you book the flight. It's a holiday weekend and a lot of hotels are booked in TVC and other popular locations in MI. BTW - if you haven't checked the weather lately, MI is in the middle of a heat surge w/ 91F degrees for 10 days. Not TX hot & humid, but not as cool as you're thinking.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gaobest

How does the age of someone who dies make it not as awful?
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
We are headed out on our COVID road trip tomorrow, 11 hours drive from Sacramento to Logan Utah for some fun in the Tetons this coming week. We will see how it goes.

Starting to take our possible trip to Maui more seriously for October depending on how things look by then...since it appears there will be a pathway into the island and the flights are nonstop. Plus, our planned Thanksgiving trip to Chile is officially scrapped, so I don't mind spending some good money for nice places in Maui now.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’m wondering if we should all get tested and then stay locked down at home for a few days before leaving. Any suggestions on how far out to test? I’m also unclear how long it is taking for results with whatever tests are being used at this point.
Friends' family is at the beach this week. They were all tested last week because his niece is immuno-compromised. Grandparents were tested Tuesday and got their results back Thursday. Friend and his family were tested Wednesday - his family got their tests back on Saturday, his didn't come until Monday. After testing they all went home and stayed home until the vacation to make sure they weren't bringing anything to his niece.

If you are concerned, you could do something similar. I would give yourself at least 5 days to get the test results back based on my friends' experience above.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Friends' family is at the beach this week. They were all tested last week because his niece is immuno-compromised. Grandparents were tested Tuesday and got their results back Thursday. Friend and his family were tested Wednesday - his family got their tests back on Saturday, his didn't come until Monday. After testing they all went home and stayed home until the vacation to make sure they weren't bringing anything to his niece.

If you are concerned, you could do something similar. I would give yourself at least 5 days to get the test results back based on my friends' experience above.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I’m going to see about getting us tested today.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I'm headed to Charlevoix next month. Yes, TVC was closer to fly to but by flying non stop into Grand Rapids the fare was $200 less. It's only a 2 hour drive straight up 131.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:17 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm headed to Charlevoix next month. Yes, TVC was closer to fly to but by flying non stop into Grand Rapids the fare was $200 less. It's only a 2 hour drive straight up 131.
I would love to get to LTB this year, but we're just not comfortable with it. By the way, plan on it taking 3 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.